Any one seen one of these?

Started by jimbob, July 30, 2005, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

http://www.godlyke.com/product.asp?item=125

I seen one of these at the clearance center the other day. It has been there 3 months with no buyer - as is broken- 150.00$$ hmmmm anyways it looked as though someone found there way into the back of the hammond enclosure. I noticed that the ic was scratched off at the factory. I suppose thats a way to keep your stuff from being copied? The board looked similar to a GGG board. Anyways, I was just wondering as I looked at this DIY looking effect among the dead at the Musiciansfriend clearance center.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

puretube

Transmogrifox

I've heard good things about them.  My understanding is that they are an improved Mutron, likely using the Vactrol to modulate a state variable biquadradure filter.  I'm not entirely sure that there's anything more amazing to it than a Mutron, or 'Neutron'.  I suspect the envelope follower stage probably has a full-wave recifier and a few orders of low-pass filtering to make a little more sharp divider between pass-band and stop-band (that way it's possible to get faster dynamic response without suffering from rectifier trash modulated into the audio path).  They must have done a little more tweaking with the Q control so that the gain is compensated at different settings so a guitar signal has a relatively uniform output power at all settings.  It's almost guaranteed it's a winner if you have $200 to shell out.  I would not pay $150 for a non-working unit.  It could be a fair amount of work to reverse engineer it then fix it considering you could build a Neutron with Harry Bissell's envelope follower in place of the Mutron follower for about the same amount of time and effort and 1/3 of the price  (or less).
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.