SansAmp Classic... anyone else built one?

Started by Bill Bergman, August 16, 2005, 09:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aharon

Quote from: Bill BergmanNo problem Aharon. I knew what you meant. :lol:

:D  :wink: :lol:  :oops:
Aharon
Aharon

Bill Bergman

Darn !!!! my soldier iron just burnt out :x

So, I decided to start on a picture project for my wife that I had ben putting off. While digging thru the pile of digital photos lookikng for flower pics I found some pics of my first SA Classic and notice on the closeups I had used a couple wrong value caps(I use to drink a bit while build pedals). It will be interesting to see if it changes the sound of the second one. :shock:

Bill Bergman

Quote from: bwanasonic
Quote from: Bill Bergmanway,way better than the sansamp GT.

Hmm, in front of a tube amp I always preferred the GT. But direct, or maybe with an SS amp, the classic does rule.

Kerry M

I believe your right.
I compaired the GT to the Classic on my Mini tube(sub mini tube High Octane clone) and my Mini Cube(Roland SS), but it may not be the best comparison because of the speaker I used on the tube amp.

george

nelson

didnt kurt cobain use a sansamp classic at one point? into a mesa boogie preamp then into crown power amps before his marshall cabs...?

I think he did....
Adds to the mojo factor of this unit I am sure.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Bluesgeetar

Any difference between the newer sansamp classic and the old one.  I have an old one from 1990.  It just says sansamp on it with no classic or anything.  Looks the same as the sansamp classic, knob and dipswitch wise.

Bill Bergman

If any of you guys are about to start building one from my layout..... several words of advice.......Beg FP to do a new layout with less off board wiring(as Aharon suggested).  :!:

or check with me before you start for some advice and a few possible corrections(not serious ones)........ :?

Bill Bergman

Just about done with #2. Once again I'll say the wiring is a terrible nightmare. It sounds similar to the first one although I had used a few wrong cap values in the first one(I notice from old closeup photos I took). I think that's why I had to use a jumper from R27 to pin 7 on the TL072.

You don't need  that jumper if you used the right values that I didn't.

The only thing that's not right on either one is dip switch 6. It's suppost to be a tube sound amp setting. It does very little if anything. I would strongly suggest to any one who builds this to experiment with the noted values on the schematic (mainly to the dip switches) before final assembly. Here's a few more pics.... http://aronnelson.com/gallery/3dm?page=2

Bill Bergman

Hopefully no one is following this thread because I'm "Flip-Flopping" like John Kerry(who I voted for).
The cut trace between C16 and R27 with a jumper from R27 to pin 7 of the TL072 which I said yesterday to ignore has a major effect  -
Upside 50% more gain and presence(you'll probably need to dial back on the treble knob a bit)
Downside - you lose the function of dipswitch 7 (no biggy)

nelson

yes "flip flopping"...glad you voted for the lesser of two evils  :twisted:

I do want to build this. But I want to wait till it is Verified by an electronic voting machine.

Or atleast until someone in a swiftboat verifies it as working.

Or i could wait until sansamp releases the original documents on it, ofcourse with the important bits blacked out.

Seriously though, has there been any word from the venerable layout magician Fp on this?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Bill Bergman

I verify it works because I built 2 of them(With my guitar and amp it souuds GREAT but your results may vary due to differentguitar/amp setups......I'm covering my butt).....but I would not recommend any one to build one till a layout is done without the off board connections to the switches.

Here's a few more observations C25 should be at least a 200pf cap and Hmmm.... leaving my self room to Flip-Flop again, I wonder if I remove the optional 39pf cap from pins 1 & 2 that I put there to kill the squeal from max present setting if that would give me the gain with out the previous forsaid jumper....... confused? I know I am :shock:

nelson

what petition do I sign to get FP to do it? :lol:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Bill Bergman

kugua

i remember a japan web have some classic pictures.i wanna to see them,anyone have them?the pictures are inside classic.not the schematic.
no

kugua

no

evertonberger

Hey Bill... the second build works??
I am from brazil and this will be my project for the vacation... when you speak in flip-floped means I have to do a mirror on the circuit board ???
I am confusing...
You have some observations to a new builder??
Thanks

Bill Bergman

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure what I was talking about.....it was a year ago. I'm pretty sure I was not talking about mirroring the layout. I should be ok as is.

evertonberger

Ok my mess I understand now...
But your have some tips for this build... some mods to the people who want to build this clone??

Another some questions:
In your build you add an extra 39p cap between tl027 pins 1 and 2 because it squel??
For more gain you break the conection of C16 and add a jumper from R27 to the pin 8 of TL072...
This is correct??

Your build works nice?? This is a good project ?? Have you tested with a bass??
Thanks for your time

Bill Bergman

It's a fairly difficult project due to the number of componets and specially the off board wiring. I like mine very much but have never tried it with a bass or compared it to an original unit.

DimebuGG