SansAmp Classic... anyone else built one?

Started by Bill Bergman, August 16, 2005, 09:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gila_Crisis

i'm gonna build one following this schem:
Sansamp Classic Schem

which seams to be verified!! (on another forum i read 2 post that told with this schem it sounds like the original).
plus i've done a layout which you can download here (it's still not verified but it should be fine):

Sansamp Classic Project ZIP

Bill Bergman

Gila_Crisis

thank you Bill, I just worked it out from a layout i found on a japanese website

Gila_Crisis

good news: finally i got all the components and this evening i'll start with the build.
i'll let you know when i'll got something working/sounding

mat

Good luck for the build. I have an original but it does not work. I'll start to debug it asap and if I cannot get it to work I'll build a new one from Your layout to the original box. Thanks for the layout !

Mat

frank_p

Quote from: Gila_Crisis on December 17, 2008, 05:25:17 AM
i'm gonna build one following this schem:
Sansamp Classic Schem

which seams to be verified!! (on another forum i read 2 post that told with this schem it sounds like the original).
plus i've done a layout which you can download here (it's still not verified but it should be fine):

Sansamp Classic Project ZIP

Is it me or the first link for the schem. do not work ?
Is it the same schem. as the one in the zipped file ?

Thanks

Franc.-Hugo

slacker

To get the top link to work you have to copy it and paste it straight into the URL address bar, or whatever it's called.

frank_p

OK, it worked.

Thanks Gila and Slacker !  :)

I toughted (is it how it is spelling) the schem. was more complex...

F-H

Gila_Crisis

yep the schem in the zip is the same as the one of the link  :icon_wink:

today i finished (almost) to populated the board (I'm mad, i'm building this on perfboard!!!), i noticed the diode 1N4148 it's wrong in the layout. you should wired in between +9V and GND!!!!

Gila_Crisis

here it's a suggestion for a better and right placement of D3 and C26 in my layout:

Gila_Crisis

so the work in progress is at this point:

whish me luck for the wiring x_X'....

frank_p

Removed: sorry I was on the wrong page...

Mark Hammer

Since the original SansAmp came out, we've seen the arrival of all manner of amp simulators, even on dirt cheap practice amps you can buy at Radio Shack and stuff from Behringer and others.

So, my question is:  Is it still worth it to attempt making a SansAmp anymore, in light of all the things that can be economically purchased which try to do the same thing?  Accuracy of emulation aside, are there sounds the SansAmp makes that make it worth one's time and money to either buy or build, or has that time passed?

I've never played one, so I ask the question in all sincerity.  I have no idea or bias as to what the answer ought to be.  I just know that there are a whole lot more boxes/devices with amp-model settings now than there were when the original was released, and as time marches on our criteria for deciding that an emulation is "accurate" start to shift.

frank_p

http://home.thezone.net/~sreid/nirvana/equip.htm

Perhaps a questionable answer would be: what song-record Nirvana recorded with the sansamp and figure out if it is worth it (?)

Gila_Crisis

the sansamp is something mithological to me and that why i'm building it.

i hope i'll work as it should.

btw another work in progress pic:

Gila_Crisis

btw kurt used one live during the In Utero tour as main distiortion box!

Mark Hammer

Yeah.  I'm not challenging whether it does something useful or desirable.  And judging by how many people swore by it for a number of years, I don't doubt that it has a rightful place in the history of pivotal boxes.  I'm just wondering if what people expect it to do for them, now some years after it originally came out, is the sort of thing that can actually be done "better" by a bunch of other things out there now.

frank_p

Well, perhaps being enthusiast about building it is just a good reason for building it.  And enthusiasm is generally a good thing.  Perhaps it would be a better box to study stage-by-stage than just build and throw in the Hammond box but, let not discourage those who are on the road to sonic "Nirvana".

Gila_Crisis

finally i finished it following my project and it sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i only have a little problem with DIP switch 7 but the rest is sounding awesome and great!!! a really wonderfull distortion device

rock'n'roll!!!! :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: