sorta OT: Jeff Beck's new CD

Started by ahermida, September 05, 2003, 05:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahermida

Has anyone heard Jeff Beck's new CD?  This one completes the "trilogy" of Jeff's use of sampling and loops.  The music is somewhat darker (compared to the other two) and his guitar sound seems to be the result of going though a "few" pedals...in one of the tracks the guitar sounds like its going through some ring modulation.

Alf

MartyB

Is this "You Had It Coming" ?  That's the last one I heard.

Marcos - Munky

I didn't heard, but he appeared in the cover of the brazilian Guitar Player magazine of this month. Lokks like a cool guy. He said that he didn't liked the new CD, and will not record more songs with a computer, will records only with a real band.

SoundTech

Ah, cool.  A new one came out last month called "Jeff".  I'll have to go me some of that.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

sliberty

I am a long term Jeff Beck fan, and have to admit I think the new album sucks for the most part. I saw Jeff with BB live last month, and thankfully, he played very little from the new CD - he totally rocked too. Now that the trilogy is finished, maybe Jeff will get back to work on some real music in the studio. BTW - Bozzio is unbelievable!

JT

I disagree..........upon several listens Jeff is still ahead of the pack pushing the envelope.... Thats his game .he does what nobody else can......while its not the same as what he has done in the past this is the obvious addition to the last  2 cds..Change is sometimes very uncomfortable for people once you get passed it you will be able to enjoy  something new.The only guitar player that when i seew him i have no idea what he is doing  :?

gez

When last in Smiths I flicked through a guitar mag with a recent interview and it had a picture of Beck & the White Stripes.  Didn't have time to read any of it, anyone know what the score is?  Has he recorded with them?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

ahermida

I think I have most if not all of JB's music and once he started the sampling/looping "trilogy" I saw guys like Satriani and others trying to do the same.  The Satriani one sucked big time for me ("Engines of Creation" CD?).   Anyways, the guy is a leader and not a follower and sometimes that means that he will go in directions that nobody will or even thought about.

I'm very intrigued with the sounds and sometimes I just sit down and try to figure out what the hell he's doing.  He's mostly a minimalist but in his latest recordings he has developed very complex sounds (on top of his mastery of the whammy bar).

re: ring modulation effect in the last JB CD:  I recall doing some interesting ring modulation effects in a Fuzz face by taking the output of the second stage and dividing in into a clean output and into a higher octave output.  If you mix them back together you'll get some cool ring mod sounds out of it.

Alf

Mark Abbott

Sampling is old news, how many CD's in the nineties used sampling?

Regarding using a computer to write music, surely Garbage did this beautifully with their first album.

My two cents worth.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott.

Marcos - Munky

The magazine that you saw is the Guitar Player, with the same interview that I saw. It's basically a interview and article about the new CD. About the White Stripes, Jeff said that they wrote Yardbirds in the bass drum, and said that the singer (sorry, didn't remember the name) it's a cool guy, and said something about the Yardbirds years and Jimi Hendrix.