change 117 to 220 v -Ibanez DM-1000

Started by Jacob, August 19, 2005, 12:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Hi, :D (sorry my english)(from Spain)

I have an Ibanez DM-1000 digital delay (117v) that I bought at ebay. I have opened the unit and the transformer has 3 pins on the primary, where the power cord is connected (2 wires). Can be changed the position of the wires in order to the unit can be plugged on 220v?

bioroids

Mmm I dont think so.
I think you'll need to replace the transformer. Beware of high voltages!

Saludos

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

ejbasses

Yup your gonna have to change the X'former with a primary rated at 220 volts and the secondary side with a rating similar to the original
Four Strings To Rule Them All And In The Darkness Bind Them

Jacob

ok, thanksss

The transformer has a lot of outputs so it is difficult to replace. I have an autotransformer 220-127-0, but I think it creates a BIG electromagnetic field and noise (I can heard it). I set it at 40cm of unit and produce noise in the mix, I have to set far I think.

I asked because many devices have the same transformer  for 110, 220/240 only changing where wires are connected. For example the schematic of my amp (fender champion 30) shows this.

Is it possible to measure the resistance of the coil and decide on?

Thankss again :D

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I suggest either getting a 230 to 115 transformer (the smallest one you cn buy will be big enough). These don't normally radiate interference, and aren't as potentially dangerous as an autotransformer.

Or else find someone with more experience to look at the transformer in the unit. I wouldnt like to try to work out transformer voltages over the internet!! Unless you are absolutely certain what is going on, you risk not only your life, but your FX unit!

R.G.

First - you are risking your life by probing around and modifying the AC power side of any electrical equipment. This may be acceptable to you if you have the skills to do it safely. Be honest with yourself - do you have the skills and knowledge to do it safely? If not, stop now and get someone with the skills to help you.

If you do have the proper skills, you can go ahead and find out what is needed.

From your description it is possible that the primary is usable at 220/240Vac. Presumably two of the wires go to the 127V input. Is the third wire connected to anything at all? If not, it may be the 220/240Vac input you're looking for.

You would find this out by providing the unit power through your 127Vac output on your autotransformer, and then measuring the voltage on the three  primary-side wires of the transformer. The two wires that are connected to 127Vac should measure 127Vac, of course. Verify that with your voltmeter first. Then measure the voltage to the third wire from each of the first two. If it is a 220/240V input, then it will measure 127Vac from one of the active primary wires, and 254V from the other. If so, rewire it to use the two wires that show 254Vac. If not, you will have to either replace the transformer or use an external step down transformer.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Jacob

thanks everybody,  :D

I'm going to try r.g. said, thank you

This forum is great,  :)