SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kearns892

Quote from: John Lyons on September 23, 2009, 07:43:40 PM
Less talk, more pics  ;D

Fairly straight forward OD I assume. Care to elaborate?

John Lyons

Actually it's a very non straight forward fuzz with a blend between one
and two transistors with a slight octave to give it
some nice edge and growl. I call it "Wildcat".

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

ocg

Quote from: Magnus on September 23, 2009, 07:36:49 AM

A pcb-comparison (original: left / cloned: right)

And a gutshot:

Greetings from germany
Magnus

nice work....hey magnus do you think you can share with me a copy of the PCB layout??.. :icon_redface: :icon_redface: :icon_redface:
...mojo is in your hands....

Nikolay

Dummy load
I use 16ohm/30W resistor and voltage divider using resistor and pot for recording.
I use small heatsink for resistors.

MarcoMike

beatuiful work as usual...
and how does it sound? I tried a resistors based power attenuator once (ok, it's not the same...:P) but the sound was kind of horrible... completely unbrightened....
Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.

edd101

Quote from: John Lyons on September 23, 2009, 07:43:40 PM
Less talk, more pics  ;D

John, your accuracy always amazed me!

Ed
...it is always funny until someone gets hurt!!!

Kearns892

Quote from: John Lyons on September 23, 2009, 11:36:59 PM

Actually it's a very non straight forward fuzz with a blend between one
and two transistors with a slight octave to give it
some nice edge and growl. I call it "Wildcat".

John

Haha nice, and thanks for making me look like a fool  :). Sound clips?

Also a general question. Why do many builders place the power jacks on the side of the pedal as opposed to the back like most commercial pedals?

liveloveshare

my first build... byoc OD2.  learned quite a few things through the process. i bought it in february and put the circuit together but i took forever with the casing... but anyways, here's the beez kneez screamer.

davidallancole

Thats pretty sweet looking.

liveloveshare

Quote from: davidallancole on September 24, 2009, 08:33:14 PM
Thats pretty sweet looking.

thanks. i had my artist friend draw the bees.  i kinda smeared it a little bit though... ah well.  live and learn.  next time I just need to be more patient with the coats of primer/paint/clear coat.  i didn't spend enough time with the primer so there's already quite a few chips.  but it sounds heavenly. :]

here's some more pics:

The French connection

Quote from: The French connection on September 23, 2009, 03:57:25 PM
Shorter wire to the switch i supposed. What i don't figure out is those who put the DC jack on the side...how do you plug it when you use a daisy chain?

Quote from: Kearns892 on September 24, 2009, 08:16:03 PM
Also a general question. Why do many builders place the power jacks on the side of the pedal as opposed to the back like most commercial pedals?

It looks nobody wants to answer this one. :icon_razz:
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

salocin

Quote from: The French connection on September 24, 2009, 10:32:24 PM
Shorter wire to the switch i supposed. What i don't figure out is those who put the DC jack on the side...how do you plug it when you use a daisy chain?

It's a matter of layout convenience. If you have a look at John Lyons green pedal in the previous posts the pcb is mounted on top of the pots. If the DC jack were to be located at the top of the pedal this would be a lot harder to accomplish without having to move the pots further down the pedal.

musiclikscreams

Quote from: salocin on September 24, 2009, 10:49:21 PM

It's a matter of layout convenience. If you have a look at John Lyons green pedal in the previous posts the pcb is mounted on top of the pots. If the DC jack were to be located at the top of the pedal this would be a lot harder to accomplish without having to move the pots further down the pedal.

so u worry more about the aesthetics of the inside of a pedal rather than practical ease of use? ...doesn't quite make sense to me  ???

jacobyjd

Quote from: musiclikscreams on September 24, 2009, 11:32:03 PM
Quote from: salocin on September 24, 2009, 10:49:21 PM

so u worry more about the aesthetics of the inside of a pedal rather than practical ease of use? ...doesn't quite make sense to me  ???

It's more a question of being able to fit it all in there. If I had my way, every pedal I made would have both I/O and DC jacks on the audience side of the box. That's just not possible in smaller builds if the PCB is too big, unless you make a crazy custom layout, which can be time prohibitive, as well as (possibly) more prone to failure.

edit: Also...'most commercial pedals'? Used anything made by MXR lately?
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Kearns892

I know there are exceptions, I was wondering if there was a practicality on the user friendly side of things one way or the other that I wasnt seeing, but the logic of making it easier to wire makes complete sense to me.

jacobyjd

Quote from: Kearns892 on September 24, 2009, 11:47:52 PM
I know there are exceptions, I was wondering if there was a practicality on the user friendly side of things one way or the other that I wasnt seeing, but the logic of making it easier to wire makes complete sense to me.

Gotcha...it's a tough balance to achieve, for sure.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

musiclikscreams

Quote from: jacobyjd on September 24, 2009, 11:54:30 PM
Quote from: Kearns892 on September 24, 2009, 11:47:52 PM

Gotcha...it's a tough balance to achieve, for sure.
i just realized that i dont bother puttin battery clips in anything i build... that makes a huge difference
i was wonderin y everyone was so worried about space haha

John Lyons

I put the DC jack there because it fits well there. Like it was mentioned. The board
mounts to the back of the pots and there is no room om the top vertical wal for the DC jack.
The board in the pic is small and still no room for the DC jack . Some boards almost run into
the jacks so I just put it by the Switch and it's nice and tidy there.

Case in point:

The Klon is a bitch to build! :'(

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

64fx

Sorry to keep showing pedals that I'm rehousing, but that's all I'm working on these days as far as pedals go...

Here's a rehoused Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive.

snarblinge

seing as how this is the pics thread, here is another argument for dc jack positioning in 1000 words.

b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com