SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rustypinto

Quote from: frank_p on October 22, 2009, 12:02:50 PM
Quote from: rustypinto on October 22, 2009, 11:54:30 AM

All these pics are on my myspace too, including the rev A (through hole) version of this, as opposed to the above, which i am using for production.

Ouch...

How so?
  • SUPPORTER

frank_p

rustypinto

Yep, and soldered by hand for this prototype.

I have a small SMT re-flow operation setup for production. Its twice as fast as the hand placement of the same amount of through-hole components.
  • SUPPORTER

ppatchmods

is this considered an analog delay? that's pretty tidious stuff. it looks very nice!
When your life is over, will any of this STUFF really matter?

rustypinto

Yes, the signal path is completely analog with the use of BBD IC to implement the delay. The MCUs control the BBD clock via potentiometer or tap switch. I have a demo in the works as we speak...
  • SUPPORTER

solderman

Hi
This is the "Tremtation"  It's a slightly modded "Tremulus Lune" tremolo fitted in a small box.

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Akridosity

cloudscapes

a one-off paintjob of a design I've been building quite a bit lately
acrylics, decal and then clear epoxy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

AudioMime

Quote from: cloudscapes on October 22, 2009, 10:27:35 PM
a one-off paintjob of a design I've been building quite a bit lately
acrylics, decal and then clear epoxy

Wow.
I wonder what it does.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AUDIO MIME
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Quote from: rousejeremy
Stick the Tremulus Lune in a Feedback Loop and your neighbors will call the cops on you. Which will be awesome.

jacobyjd

Quote from: AudioMime on October 23, 2009, 02:49:29 AM
Quote from: cloudscapes on October 22, 2009, 10:27:35 PM
Wow.
I wonder what it does.

Think of anything that you ever though was awesome.

Now--think of a tremolo.

Now--think of them both together.

(and check out cloudscapes' blog...he's got details there. It's pretty amazing.
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

tuckster

Tycobrahe Octavia
Need to learn how to use the sandpaper :D
  • SUPPORTER

cloudscapes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

AudioMime

Quote from: cloudscapes on October 23, 2009, 12:32:20 PM

programable/drawable tremolo, I think  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIVBnqzV9Jk

That is pretty awesome. So you made this all by yourself?
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AUDIO MIME
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Quote from: rousejeremy
Stick the Tremulus Lune in a Feedback Loop and your neighbors will call the cops on you. Which will be awesome.

John Lyons

Very cool Etienne!

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cloudscapes

Thanks John!

Quote from: AudioMime on October 23, 2009, 01:04:25 PM
That is pretty awesome. So you made this all by yourself?

Thanks. And yeah, by myself. A real learning experience. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

arma61

Hi there, my last build a "WYNIAB", that's "what you need, in a box" and really what do you need more than an HW89 and a Rebote!

Cheers
Armando

Guts! (omG  ;D)

Left

Right

"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Strategy

I'm having trouble telling from the pics of the WYNIAB: is that a sloped console style lid on the enclosure? If so who makes that?

P
-----------------------------------------------------
www.strategymusic.com
www.community-library.net
https://soundcloud.com/strategydickow
https://twitter.com/STRATEGY_PaulD

arma61

Quote from: Strategy on October 24, 2009, 12:53:59 PM
I'm having trouble telling from the pics of the WYNIAB: is that a sloped console style lid on the enclosure? If so who makes that?

P

Yes, it is

I have some of them, also half size of this, you can see them on the FS area http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=76965.msg630329#msg630329

Ciao
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Processaurus

Are the resistors blue because they a metal film?  I've only used the black ones.  Out of curiosity, do you here a difference between your through hole design and surfacemount design?  I'm not superstitious, but was wondering if there was a noticeable difference between big film caps and surfacemount ceramics?

rustypinto

Quote from: Processaurus on October 24, 2009, 08:27:11 PM

Are the resistors blue because they a metal film?  I've only used the black ones.  Out of curiosity, do you here a difference between your through hole design and surfacemount design?  I'm not superstitious, but was wondering if there was a noticeable difference between big film caps and surfacemount ceramics?

The resistor color is blue (i suspect) because of the manufacturer, KOA-speer. These particular resistors are thick-film types, which they specifically recommend for audio.

I notice NO difference between through-hole and surface mount versions of this pedal. I've done extensive A/B comparisons, where the resistors in the through-hole case WERE metal film, and the differences were non-existent.

As for the caps, i used multi-layer ceramic, through-hole AND SMT for both versions. Again, no difference there.

Its an interesting debate that people think surface mount resistors impact tone, but they certainly don't. Resistors serve a very basic function; to resist electrical current. When doing this function, power dissipation becomes an important factor. Power dissipation and mounting style are what set these two resistor technologies apart. They're not frequency reactive devices by nature, and until they take on such responsibilities (where they would just become capacitors or inductors), then they will never affect tone. Its also important to mention PCB layout for completeness. Just about every SMT layout uses vias, which have a certain amount of inductance associated with them. Inductance is of course reactive to frequency, but it only becomes noticeable at very high frequencies associated with very high speed designs (memory buses, CPU buses, etc.).
  • SUPPORTER