News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greeny23

Quote from: rousejeremy on March 23, 2012, 09:00:37 PM
You get those bumps in the paint too eh? I switched to Amsterdam Acrylic and the bumps have gone away, it's just a matter of learning how much water to mix for the best result. If I don't let the paint sit long enough after mixing a bunch of bubbles will be in the dried product looking like little holes.

i get too eager and just paint paint paint.

muuuuuffff

rousejeremy

Quote from: Barcode80 on March 24, 2012, 02:25:07 AM
Also, you can buff off the specs and whatnot with fine grit sandpaper. Then a coat of clear and you are in business.
I must admit I've never had the guts to try that on the paint itself. I usually spray a few coats of clear on, wet sand, more clear, more sanding then more clear.
Still got a bunch of bubbles in this one though. It's a Rangemaster.

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

HOTTUBES

I don't think i have posted this one .....

Ronan

We used to get bubbles out of epoxy glue by putting it in a vacuum chamber before use, the bubbles would expand and pop out. Maybe you could put each color paint in a big syringe, block the end and try to pull the end of the syringe out, making a vacuum.

Galego

Bubbles in paint usually mean grease. You need to clean the surface you're going to paint to make sure there's no grease.

darron

i tried doing an epoxy goop pour and it worked great.

the instructions said the blowing on the bubbles helps get rid of them, and it did. the explanation was that it's not the air pressure but rather the co2 the does it - somehow.

next time i try it i'm going to make a little co2 chamber to drop a very slow rush of co2 on the enclosure and see if it's true (:   that way no humidity imperfections from my breath too...
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

CynicalMan

Quote from: rousejeremy on March 25, 2012, 12:03:25 AM
Quote from: Barcode80 on March 24, 2012, 02:25:07 AM
Also, you can buff off the specs and whatnot with fine grit sandpaper. Then a coat of clear and you are in business.
I must admit I've never had the guts to try that on the paint itself. I usually spray a few coats of clear on, wet sand, more clear, more sanding then more clear.
Still got a bunch of bubbles in this one though. It's a Rangemaster.

I like the bubbles on that one, actually. It looks like some sort of ceramic. I wonder if you could sprinkle oil on a box to get loads of bubbles.

rousejeremy

I don't think it's grease, The bubbles are from mixing the paint and water by shaking the little container. That's what happens in my case anyway. Blowing on the paint does help pop them though.
I let the paint sit after mixing for an hour or so on this guy and it settled pretty smoothly.

I really want to try epoxy resin though. Cloudscapes pedals have the most amazing finish.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Earthscum

Quote from: CynicalMan on March 25, 2012, 09:41:36 AM
I like the bubbles on that one, actually. It looks like some sort of ceramic. I wonder if you could sprinkle oil on a box to get loads of bubbles.

Water mist, spray paint, let it dry, bake. The water droplets will boil off, pop through the warm paint, and leave little bubbles like this.

Also, you can do an undercoat of one color and then use this trick with the top coat. When it's dry, instead of baking out the water and letting the bubbles collapse, you can sand them off to make neat effects with the 2 different colors.

Quote from: HOTTUBES on March 25, 2012, 03:59:26 AM
I don't think i have posted this one .....

Nice look on that one! I used a similar scheme on a couple that I'll post pics of within the next 24 hours, lol. I like the paneled look.
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Mac Walker

Tube Sound Fuzz, Bazz Fuss, Wooly Mammoth.  DIY cases made from standard width 0.063" aluminum.

Rulz-Hernan

Excellent boxes! I would like to know how did!

alparent

Yes! Show us....show us!

Earthscum

Measure, measure, measure, cut.
Measure, measure, measure, bend.
Measure, measure, measure, drill.
Cuss and repeat.

:icon_biggrin:

(I typed that word enough that it doesn't look like a real word anymore... had to go double check the spelling, lol)
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Mac Walker

Goto google images, then type in "DIY bending brake", there are dozens of ways of bending the metal, depending on your space, time, and whatever materials have laying around.  I use a bending brake made from an old bed frame, it has an extremely sharp blade (angle iron) that pushes the metal into a wooden V-block.  The bending blade lines up with a scored line on the aluminum, which is derived from a paper template, and x-acto knife, and a straight edge.

I use electric shears to cut, mainly because it is quiet and can be done in the evenings, alternatively a jig saw with a metal blade can be used (this is important, a sheet metal blade is absolutely essential).  A belt sander is used to true up rough cuts.  In the end you have to compensate for metal thickness, which is done by trial and error.  It's a labor of love for sure.....

greeny23

glops

Quote from: Mac Walker on March 25, 2012, 03:12:59 PM
Tube Sound Fuzz, Bazz Fuss, Wooly Mammoth.  DIY cases made from standard width 0.063" aluminum.

Superb!

Perrow

Quote from: Mac Walker on March 25, 2012, 03:12:59 PM

Are there, or is there going to be, leds in those holes? Those small ones at "the top", looks like three mm holes.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Mac Walker

Are there, or is there going to be, leds in those holes? Those small ones at "the top", looks like three mm holes.

You can see it if you zoom in, it's a 1mm hole with a red LED superglued in place.  They came from my parts bin, sitting around for about twenty years, they are similar to this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kingbright/WP4060ID/?qs=DkZGzo4b%252bTIwB%2f%2fFz3p0w3OVGM76yTL4NOcb5%252bzPhsc%3d

ShortScaleMike

A bundle of pedals for Ranch Studios:

And a pedal for Darren Hayman, of Hefner fame (and multiple solo and side projects thereafter). He did the artwork for this, a previous Class 37 pedal I did, and also my cloth bags.

.Mike

Quote from: ShortScaleMike on March 27, 2012, 04:39:55 AM
A bundle of pedals for Ranch Studios:

And a pedal for Darren Hayman, of Hefner fame (and multiple solo and side projects thereafter). He did the artwork for this, a previous Class 37 pedal I did, and also my cloth bags.

How nice, you found a way to advertise for someone else, right in the middle of your own advertisement!

134 total posts, 126 of them to the pictures topic. The last time you posted in a topic other than this one was May 2009.

Seems like you're a commercial builder, and not a DIYer. Beyond advertising, why are you here...?

:)

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.