News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

What's the scale length on those shovels? 

And, have you considered using outdoor spigot knobs on the controls? 

Actually, the ultimate coolness factor would come from using an entire outdoor garden hose faucet for both the output jack and volume control.  :icon_cool:  Imagine the stage visual of plugging in your cable to this and turning on the flow:

• SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

duck_arse

Quote from: stallik on January 30, 2018, 05:01:09 AM
Shovel mk2 almost complete. Just waiting for the strap button. Improved tone courtesy of bridge to PU distance, aligned 12th fret position with top rivet by moving the nut back, other positions neatly fell against text markers on the neck (pure luck) also added volume as this one will be used on stage by a mate. Did a much better job of the string tree and relocated the tuners. Easier to hit the right note on this one. Planning mk3 already but each shovel has a different shape so those plans have to be modded on the fly.

The guys in the garden center are starting to look at me strangely as I go through all the shovels, checking the angles, sighting the neck, tapping the wood... :icon_redface:

two shovels? now you can take your pick.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

stallik

Quote from: EBK on January 30, 2018, 08:23:47 AM

Now that's a fine idea. Thanks
Scale length is 26in but the bridge is floating so it can be adjusted slightly if necessary. Moving the bridge alters the string height which is critical over the shoulder of the shovel. On the first build, I tried to organise things so that if the strings were pulled against the shoulder, I'd get a train whistle sound. It kind of worked but the shape of this one meant that was not possible. Mk3? I'm looking at building up the shoulder then filing it down to create artificial frets. Just got to learn how to weld stainless
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

stallik

Quotetwo shovels? Now you can take your pick

Hmm. Wonder what I can turn a pick into..
Built a Nano-8 from DeadAstro. Wondering about putting the piezo triggers into some plant pots :)
Now, what about a bass...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

mth5044

Quote from: stallik on January 30, 2018, 08:56:29 AM
Quotetwo shovels? Now you can take your pick

Hmm. Wonder what I can turn a pick into..
Built a Nano-8 from DeadAstro. Wondering about putting the piezo triggers into some plant pots :)
Now, what about a bass...

A pick would be perfect for a harp type situation, or a droning sitar kind of thing, where you have the strings coming from the handle and fan out over the head.

stallik

Actually, the ultimate coolness factor would come from using an entire outdoor garden hose faucet for both the output jack and volume control.  :icon_cool:  Imagine the stage visual of plugging in your cable to this and turning on the flow:

Erik, that's just got to happen. Adding it to mk3!

bluebunny

Quote from: stallik on January 30, 2018, 11:18:34 AM
Erik, that's just got to happen. Adding it to mk3!

In case you need more encouragement, just ask!  I can't wait to see a whole wall-full of these fine instruments.  :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

amptramp

Would you have to get a reverse taper pot and turn the knob counterclockwise to turn the volume up?  Because a volume control and a hose spigot increase their output in the opposite direction.

thermionix

Use a heavy duty pot, the torque from a knob that big might destroy a common Alpha.

stallik

I think I'd try removing the gland, drilling out the body and fixing a standard pot in there. The gland cap would remain to keep it looking original. Good point about the torque, may be possible to introduce a physical stop on the pot shaft.

I'm also thinking of using a guitar cable inside a hose pipe and perhaps using a din connector as I don't think there'd be enough room for a jack

P-Trash

My "Bit Commander" clone)) So happy ;D

bluebunny

Quote from: P-Trash on February 01, 2018, 03:00:36 AM
My "Bit Commander" clone)) So happy ;D

What??  It's not a garden tool!   :o

But a very nice build, nonetheless.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

P-Trash

Oh, well, sorry for offtop))

EBK

That is really cool.  I like the use of symbols for all of the controls.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Atodovax

electrosonic

Two compressors -

On the left, an optical compressor - uses a voltage divider with a vactrol, kind of like a LA-2A

On the right a dual band Engineer's Thumb - signal is split into high and low bands, compressed independently and mixed back together.
The idea is to have separate attack and release times for each band, still need to run some test tones through it to see how it works. Sounds good to my ears, but I need more time to get familiar with it.

Andrew.

• SUPPORTER

Telvis

bluebunny

Love it.  :)  Normally, we'd ask for gut shots too.  But I guess it's just all squished together like sardines.

:
:

I'll get my coat...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER

slashandburn

I just got sent to pick up baby supplies for our littlest. Had to do a double take when I noticed the pacifiers on the shelf.

Ryanhardy

OD Pedal i made.  3 modes, continuously variable.  Discrete.