SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrStab

Quote from: garcho on May 08, 2023, 11:28:00 AM
mass-fab'ed pedals

Thanks Gary. That's kinda the plan, but the insanely bad stencil printer i bought recently will never permit. lol
(seriously - the metalwork is impressively bad!!! I should upload photos of that!)
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

diffeq

Quote from: MrStab on May 09, 2023, 07:07:29 AM
Quote from: garcho on May 08, 2023, 11:28:00 AM
mass-fab'ed pedals

Thanks Gary. That's kinda the plan, but the insanely bad stencil printer i bought recently will never permit. lol
(seriously - the metalwork is impressively bad!!! I should upload photos of that!)
who could ever see it if you goop it with epoxy?  :icon_lol:

jhob

Made three pedals on the cereal box theme now, my first attempts at applying art to pedals, really pleased with how they've turned out!

Applying the decals has been a bit of a learning process, had to re-do the Tremobix one as it bubbled up all over the place, think I applied too thick layer of clearcloat.  They all have little bubbles which aren't noticable unless you stare at them thankfully.  Think I just need to go really steady on the clearcoat.  I'd never spray painted anything before doing these.

Also did a veroboard version of the Super hard on which sounds better than the kit build pictured here.  Gave that one to my brother as a present.

bluebunny

^ Nice pedals.  8)

The trick with clearcoat (and with spray paint in general) is to apply a very thin coat, wait for it to dry, then apply the next coat.  Repeat until satisfied or bored.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

egisseur

2nd finished builds are done! The laser etch came out great! Need to do some repositioning of the labels but not a bad first attempt if I say so myself  :icon_cool:...

ElectricDruid

Quote from: bluebunny on May 09, 2023, 01:04:54 PM
^ Nice pedals.  8)

The trick with clearcoat (and with spray paint in general) is to apply a very thin coat, wait for it to dry, then apply the next coat.  Repeat until satisfied or bored.

...and do it somewhere where there are no air currents to blow dust, fluff, or cat hairs onto it while it's wet!

(Given that spray-painting should be done in a well-ventilated area, finding such a place is problematic for me).

jhob

My 'spray shop' is my shed.  Probably quite a dusty environment but relatively low airflow.

Definitely agree on the light coats and waiting to dry, learnt that one the hard way.... It's a battle with my impulsivity!

Mac Walker

ESR graphic fuzz.  This has the output going straight to a 10K pot with 1K to ground, this is the "load" control.  Also added a switchable coupling cap to roll off some of the lows which occur from eliminating the 10K series resistor.  Driving a low impedance directly causes more distortion.....

Needs a gain control, the gtr volume pot at 90~95% makes some nice growling distortion.

Phend

Here is my First metal enclosure build.
An Axis Face with tone control.
Home made knobs.
I made fixtures for wiring and and drill location which worked well, kind of anyway.
This simple, not very compact, circuit was more challenging than I thought it would be.
That is putting it into a box.
Kudos to those who really cram 5 kg of electronics into a 1 kg box!
Acrylic face place (exchangeable).
Laser etched Planosphere art.
The new Weller with long tip and 0.8 mm solder certainly is indispensable.
Here are a few pitures

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

deadastronaut

^thats mental. love those diy led knobs...  8) 8) 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

garcho

Maybe I'll post a little more about this elsewhere, but here is the first hardwired prototype, named in honor of fellow forumee and funky chip dealer Electric Druid.
VCF-on-an-IC, stompLFO, and mutron-ish envelope detector, running at ±9V with an LT1054. It sounds FUNKY! So nice having those Alfa ICs available and cheap.
I added an external tap tempo jack (expects 5V pulses, not switches to ground) so I can sync the LFO. Expression pedal jack for a little extra funk. CV for the nerds.

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

ElectricDruid

Well, I'm honoured I must say, and very glad you're enjoying the chips!

The pedal looks fantastic, and very tidy internally. Plus with an envelope detector and a stompLFO, you've got *all* the options covered, everything from funky autowah stuff to out-there Maestro FSH-1 noises. Nice work.  8)

Mac Walker

DOD passive mixer, Jordan Bosstone, and an Escobedo fuzz variant.  Latter two are CNC engraved.  I don't have level measurement/compensation so the results are pretty bad, multiple passes in select areas are often required.  Also that's not Mike, its Rick Rubin or Karl Marx, not sure which. :icon_biggrin:

Fatknuckle2

New vero build of the BCD Shagpile Deluxe, with a Grindcustoms LED/LDR modulation daughterboard for added chorus dimension.

Phend

Another Fuzz Face Build :
Laser cut and etched covers.
OC140 transistors
70's Volt Meter (new in box from junk store)
Old Stereo Knobs (Marantz)
Fiber Optics I got from long ago
Q2 Bias Control
Interesting that I had to add a diode to the Pos lead to the meter.
Else it would read Minus 0.70 volts when switched to Clean Bypass.
Long slow build, came out great.

• SUPPORTER+

mozz

Nice, different. Is the meter reading true or is it now .6v low because of the diode drop?
  • SUPPORTER

Phend

Meter is true, I calibrated alone, out of the circuit, with the supply voltage and batteries..
Without the diode, the meter goes left of "zero" by apparently 0.70 v which I measure with the DMM across the meters pins. In the circuit, adjusting for 4.5 v on the meter, the DMM reads 4.5 also.
  • SUPPORTER+

duck_arse

you can offset zero with that little plastic screw on the face of the meter.
don't make me draw another line.

amz-fx

A cool pedal from Joe Gagan's NVN that has mostly been forgotten:

The hand-etched knobs and front panel plastic art piece add a special touch!

regards, Jack

Ksander

I built a few pedals now, and found a nice print service where they can print white on transparant stickers. I'm really happy with the results, and thought I'd share:

My Son of a screamer:

Anderton compressor:

Dr. Quack:

And a version of Anotherjim's 4046 synth demonstrator: