News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xpaladin1313

Here are my three builds:

This first one I built is a TS808.  I wanted to save money, so I put it in a plastic box.  It sounds beautiful but looks like garbage.  I wouldn't wager on its durability either.  Someday I think I'll rehouse it.

The second is a Tycobrahe Octavia.  It's kinda hard to see, but I etched the word ROCTAVIA on the face.  I don't think it worked all that well, though.  It looks more like it's been stained than etched.  It looks pretty cool, though, so I'm content.  The blue LED looks cool too.  :-D  I'm not a huge fan of the sound, though.  I think I need something to soften it somehow...

This is the Ruby Amp I just finished building today.  It's got two 2.5" x 1.5" speakers, plus a headphone out and speaker out.  I also fit an 8-AA batttery pack in there somehow.  Drilling all 146 holes in the box took a loooong time.  I'm pretty sure this is the sexiest amp ever.  Well, perhaps that's going too far.  The fishfood ruby was sweet as well...

This second view shows off the belt clip.  I needed to put it on so I can serenade the ladies.   8)

Here's where all the magic happens.  In a month and a half I'll finally be able to move out of this freaking dorm room.  I'm thinking of getting a really big desk... it would be nice to use it for homework as well.

SuperGeo

Quote from: xpaladin1313 on April 10, 2006, 05:25:29 PM
Here are my three builds:

This is the Ruby Amp I just finished building today.  It's got two 2.5" x 1.5" speakers, plus a headphone out and speaker out.  I also fit an 8-AA batttery pack in there somehow.  Drilling all 146 holes in the box took a loooong time.  I'm pretty sure this is the sexiest amp ever.  Well, perhaps that's going too far.  The fishfood ruby was sweet as well...

This second view shows off the belt clip.  I needed to put it on so I can serenade the ladies.   8)

That's VERY nice  :D I wish I could do something like that (but the holes makes me think twice)

How long does the batteries last?

Quote from: tatems on April 09, 2006, 10:28:35 PM

DIY Wah Pedal (Coloursound Wah)  :icon_biggrin:

Tatems

I made an shell just like yours :D with the colorsound too but it swap got too sudden what pot did you use there?

rockhorst

Love that little blue amp! Imagine, walking down the street, just playing amplified guitar  :icon_mrgreen: Doesn't it give you any shielding problems from being inside a translucent plastic box?
Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

xpaladin1313

As for the battery question... I guess I don't know how long they last.  I'll have to find out when they run out for the first time!  (I've only used the thing for a total time of about 20 min)

Shielding?  I dunno...  I'm not too familiar with shielding, or what problems I'd get.

I'll admit the thing is a bit buzzy - probably from the way I mounted the speakers, and from the fact that the speakers are tiny.  But I suppose I never expected it to sound amazing...

If I were to do it again, I'd give the speakers a regular grill, and not the perforated plastic one.  It might not look as cool, but it would probably sound better.

Skeezix

Rock&Rock!!

Nikolay

here is my tube mic preamp :)

Quackzed

>:(And how do your FISH feel about that!!!??? >:(Hmmm?

nothing says forever like a solid block of liquid nails!!!

MetalUpYerEye

Vibrations travel much more efficiently through water than they do air. Vibrations from say... Bass frequencies, can freak fish out very badly and in some cases hurt them and even kill them. So because I use my little Ruby to practice rather than my 100watt SS, my fish are actually very content with it.  ;-)

343 Salty Beans

I bet soldering all the components inside was a pain in the bum though, eh?

tatems

Quote from: SuperGeo on April 10, 2006, 07:57:49 PM
I made an shell just like yours :D with the colorsound too but it swap got too sudden what pot did you use there?

I used a 50K linear slide pot, the trasisiton is a little sudden but i find it ok  :icon_razz:

Tatems
It is I, Murdock the Mind Stealer

searoad

Quote from: xpaladin1313 on April 10, 2006, 05:25:29 PM

once i wanna ask u where to get the box..
wow!! 146holes!!!
nice job!!!!

MetalUpYerEye

Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on April 12, 2006, 10:13:59 PM

Actually the circuit board and 2 speakers turned out to be just long enough when stood on end that they filled the can perfectly and nothing rattles around. I soldered everything outside the box and then carefully (no kidding) fitted everything inside. Had a little trouble getting the speaker in the bottom to sit right at first, it kept wanting to stand up on end which was annoying to say the least. I also used 2 different kinds of speakers; the bottom one is a 2" regular cone speaker but the one in the cap of the can is a 2 1/2" speaker with a cone made of some kind of clear plastic. I'm not sure exactly what its made of but man does it have a beautiful high end.

hank reynolds 3rd

Quote from: MetalUpYerEye on April 13, 2006, 07:37:29 AM
Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on April 12, 2006, 10:13:59 PM

Actually the circuit board and 2 speakers turned out to be just long enough when stood on end that they filled the can perfectly and nothing rattles around. I soldered everything outside the box and then carefully (no kidding) fitted everything inside. Had a little trouble getting the speaker in the bottom to sit right at first, it kept wanting to stand up on end which was annoying to say the least. I also used 2 different kinds of speakers; the bottom one is a 2" regular cone speaker but the one in the cap of the can is a 2 1/2" speaker with a cone made of some kind of clear plastic. I'm not sure exactly what its made of but man does it have a beautiful high end.

It might be mylar...I used them in a smokey clone I made, not bassy at all,but tasy all the same

JimRayden

searoad: it sure looks like an Ice Blue Hammond 1591B to me. :)

----------
Jimbo

xpaladin1313

Yeah, it's an ice blue hammond.  I got it from mouser for about $11ish.

whythisreason?

Yet another Foxx Tone Machine:

The ExperimentalistsAnonymous Parallel Universe:

The Mosfet Boosters are all inside my guitars...  ;D

burnt fingers

Here are a few of my builds on my pedal board.  They are from right to left,  Axis Face, self designed(i guess) high gain OD/Dist, Tube reamer (w some mods) and DOD j201 in the larger box. 

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/s_frein/detail?.dir=b43d&.dnm=ae32.jpg&.src=ph

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Apehouse

Here's my latest attempt:

I built this for a bass playing friend of mine. It's mostly a combination, whisker biscuit(slightly tweaked) and RG Keens: Pan in And Pan Out circuit (to give him his bottom end back). He didn't like the sound of the Whisker Biscuit when it was altered for Bass but he did like it with the clean signal mixed back in.
Unfortunately i discovered when i built him a booster that he is unbelievably picking and high maintenance where his pedal was concerned. Considering it was free(payed for parts) i didn't exactly want to be married to it so when i built this one i tried to make it like a tank. (To the best of my particular ability, that is.) I pretty much bolted everything (including the standoffs and rubber feet) down.
This was also my first attempt at etching the box( ok, technically my second since i seriously screwed up my first attempt at this same box). I was looking for something with a little longer life than labels seem to be for me. I did spray on and buff off a little black paint to highlight the letters. I'm pretty happy with how the text turned out.
Although he's been around for most of the process, i haven't actually admitted that i've finished it to him. A little tough to give it up now that its done, i find.
Gotta make sure all the bugs are worked out of it, ya know! And considering I built it, this could take forever...
-greg
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" -Aldous Huxley