Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Etienne
As usuall...very nice!
Great color, knob placement and depth.
I like LEDs close to flush with the box.
The below the surface mounting is even better  :icon_biggrin:

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Renegadrian

Etienne and Andrew k - your pedals are wicked!!! Man, those are so beautiful!!!  :icon_eek:
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

andrew_k

Thanks Adriano :) That delay has been sitting a box for months waiting to be debugged, glad to finally have it finished!

slacker

Andi

Not really on a par with the other stuff posted, but I just finished these. Both loosely TS based (each one gets further away from the original).

This one has a Muff style tone control but with the values tweaked a bit (thanks to the Duncan Amps tone stack calculator) so that it has a hint of mid-sweep as it turns.

nordine

Quote from: obblitt on February 07, 2009, 01:33:37 AM
Quote from: nordine on November 10, 2008, 10:03:03 PM
my favorite recipe:

Phase45 with mods

just can't get enough of it

That is SOOO cool.  :icon_eek: I'm such a fan. Except.... One thing: shouldn't the white light be coming from the IN jack, and the Prism could represent the phase circuit, and what comes out is a colorful, wonderful Phase?  :icon_mrgreen:

Still soooo cool.  :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

spot on.... that was my initial idea, so i printed the prism image mirrored, to match in/white - out/spectrum, but it looked so weird -even ugly-, it stayed as original

sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EV0H4z4qxo

flo

Amazing looking pedals again!
Mini Phaser, the two Tremolus Lune, Echo base, etc: I'm quite stunned and overwhelmed by them!  :o => 8) => :)

kierc

Quote from: Phorhas on February 08, 2009, 12:55:48 AM
Beautiful work people!!!

kierc  - what did you use for that awsome light reflector in your vide?

I used some sheet aluminium from eBay - one side is standard alu, the other side is like a mirror (and protected too to prevent scatches in transit)
It's 1mm thick so pretty tough - only thing is I couldn't solder to it, so I stuck it down with cellotape

mills

Quote from: nordine on February 08, 2009, 06:56:40 AM
my favorite recipe:

Phase45 with mods

That is SOOO cool.  :icon_eek: I'm such a fan. Except.... One thing: shouldn't the white light be coming from the IN jack, and the Prism could represent the phase circuit, and what comes out is a colorful, wonderful Phase?  :icon_mrgreen:

spot on.... that was my initial idea, so i printed the prism image mirrored, to match in/white - out/spectrum, but it looked so weird -even ugly-, it stayed as original

That looks and sounds good.  I liked the clip once you started getting into it a little.  Wasn't expecting a bass though, were any of the mods to make it low end friendlier?

andrew_k

Quote from: Andi on February 08, 2009, 06:55:24 AM

That's hot.  8) How did you do the pinstripes?
I especially like the symmetry of it all and the contrast of the offset stompswitch.

tehfunk

Quote from: Andi on February 08, 2009, 06:55:24 AM
This one has a Muff style tone control but with the values tweaked a bit (thanks to the Duncan Amps tone stack calculator) so that it has a hint of mid-sweep as it turns.

What are you talking about? I think these are great. What kind of paint did you use here, and what were your steps, did you prime then sand then how many coats then did you clear coat, and how'd you do that etc.? I just think it looks really clean, and the knobs are a great match.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

nordine

Quote from: mills on February 08, 2009, 02:59:44 PM
Quote from: nordine on February 08, 2009, 06:56:40 AM
my favorite recipe:

Phase45 with mods

That looks and sounds good.  I liked the clip once you started getting into it a little.  Wasn't expecting a bass though, were any of the mods to make it low end friendlier?

thanks man

the univibe-mod makes it bass friendly (the effect is set on that mod, no switch to 'normal'), also 10uF output cap helps getting the bass to stand up,

now it definitely thins-out the sound a bit, which i like it.... take into consideration also, that the jbass used on the sample is the trebliest MF bass i've tried

Andi

Aw, thanks chaps. I'm just a bit overwhelmed by all the gorgeous etched boxes and stuff.

Anyways, both were done with car spray paints from Halfords. The orange striped one was done by painting the whole box white, then masking off the four stripes I wanted left white, then spray the whole thing orange, then mask off the orange stripes, then the grey went on.

The grey was a bit of an accident - I originally did it blue, masked three stripes (which you can just see) then oversprayed silver. It looked dreadful for some reason when I pulled the tape, so I went over it with a coat of silver, then a sort of dusting of a pearl black and a metallic grey from "too far away" so it's speckled rather than smooth. With the grey I baked in my new toaster oven between coats - the orange was done before that arrived. Then multiple coats of lacquer, probably 3 or 4. I tend to do enclosures in little batches, then find something to do with them.

What I've been doing a lot lately though is drilling the holes for the locator tabs for pots and switches. I'd never felt happy about snapping them off - it kept nagging at me that they're there for a reason. I really like having them now - makes tightening the pots so easy, no rotation.

Next enclosure I do I will put a faceplate on made from a PCB blank using my router. Just trying to decide on a design...

tehfunk

Quote from: Andi on February 08, 2009, 05:51:27 PM
Aw, thanks chaps. I'm just a bit overwhelmed by all the gorgeous etched boxes and stuff.

Anyways, both were done with car spray paints from Halfords. The orange striped one was done by painting the whole box white, then masking off the four stripes I wanted left white, then spray the whole thing orange, then mask off the orange stripes, then the grey went on.

The grey was a bit of an accident - I originally did it blue, masked three stripes (which you can just see) then oversprayed silver. It looked dreadful for some reason when I pulled the tape, so I went over it with a coat of silver, then a sort of dusting of a pearl black and a metallic grey from "too far away" so it's speckled rather than smooth. With the grey I baked in my new toaster oven between coats - the orange was done before that arrived. Then multiple coats of lacquer, probably 3 or 4. I tend to do enclosures in little batches, then find something to do with them.

What I've been doing a lot lately though is drilling the holes for the locator tabs for pots and switches. I'd never felt happy about snapping them off - it kept nagging at me that they're there for a reason. I really like having them now - makes tightening the pots so easy, no rotation.

Next enclosure I do I will put a faceplate on made from a PCB blank using my router. Just trying to decide on a design...
That's interesting, well it turned out well. Did you prime them?
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

Andi

Doh!

Yes - forgot to mention that, sorry.

I use eMachineshop's free CAD client to make up drill templates - I have blocks the right size for the jacks, pots, 3PDT and so on, from that I work out layout and PCB size. That gives me a bit of paper the same size as the top of the pedal which I can centre-punch through so everything's nice and precise. I drill with a 2.5mm pilot, then go back with the right size drill bits (I used to use a Unibit but recently much prefer individual bits). Once that's done I sand with one of those sponge sanding blocks, degrease with isopropanol, then prime. Usually two coats of grey primer, or for lighter colours I use white primer, again car touch-up stuff.

I have two little spray booths made from 4 sides of a cardboard box each, with a cake decorating turntable and a mini fluorescent tube light above each. One of my next projects will be to make up some proper spray booths from ply with an extractor fan.

Barcode80

Quote from: Andi on February 08, 2009, 06:24:13 PM
Doh!

Yes - forgot to mention that, sorry.

I use eMachineshop's free CAD client to make up drill templates - I have blocks the right size for the jacks, pots, 3PDT and so on, from that I work out layout and PCB size. That gives me a bit of paper the same size as the top of the pedal which I can centre-punch through so everything's nice and precise. I drill with a 2.5mm pilot, then go back with the right size drill bits (I used to use a Unibit but recently much prefer individual bits). Once that's done I sand with one of those sponge sanding blocks, degrease with isopropanol, then prime. Usually two coats of grey primer, or for lighter colours I use white primer, again car touch-up stuff.

I have two little spray booths made from 4 sides of a cardboard box each, with a cake decorating turntable and a mini fluorescent tube light above each. One of my next projects will be to make up some proper spray booths from ply with an extractor fan.
any chance of sharing? i've been looking for a good way to customize drilling templates...

Kearns892

Quote from: Andi on February 08, 2009, 05:51:27 PM

I agree, but how did you go about drilling such small holes and making them rectangular?

SonicVI

Gee, I wonder what this could be?  :P  I used Plastidip spray for the footpad.

kurtlives

Nice Superfuzz!

What transistors did you use? Did you audition any others, what were your thoughts?
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

SonicVI

Quote from: kurtlives on February 08, 2009, 10:51:48 PM
Nice Superfuzz!

What transistors did you use? Did you audition any others, what were your thoughts?

Thanks!   I used 2SC828 and I didn't try any others.