News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vigilante397

Finally got around to boxing up my Zendrive. This one is definitely going on my board ;D

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Joncaster

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 21, 2018, 03:10:38 PM
Finally got around to boxing up my Zendrive. This one is definitely going on my board ;D

Definitely!
Lovely build
Music is Eternity: stretched like the sky over the landscape of our lives.

"It's better to be looking at it, than looking for it."

My Band:
http://www.coldwatermorning.bandcamp.com

Benoi31

That is a clean etching!!  :o
Well done! Gutshot?

vigilante397

Quote from: Benoi31 on May 23, 2018, 02:25:36 AM
That is a clean etching!!  :o
Well done! Gutshot?

Thanks :) It's actually CNC engraved, I was never very good at etching :P The guts aren't particularly remarkable, but I'll pull it off my board (it's already there) and open it up for a picture when I get home.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

vigilante397

And here you are, unremarkable Zendrive gutshot. It's fairly clean for me, because I usually have spaghetti messes of wires. I am also pretty proud of how the board turned out, it was a CNC milled double-sided board.

• SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

deadastronaut

That is a thing of beauty nathan...really like that man..

Very cool.  I thought it was an etch too..  8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

vigilante397

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 26, 2018, 03:06:08 AM
I thought it was an etch too..  8)

Pretty sure you could pull off an etch that tight Rob, but I sure as hell can't ::) I need my robots to do it for me :P
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

patrick398

Considering the incredible quality of some of these builds, my first attempt at 'decorating' a pedal seems laughable but i guess you gotta start somewhere.
This is my cave man approach to toner transfer:

Things you need:
A frying pan
A wooden spoon
An inexhaustible arsenal of expletives

Going to start buying painted enclosures from Tayda so i don't have to arse around sanding enclosures to make them look slightly less ghastly. Are laserjet waterslides the best way to go?

davent

The 'best way' is to pick one method and stick with doing it over and over again, practicing until you're in control.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bluebunny

Quote from: patrick398 on May 28, 2018, 06:58:44 PM
Are laserjet waterslides the best way to go?

Works for us bunnies.   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

A frying pan
A wooden spoon

ive got to ask about this method in more detail...including the expletives  :icon_mrgreen:

looks nice and black, rather than dull grey..

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: patrick398 on May 28, 2018, 06:58:44 PM

If this is all it took, I'd be making FabergĂ© stompboxes by now...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

vigilante397

I used laserjet waterslides for a long time and they are a good way to get good quality results with little(-ish) effort. But frankly your toner transfer looks better than a lot of my waterslides did 8)
The 'best way' is to pick one method and stick with doing it over and over again, practicing until you're in control.

+1 to that. If I had stuck with waterslides longer I probably would have figured it out. Or if I stuck with handpainting, or if I stuck with etching... ::)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

patrick398

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 29, 2018, 07:41:24 AM
A frying pan
A wooden spoon

ive got to ask about this method in more detail...including the expletives  :icon_mrgreen:

looks nice and black, rather than dull grey..

I don't have an iron so i just thought i'd try out another heat source. I heated a small frying pan with a folded piece of tin foil in it, heated the front of the enclosure for a short time so the transfer would tack on then put it back face down in the frying pan and applied pressure with the wooden spoon. After a minute or so on a pretty high heat i removed it and then rubbed the paper hard with the spoon. Repeated that a couple of times. A little bit of sea salt and garnish with a slice of lime; delicious.
The dual LFO phaser i did first actually came out a little better i think. I probably applied to much force on this one, hence the small amount of bleed at the bottom.
I tried a few times using the matte medium transfer method but could never get the paper fibres out and would usually end up rubbing through the medium itself. I'm guessing i didn't leave it to dry long enough (over 24hrs)

This is the paper i used for the heat transfer method:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A4-White-GLOSS-Plain-Self-Adhesive-Sticker-Paper-Sheet-Address-Label/201007238437?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=500212701262&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Works pretty well (using the back sheet obviously)

Quote from: vigilante397 on May 29, 2018, 09:54:17 AM
I used laserjet waterslides for a long time and they are a good way to get good quality results with little(-ish) effort. But frankly your toner transfer looks better than a lot of my waterslides did 8)

+1 to that. If I had stuck with waterslides longer I probably would have figured it out. Or if I stuck with handpainting, or if I stuck with etching... ::)

Think i might try waterslides next, had pretty shoddy results first time but didn't try doing a full face decal. Having said that, i only have a B&W laser printer so wouldn't be able to do colour anyway. Maybe i'll just stick with black text/logos and try different coloured enclosures.  :)

Fender3D

Quote from: patrick398 on May 29, 2018, 10:50:58 AM
... I heated a small frying pan with a folded piece of tin foil in it, heated the front of the enclosure for a short time so the transfer would tack on then put it back face down in the frying pan and applied pressure with the wooden spoon. After a minute or so on a pretty high heat i removed it and then rubbed the paper hard with the spoon.
Quote from: patrick398 on May 29, 2018, 10:50:58 AMRepeated that a couple of times. A little bit of sea salt and garnish with a slice of lime; delicious.

You're not married Patrick, obviously,
otherwise ask your wife whether she has a sister....
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

patrick398

I'm not married no, which i strange because with all this frying and swearing i'm very much the Gordon Ramsey of the toner transfer world

deadastronaut

buy a cheapo iron....you can use it for clothes too apparently ... :icon_mrgreen:

mrs astro 'donated' her old iron. ;)

Fender3D

Quote from: deadastronaut on May 30, 2018, 05:19:00 AM
buy a cheapo iron....you can use it for clothes too apparently ... :icon_mrgreen:

mrs astro 'donated' her old iron. ;)

Etching clothes, Rob?
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

Willypp

Ok, so:

Beastmode:  Superjudge, Mudflap (Triple Wreck with modified TS based boost), plus 1knob gate.  And yes, his eyes light up when you play.

Reactor:  Baja's JVM410 with added bypassable EQ. Worked first go, but never again.

Lightspeed:  Madbean Afterlife and Pickdropper Minitaur.  Sandwiched back to back in a 125b.

Genuine Fake:  "Jfet Overdrive" found on the tagboard forums.

rankot

Engineer's Thumb inside and outside:

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!