Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on September 19, 2018, 04:19:12 PM
4 effing years?...you lazy sod :icon_mrgreen:

cool... 8)

I know...  Life, work and bad weather keep getting in the way.   :icon_rolleyes:   I need my man-cave!!!

I've got your Tremshifter to finish off (probably this weekend).  Then it's your bass preamp.  And finally (I think) there's the Abductor.

Then I can give someone else a turn!   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

idiot savant

Finally got around to completing a long time project:

True stereo cross-fading panner. Basically every panner on the market keeps the channels completely separate, modulating them in opposite fashion. Right channel is always right channel, Left channel is always left channel.

This is the opposite idea. Want your left channel distortion chain, and your right channel modulation chain to fly across a mix? That's what this does.

un-faded: Right input-->Right output, Left input -->Left output
cross-faded: Right input-->Left output, Left input-->Right output

9 waveforms: sine, ramp, saw, triangle, square, random, ring mod(audio rate square wave), manual, manual inverted.

Expression/CV input.

extra fancy synth style vcas(not ota) with high headroom.

yadda, yadda...

snarblinge

That is a beautiful thing, understated, and i'm sure potentially mental dialled. love it.

care to share details, I'd love to build one.
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

italianguy63

Pretty work!!   8)

MC
I used to really be with it!  That is, until they changed what "it" is.  Now, I can't find it.  And, I'm scared!  --  Homer Simpson's dad

duck_arse

don't make me draw another line.

bluebunny

Quote from: bluebunny on September 20, 2018, 03:38:34 AM
I've got your Tremshifter to finish off (probably this weekend).  Then it's your bass preamp.  And finally (I think) there's the Abductor.

Then I can give someone else a turn!   ;D

I just spotted an unstuffed Faze Filter board...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: snarblinge on September 20, 2018, 05:46:46 AM
That is a beautiful thing, understated, and i'm sure potentially mental dialled. love it.

+1 agree. Lovely work, and I'd like to hear more too. Which VCAs did you use, for example? How did you do the different waveforms?

idiot savant

Quote from: ElectricDruid on September 20, 2018, 01:53:28 PM
Quote from: snarblinge on September 20, 2018, 05:46:46 AM

+1 agree. Lovely work, and I'd like to hear more too. Which VCAs did you use, for example? How did you do the different waveforms?

Thanks fellas!

The LFO and bypass is done with a MCU.

There is no real bypass, the bypass switch just stops the LFO and resets the inputs to their proper outputs. Since the whole thing runs at unity gain all the time, and the signal path is high quality, no actual mechanical bypass is needed at all! The middle LED is the active/bypass indicator, the outer LEDs both indicate the rate and thereby the status of the cross-fade.

I'm using the trusty v2164 vcas. The newer SSI version looks like it would be even better. Noise performance is excellent.

I'm super happy with how it turned out. :)

Cheers!

patrick398

That is a thing of beauty. Would love to hear how it sounds. Also, really digging that low profile DC jack...no getting pots stuck under the DC jack for you.

bluebunny

Quote from: patrick398 on September 21, 2018, 06:32:32 AM
Also, really digging that low profile DC jack...no getting pots stuck under the DC jack for you.

Isn't that an "innie" with an extra washer on the inside?

innie                outie
  • SUPPORTER

Paul T

Here's my newest build: an all-tube preamp with 3 gain stages and a buffer for the eq. It sounds loud and great; Marshall-like tones at any volume. I had the pcb made; I found a website that can make 10 pcbs (10cm X 10cm) for 5$... shipping not included. (www.pcbgogo.com) I highly recommend it.

Fets or tubes, analog rules !

Marcos - Munky

Nice! It was based on a marshall preamp?

Paul T

The circuit is based on standards Marshall type preamps. I selected the components so I can have a Marshall-like sound, yet can clean up to a Fender type sound: remember that 3 gain stages can give you a lot of drive and distortion. By adjusting the gain and volume control, you can have both end of the spectrum.
Fets or tubes, analog rules !

diydave

Quote from: Paul T on September 21, 2018, 11:06:37 PM
The circuit is based on standards Marshall type preamps. I selected the components so I can have a Marshall-like sound, yet can clean up to a Fender type sound: remember that 3 gain stages can give you a lot of drive and distortion. By adjusting the gain and volume control, you can have both end of the spectrum.

IMHO, nothing beats the 2204 Marshall tube pre-amp.
Very nice build.

alixxx

This is my version of Maxon OD-808 Overdrive.
I added some functions that expand the functionality: Voice switch, clipping mode (silicon/LED, symmetrycal/asymmetrical), bypass mode switch (true/buffer).
I used film capacitors instead electolytic caps.

bluebunny

Quote from: bluebunny on September 20, 2018, 03:38:34 AM
I've got your Tremshifter to finish off.

Ta da!

Just one or two faux pas on the way...

• I managed to sink a hole in the side for the DC where it would snag the board, so I had to re-drill a suitable hole elsewhere, and there's a 12mm gap that needs plugging.  :icon_rolleyes:
  • I decided to put the filter pots on the left and the tremolo pots on the right, despite the layout on the board and the position of the switches hinting otherwise.  :icon_rolleyes:
  • I put all the LED connections back-to-front (including the hand-rolled vactrols) and had to redo them all.  :icon_rolleyes:
Thankfully, it does sound rather fantastic.  Well done, Rob.   :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

ElectricDruid

Quote from: idiot savant on September 20, 2018, 09:04:05 PM
Thanks fellas!

The LFO and bypass is done with a MCU.

There is no real bypass, the bypass switch just stops the LFO and resets the inputs to their proper outputs. Since the whole thing runs at unity gain all the time, and the signal path is high quality, no actual mechanical bypass is needed at all! The middle LED is the active/bypass indicator, the outer LEDs both indicate the rate and thereby the status of the cross-fade.

I'm using the trusty v2164 vcas. The newer SSI version looks like it would be even better. Noise performance is excellent.

I'm super happy with how it turned out. :)

Cheers!

Ok, based on that, let me have a guess at what's on that board. You've got a uP and a pair of 4822 DACs at the top. That gives you four 12-bit CVs - way more than good enough. In fact, with a 0 to -100dB range, you've got roughly 1/40th dB accuracy, which is so far beyond perceptible it's in the realms of delightful fantasy.
There's two CVs for each output, so you can fade input A or input B to each output.
Below that you've got two V2164's. You'll have had to deal with the output voltage form the DACs being 0-4.095V and the VCAs only needing 0-3.3V. Eight VCAs lets you take two stereo inputs and send them to one of two outputs. The two VCAs get the same four CVs, but flipped round. This is neat because it avoids the inverters you often see for stuff like this.
Finally at the bottom you've got a pair of dual op-amps. The one on the left looks like stereo input buffers to me. The one on the right is the I-to-V convertors for the VCAs (AKA inverting mixers without the input resistors). Again, it's a stereo pair, hence the dual amp.

How did I do?!

rankot

5150 by TrueVAL, many thanks to Temol for help!

It has two switchable tonestacks, one is the original one, another one is Vox tone stack, and also switchable cab sim.

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

temol

What cabsim did you use? Any sample with a VOX tone stack?

T.

rankot

I used Lart cabsim v2.0. Vox reduces volume more than original TS, perhaps because it expects 620k impedance afterwards, while we have 100k volume pot in this design. It sounds different, but interesting. If I have time to record a demo, I'll post it.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!