SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Sweet toggle switch.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

diydave

Small Clone, with the stomplfo from electrodruide.
Had an issue with it, but it turned out to be a faulty potentiometer. Now works like a charm.
Besides the chorus-swirl, there even seems to be a hint of very short delay (kinda reverby).

ElectricDruid

Very nice, Dave. Do you use the non-typical chorus waves much? Personally, I like the random slopes one for chorus, and random steps sound good with a high res flanger, but otherwise not so much. Ramp chorus doesn't do much for me!

garcho

^ i only ever use ramp LFOs when instruments are synced together, say, if my trem pedal is synced to my drummer's "brain" or abelton or something like that. or synths/loopers/samplers are all having fun together. otherwise it seems like the moment where the peak resets is too percussive, jarring if it doesn't "fit".
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

diydave

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 17, 2019, 05:22:09 PM
Very nice, Dave. Do you use the non-typical chorus waves much? Personally, I like the random slopes one for chorus, and random steps sound good with a high res flanger, but otherwise not so much. Ramp chorus doesn't do much for me!

The random waves have an interesting touch to the chorus. I like the random steps more for the 'jibberish' sound, although I'm not quite sure if I will ever use it in a live bandsetting.

Found an interesting sound with the sinus lfo. With a certain rate and depth, it's like a fat tremelo + chorus.

roseblood11

Boss OD-1 Overdrive and Vox 1901 Distortion with the "Two FX Toggle Flex" bypass circuit.
Explained here: https://musikding.rocks/wbb/index.php/Thread/418027-Schaltlogik-f%C3%BCr-zwei-Effekte-in-einem-Geh%C3%A4use/?pageNo=3

garcho

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

cloudscapes

finished this crazy thing

video tomorrow hopefully

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

ElectricDruid

Holy moly! 16 pots on a single pedal!

Is that fully digital or digitally-controlled analog?

cloudscapes

Quote from: ElectricDruid on June 24, 2019, 08:27:18 AM
Holy moly! 16 pots on a single pedal!
Is that fully digital or digitally-controlled analog?

Digitally-controlled analog ringmod. Hence the beefy charge pump power stuff on the right side of the board for the ad633.

There's a bunch of kinds of modulation going on! It's a ringmod, but there are 4 carrier oscillators instead of one. I can modulate their amplitude with a quadrature lfo. So at any given time, the first oscillator is modulated by the lfo normally, the second modulated by the lfo+25% phase, the third by lfo+50% phase, and fourth by lfo+75% phase. It makes for a much more organic "sequenced" ringmod where tones smoothly blend between each-other and often are played simultaneously. Sequenced polyphony in a way. I can vary the phase which is super cool! With the phase dialed lower I get a neat church-bell sequence with a long pause. With phase dialed higher the last oscillator starts overlapping the first and I get an interesting 3/4 sequence with the first doubling up with the last! I'm not locked to quarter phase offset either, it's smooth shifting on the fly.

It's my first project using arm. And I'm also working towards designing a digital/analog hybrid polysynth so I wanted a simpler project to learn arm and make a neat wavetable engine! The wavetables are 10bit (probably overkill), drawn in inkscape/photoshop. The oscillators/lfo interpolate between table samples, as well as interpolating/blending between tables.

I made this diagram:

Also updated the photo in my original post. I took it late last night and messed up the color temperature.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

bamslam69

That is a work of art, Cloudscapes!
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

bamslam69

Put together an Acapulco Gold with the extra gain pot.
Box artwork was designed and printed by a mate.

Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

EBK

I'm not quite done with this yet, but thought I would post it before I @#$% it up attempting to cut the holes and clear coat it.  This was the first time I have had a decal lay down completely flat immediately without any bubbles or wrinkles.

Pedal will be my Dimension-C clone (aion blueshift in a 1590B) that I finished soldering well over a year ago (I suck at completing the graphics steps in a timely manner on all of my builds).

• SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Very nice, Eric.  I was way too scared to try to squeeze mine into anything smaller than a suitcase.  (Though I did insist on using radio buttons, which took up a pile of extra space.)

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

EBK

Quote from: bluebunny on June 27, 2019, 02:42:29 AM
Very nice, Eric.  I was way too scared to try to squeeze mine into anything smaller than a suitcase.  (Though I did insist on using radio buttons, which took up a pile of extra space.)

Thanks.  I looked and looked for radio buttons, but I couldn't find any in the right configuration at a reasonable price.  I didn't like the look of the toggle switches (all my pedals have knobs--this just looks naked) until someone suggested these dress nuts I used.  I also didn't like the look of the screw head on the pedal face, so I JB Welded that to the inside of the box.  It all fits in a 1590B, but just barely.  I had to grind away a bunch of material inside the lid, for instance.  If I were to do it again, I'd go with a 1590B2 instead.
Here is what the board clearances look like:

I didn't clean the flux on this build.  Messy looking, I know.  I'll probably take care of that before reboxing it.
I did wire it up after taking those pics, and it does work.  It is a very sophisticated sounding chorus (best way I can describe it), and I like it a lot. I still need to try the stereo out, which is where this circuit truly shines, I'm told.

I can't resist giving a couple more details.  The labeling is based on the Twilight Zone opening narration from seasons 4 & 5:
QuoteYou unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension—a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into the Twilight Zone.
The font is Bernhard Modern, which seems to match the episode title text on the show.  The splitting of the text "THINGS IDEAS" is how I chose to indicate which output is the stereo one.  At first, I tried labeling the stomp switch "IMAGINATION", but I didn't like the way it looked.  Ok, I'll stop now.   :icon_razz:
  • SUPPORTER

deadastronaut

looks awesome eric.....dressed nuts?...

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: deadastronaut on June 27, 2019, 08:21:24 AM
looks awesome eric.....dressed nuts?...

+1

Every gentleman should have dressed nuts.  :icon_cool:

BTW, my radio buttons weren't that simple.  I needed 4x DPDT, but couldn't find any.  :icon_confused:  I could find 4x 4PDT and 2x DPDT, so I bought both and took them apart.  Some slight rearrangement later, and voilĂ !  :icon_biggrin:
  • SUPPORTER

bluebunny

Quote from: rankot on May 18, 2019, 03:40:06 AM
Merlin's Spark Gap (dual band Tube Screamer with real tubes), made by myself:

I meant to ask, Ranko - do you have a board design for this?  Was thinking of building one of these...
  • SUPPORTER

mth5044

Quote from: cloudscapes on June 23, 2019, 11:36:13 PM
finished this crazy thing

video tomorrow hopefully

Good to see your stuff again. I remember 10+ years ago on HCFX being inspired by your pedals and the outer graphics. Seeing this shocked me back to those days, and I'm still just as awed by it  ;D

bamslam69

I stupidly gave away my noisy cricket to a mate years ago, so I built myself another. I had an old lunchbox lying around, but squeezing everything into this wheely bin was worth the effort!
Rotary dial on side switches between the "betta bass" capacitors, indicated by an RGB LED on front.
I added some terminal posts for easy connection to whatever speaker I find lying around, but what they said is true - this sounds great in a 4x12 quad!

Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah