News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

niektb

This was my very first DIY pedal attempt: a TubeScreamer clone with a couple popular mods along with a bridged-T low-mid control. Drew the pcb myself also :)

rankot

Quote from: niektb on June 04, 2020, 07:27:47 AM
This was my very first DIY pedal attempt: a TubeScreamer clone with a couple popular mods along with a bridged-T low-mid control. Drew the pcb myself also :)
Nice! Welcome to the club!
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

niektb

Quote from: rankot on June 04, 2020, 09:27:30 AM
Quote from: niektb on June 04, 2020, 07:27:47 AM
Nice! Welcome to the club!
Thanks!  ;D :icon_mrgreen:

rankot

One more, now with knobs:

• SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

niektb

What a mess lol :-X :-X
Never was I ever so ashamed of myself  :o

I didn't want to drill enclosures myself anymore so I went for pre-drilled with top-mounted jacks and assumed it would fit fine (with pcb-mounted pots) but I was wrong  ???
Had to saw the corners (and resolder the components fitted there) but still not enough room
So I went to solder the pcb to the footswitch instead, but the footprint was wrong so I had to desolder 9 lugs simultaneously (but I managed to and the pcb even survived :icon_mrgreen:)
But I succeeded to make it work and it sounds absolutely killer!! it's a Friedman BE-OD with an added mid-control (from the Friedman Dirty Shirley) :icon_mrgreen:

Just close the lid and nobody knows :icon_mrgreen: (it's just for personal use anyways haha)

(the duc tape is to prevent the caps' top from touching the case)

patrick398

Lock down Blues Driver. Didn't need it, didn't really want it, but certainly had enough time to do some PCB layouts. Made with surface mount j201s, sounds pretty good

rankot

Quote from: patrick398 on June 10, 2020, 08:30:05 AM
Lock down Blues Driver. Didn't need it, didn't really want it, but certainly had enough time to do some PCB layouts. Made with surface mount j201s, sounds pretty good

Nice graphics!
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

patrick398

Quote from: bluebunny on June 10, 2020, 11:06:09 AM
Lock down Blues Driver.

BTW, gut shot.  Plz.

Certainly. Anything for Jazz Club!

I actually snipped out D9 and D10, i think i preferred it but now i can't remember. Also that cap is burnt on purpose...for tonal reasons...honest.

vigilante397

Quote from: patrick398 on June 10, 2020, 11:33:24 AM
Also that cap is burnt on purpose...for tonal reasons...honest.

Pretty sure the originals all featured a slightly melted 47nF cap, that was part of the mojo. Looks great, inside and out 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Fender3D

Quote from: patrick398 on June 10, 2020, 11:33:24 AM
Also that cap is burnt on purpose...for tonal reasons...honest.

Asymmetrical burnt???
"NOT FLAMMABLE" is not a challenge

garcho

some fruit flavored candy condiment color pedals from the last month, graphics to be done by a friend:

ROG Tri-Vibe (great sounding pedal, highly recommended) and generic "transparent" overdrive, LED pot lights up green :)

some FSU aliaser bit crusher nyquisty pedals that don't need labels for controls:

went for that "relic" look

diskoteka!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

temol

Something new from me - Colorsound Power Boost. There's onboard charge pump (it's possible to jumper between 9/18V) and master vol.

T.

slowpogo

What is the method for those graphics? Looks nice and clean.

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: garcho on June 10, 2020, 01:38:07 PM
diskoteka!
I used one of these leds once, they look very cool. But mine had a audible ticking noise each time the led blinks. Did you had this issue?

rankot

Quote from: slowpogo on June 12, 2020, 04:01:47 PM

I believe that's a PCB with a black solder mask and white silkscreen.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

davent

Quote from: slowpogo on June 12, 2020, 04:01:47 PM

Quote from: patrick398 on May 11, 2020, 05:05:42 AM
Quote from: bluebunny on May 10, 2020, 05:14:59 PM
Nice one, Patrick.  Love the design.  Is that a sticker?

No it's a PCB actually. I make them in illustrator before doing to actual PCB layout then have them manufactured at the same time as the PCBs :)
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

slowpogo

Wow, using a PCB as a graphics plate wasn't even on my radar. Is the price reasonable for a one-off? Where do people have this done?

patrick398

Whether it's economically viable for one offs depends on how much you're willing to spend making a single pedal really. Minimum order from fab houses is 5 pieces so it's more expensive than a lot of finishing options.. The whole process took me a while to perfect, it means designing the faceplate before you design the pcb, which creates some part placement limitations on the pcb. Usually takes a few redesigns to get things where you want them on the faceplate but also nearish where they need to be on the pcb.
I use illustrator and Kicad and the process is a little fiddly, requires a bit of back and forth.

ElectricDruid

Interesting. If you are doing the front panels in Illustrator, how do you get gerber files to send to a PCB house? Does Illustrator output some format that's useful?