SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Thanks, guys!
I'm proud of the way it turned out. 

I always get nervous when it is time to paint.  I got very lucky this time.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Steben

It takes skill and experience to design such a box and to know where to keep it simple. The choice for a white box with those white knobs.... really. Dashing.
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

EBK

Quote from: Steben on October 03, 2020, 02:04:10 PM
It takes skill and experience to design such a box and to know where to keep it simple. The choice for a white box with those white knobs.... really. Dashing.
Thanks!
Earlier in the year, I did an ivory colored pedal with ivory colored knobs, and I liked it a lot, so I wanted to try something similar with white.  Plus, I was dying to try out those 9mm pot knobs, and this gave me an excuse.  I also think white is an underused color for pedals (the OCD is the only one I could think of).
  • SUPPORTER

EBK

^Late Edit:  And now, I seem to see white guitar pedals everywhere I look. I guess I didn't pay enough attention before.   :icon_redface: :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER

garcho

^ that scuba muff looks mighty handsome!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

ElectricDruid

Quote from: EBK on October 06, 2020, 07:00:49 AM
^Late Edit:  And now, I seem to see white guitar pedals everywhere I look. I guess I didn't pay enough attention before.   :icon_redface: :icon_lol:

It's weird how that happens, isn't it? Couple of years ago, I bought a new car, a model I hadn't really seen anywhere. As soon as I was driving it, it seemed like they were everywhere. Presumably they'd been there all along, but I'd never noticed 'til I was driving one!

garcho

still on the candy color theme

Bulgarian Carrot (a.k.a. Scotch Bonnet), my take on Escobedo's Bronx Cheer
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

rutabaga bob

Any reason for the name change of your effect, Gary?  I DO like the 'Bulgarian Carrot', though...
Life is just a series of obstacles preventing you from taking a nap...

"I can't resist a filter" - Kipper

davent

Grew those for a few years, not that hot but hot enough, 5k - 30k scovilles heat units, Scotch Bonnets  median ~225K SHU, the extreme hot ones a number of millions of SHU.

Nice looking pedal!
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

garcho

Thank you gentlemen!

I love peppers, especially chilies, and I like to garden. Having collectively spent years of my life in Bulgaria, I couldn't pass up the Bulgarian Carrot pepper I saw in a seed catalog. Bright orange and a little spicy. Seemed like a more personal and appropriate name than the Scotch Bonnet, and as an Easter egg bonus, shares the initials with the original Bronx Cheer.

Bulgaria has amazing gardeners and veggies. The peppers in Bulgaria are rarely chilies but they do have very flavorful long red peppers, classic roasting peppers. The whole country smells like roast peppers for about a month. You see people with hundreds of pounds of peppers in their car. They have one spicy type called a Shipka, or just "hot pepper". They're like Serrano peppers, a little different but similar. Can be hot and usually a really nice veggie taste. They don't ever cook with them oddly enough, they're usually eaten raw along side lunch or dinner. I always thought that was bonkers.

QuoteGrew those for a few years, not that hot but hot enough
Mine were super mild, except at the top near the stem, kinda disappointing. Nothing special flavorwise either, although they were gorgeous. Any favorite chilies? My favorite chilies are Chocolate Habanero and Aji Dolce. The Habanero is one the most flavorful pepper of any type, mind blowing flavor and magical aromatics. Honestly, I wish I had some that tasted the same but were way less hot. The Aji Dolce (barely spicy at all) smell like they're super hot chilies, and look like orange Habaneros or some Scotch Bonnets, but they're less hot than Pablanos. It still sort of registers as heat, but freshly ground black pepper is hotter, at least, when it gets stuck in your teeth. But Aji Dolce flavor is absolutely fireworks.

I haven't gardened for years now, and I never was very good at giving the proper attention, what did you grow this year?

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

davent

Growing a couple this year that were suppose to approach the flavour of the Habanero without the heat Yellow Biquinho (there's also a red) and the Habanada. The Biquinho is a tiny little pepper that give an initial rush of panic then a complete fade with no afterburn, they tasted good, pickled a bunch of those, good roasted, good on pizza. The Habanada ripen to a dull orange but i really didn't think they did the Habanero flavour thing, haven't really used many of those, don't find the colouring that attractive and we've loads of of red sweets to use which have  flavour and looks going for them. Both these have been prolific producers in pots on the patio.

Hot Portugal is the hot we've grown for years, same Scoville score as the Bulgarian Carrot where our Carrots were at i'd say the top end of the scale the Portugal was more moderate. One of these in my stir fry with additional Sriracha and you can stiil taste everything else in there with a nice heat. Good reliable producer, nice taste and good in pots, all our peppers are in pots.

Have grown Ghosts and Trindad Red Scorpions, they were pretty insane, used those to make pepper jelly, a liitle dab will do ya, glazed i ham with it once, that was good!

Also started doing roasted/charred Shishitos, bit of salt and an acid to finish really tasty, one in ten is sorta hot, nice little side dish with minimal work. haven't tried growing these, can get a bag of those at the market for a couple dollars.

Yellow Biquinho & Hot Portugal

Habanada

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

garcho

oh man, you're a green thumb, looking good, and that Yellow Biquinho sounds amazing!!! I figured someone who knew the Bulgarian Carrot wasn't a euphemism would be a chili head  ;D

the Shishitos at the market this year have been extraordinarily tasty, i just blistered some up last night, with a little shichimi, lime and salt, i could eat those by the ton
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

kraal

Here is a Small Clone clone (with some mods) in a 1590B enclosure.
I did the PCB layout (4 layers) from scratch. I'm pretty happy with the result (just inverted the rate jack... but this can be easily fixed with a single trace cut.)
Note that C22 and C23 are not populated on purpose (if populated, 6 different clock oscillation frequency flavors can be selected with jumpers).

davent

Quote from: garcho on October 07, 2020, 03:31:13 PM
oh man, you're a green thumb, looking good, and that Yellow Biquinho sounds amazing!!! I figured someone who knew the Bulgarian Carrot wasn't a euphemism would be a chili head  ;D

the Shishitos at the market this year have been extraordinarily tasty, i just blistered some up last night, with a little shichimi, lime and salt, i could eat those by the ton

Was a hot and cloudless summer so only watering and feeding with fish/kelp emulsion was required of me, no green thumb necessary.

You're way ahead of the game with the Shishito's, i have a tiny bowl with ground up toasted sesame seeds, granulated garlic and salt i use that but will have to try out the shichimi. Found a recipe and have most of the ingredients, will give it a go.

Soon, i should finish a pedal again, too much still to do outside...
dave

Marcos - Munky

Biquinho is one of the most popular peppers here in Brazil. Tastes so good, don't burn at all. You can easily eat a handful of them. Where I live, the red one is way more common than the yellow one. For scoville scores, it's about 1K units. The Capsicum baccatum (don't know the name in english, is a variation of the aji pepper and here it's called "dedo de moça", something like lady's fingers because of it's shape) is probably the most common one, with about 5K-15K scoville units.

A few days ago, I was doing some pineapple+pepper jelly and I was supposed to use this dedo de moça. I found something different on the marked, a very beautiful yellow pepper, sold as "spicy pepper". After I made the jelly, I found out that pepper was the yellow habanero, and the jelly turned out very good, and too spicy for some's tastes. I got a few seeds of this yellow habanero, still have to grow them.

davent

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on October 07, 2020, 07:14:58 PM
Biquinho is one of the most popular peppers here in Brazil. Tastes so good, don't burn at all. You can easily eat a handful of them. Where I live, the red one is way more common than the yellow one. For scoville scores, it's about 1K units. The Capsicum baccatum (don't know the name in encglosh, is a variation of the aji pepper and here it's called "dedo de moça", something like lady's fingers because of it's shape) is probably the most common one, with about 5K-15K scoville units.

A few days ago, I was doing some pineapple+pepper jelly and I was supposed to use this dedo de moça. I found something different on the marked, a very beautiful yellow pepper, sold as "spicy pepper". After I made the jelly, I found out that pepper was the yellow habanero, and the jelly turned out very good, and too spicy for some's tastes. I got a few seeds of this yellow habanero, still have to grow them.

The seed seller i bought from mentioned they were very popular in Brazil. I bought the yellow just to give us some more pepper colour options.

https://www.incredibleseeds.ca/products/biquinho-hot-pepper-seeds?variant=20998246236237
dave

Marcos - Munky

Imo, the yellow variation tastes better than the red one, and also a bit spicier but not too much. But both are tasteful. It's pretty common to use both of them as garnish for other foods, like salads and meat.

Electron Tornado

A couple of recent builds:

G-Fuzz is a germanium fuzz face, with the fuzz control wired full on and a bias control in it's place. The transistors are discussed here: https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=125001.msg1188389#msg1188389

Fuzz is a Tonebender MkII with germanium transistors and a bias control added. The bias and volume controls are somewhat interactive. This fuzz sounds amazing, and is, by far, my favorite fuzz.

These were my first attempts at swirl painting, and seemed to go OK. The decals came out OK as well. My clear coating is a bit embarassing.

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

o2bthecream

Combo RAT + Big Muff Pi with reversible order switch (center) using GGG kits.

Bonus: Foxx Tone Machine GGG Kit

Electron Tornado

These are some amps I've done over the past few years, but I don't remember if I posted them.

First, a Vox AC4TV chassis I repaired, kept stock, and rehoused:

Second, a Fender Champion 600 repair and rehouse, modded with tone controls, tone bypass, and changed the OT to get 4/8/16 ohm outputs:

Third, a Peavey Valve King Royal 8. Changed a couple of dodgy components, and a new OT to get 4/8/16 ohm outputs.

• SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?