SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phend

^ Very clean looking. Hows it sound ?
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

alixxx

vigilante397

Another one from me, my take on the Kingsley Harlot V2 (V3 hadn't been released when I traced this one). I used a MMBFJ201 instead of 2N5458 for the FET stage, but otherwise followed the original. Finish is (as always) UV print with powder clearcoat.

Smudged and flux-covered guts:

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

davent

Super!

How annoying is it to have to hand solder the wires to the jacks?
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

vigilante397

Quote from: davent on April 03, 2021, 12:25:18 AM
Super!

How annoying is it to have to hand solder the wires to the jacks?
dave

Thanks :) It's a little frustrating, feels like it takes forever ::) I've managed to speed it up a little though, I know exactly the length of wire I need for each stretch and I pay my niece to cut wires to length for me.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Marcos - Munky

Awesome build, Nathan! Well, all of yours are :icon_mrgreen:

Is the schematic for this one available? I got my eyes on this one for a while, and indeed found a schematic, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

vigilante397

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on April 03, 2021, 11:51:39 AM
Awesome build, Nathan! Well, all of yours are :icon_mrgreen:

Is the schematic for this one available? I got my eyes on this one for a while, and indeed found a schematic, but I'm not sure if it's correct.

Thanks :) You may have found a copy of my schematic, I'm not sure there are others out there. A friend of mine wanted a smaller one so he sent me his unit to trace. I think the first copy had a couple component values wrong as I used the default value from my library and forgot to change it, but this is the final one I used for the layout. Make sure you use an On-On-On DPDT for the mode switch, not On-Off-On. Oh and ignore the pin numbers on the tube, I have my "daughter board" as a component in my software and the pin numbers correspond to that. Also the original uses an LDO to get 6.3V for the heater in parallel, I just run heaters in series and use 9V or 12V straight in.

• SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Marcos - Munky

Thanks for the schematic. It was indeed a copy of your schematic, but probably with the wrong values. On-on-on switches simply doesn't exist at local stores, but I think I can work with something. I mean, there are one unused lug on each switch so basically there is or there isn't a connecting to ground and, in case I can't get a on-on-on, I can just use two separated SPSTs :icon_mrgreen:

Just two more questions. How did you got the 27.4V? And I don't think I got the low switch correctly, is it a on-off-on SPST switch with C1 on one pole, C4 on the other pole and nothing on the center?

Btw, aren't you using subminis anymore? Iirc the last pics you posted use full size tubes.

vigilante397

The 27.4V was what I measured from the original, I copied his voltage divider (R1/R2) off the HV rail to get the JFET supply.

The lows is On-Off-On with C4 in the center, C1 on one lug, then a jumper on the other lug.

It's true, I've stopped designing with subminis and starting in May I won't even build old designs with them for customers. Power consumption, microphonics, and user serviceability are the main reasons for the switch.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 02, 2021, 11:51:59 PM
Another one from me, my take on the Kingsley Harlot V2 (V3 hadn't been released when I traced this one). I used a MMBFJ201 instead of 2N5458 for the FET stage, but otherwise followed the original. Finish is (as always) UV print with powder clearcoat.

Smudged and flux-covered guts:

Very professional! :)

I would like to build for the first time some tube preamp pedal or sort of like Kingsley pedal, for example, or something more like a classic british or american style preamp.
But I think it's not so good power up it just at 9v or 18v, and in the European shop where I used to buy I can't find any small transformer that can power at high voltage, but just big transformers big at max 12v, maybe 18.
Any advice about it?

I used to build on stripboard, so something with the right pin spacing will be nice, else I'll see alternative.

Thanks!
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

vigilante397

Transformers are the traditional way to do high voltage, but I prefer SMPS as I can get it much smaller and it's generally a quieter way to do it. I use the typical "nixie" high voltage supply, it needs a big MOSFET (I use IRF740) and an inductor (I use 100uH) but aside from those it's all common components with a NE555 for the oscillator.
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

temol

Yellow Hybrid Tone Bender in a diy box. Yellow powdercoat base, waterslide artwork and then clear poweder coat. I liked yellow only coat (lightly matte) better. This is my first time with clear powdercoat.

Elijah-Baley

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 04, 2021, 01:41:45 PM
Transformers are the traditional way to do high voltage, but I prefer SMPS as I can get it much smaller and it's generally a quieter way to do it. I use the typical "nixie" high voltage supply, it needs a big MOSFET (I use IRF740) and an inductor (I use 100uH) but aside from those it's all common components with a NE555 for the oscillator.

Thanks! SMPS seems perfect. ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

rankot

Quote from: temol on April 05, 2021, 03:04:01 AM
Yellow Hybrid Tone Bender in a diy box. Yellow powdercoat base, waterslide artwork and then clear poweder coat. I liked yellow only coat (lightly matte) better. This is my first time with clear powdercoat.

This looks soooo cooool!

NPN or PNP transistors?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

temol

Quote from: rankot on April 05, 2021, 05:32:12 AM
NPN or PNP transistors?

NPN. BC547B, BC109C, MP38A

rankot

Quote from: temol on April 05, 2021, 10:25:10 AM
Quote from: rankot on April 05, 2021, 05:32:12 AM
NPN or PNP transistors?

NPN. BC547B, BC109C, MP38A

Interesting choice! I've build my first Tone Bender few weeks ago, using MP20 as Q1/2 and 1T308V as Q3. Sounds really nice.
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: vigilante397 on April 03, 2021, 08:15:31 PM
The 27.4V was what I measured from the original, I copied his voltage divider (R1/R2) off the HV rail to get the JFET supply.

The lows is On-Off-On with C4 in the center, C1 on one lug, then a jumper on the other lug.

It's true, I've stopped designing with subminis and starting in May I won't even build old designs with them for customers. Power consumption, microphonics, and user serviceability are the main reasons for the switch.
Got it. Thanks again for the answers. I'll try to make a layout for this one after I finish two builds that are on my workbench (aka pc desk).

I only used subminis a few times. I heard they have a short lifespam, not sure on that. But they're harder to replace than a regular tube, and way harder to find at least down here. So I just use a regular tube when I build a tube circuit.

Quote from: Elijah-Baley on April 04, 2021, 05:07:27 AM
Any advice about it?

I used to build on stripboard, so something with the right pin spacing will be nice, else I'll see alternative.
I also advice you to use a smps. I powered a Fender, a JCM800 and a Dual Rect preamp with the 555 smps and it worked great. I know there was a layout around but I'm not sure if it was for perfboard or stripboard and I can't find it rn. But if you can do stripboard I can share my layout, it's for pcb but can be easily converted to stripboard.

That's so beautiful!

davent

Looks great!

I'm not a fan of glossy either much prefer a matte finish, are various degrees of luster available in powder coat.

Might try a very fine wet sandpaper to dull the sheen in an inconspicuous spot or on another experimental/sacrificial piece? That' a big might!
dave
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

eh la bas ma

We all do food comparaisons to describe a sound. My take on a Tubescreamer :

These green peas were tasteless (transparent ?), even though advertising reads : "soft, melt-in-the-mouth texture".

Now the tagline tells the truth ! It is "enchanting my everyday life". With the gain set on 3 o'clock, I can almost hear that little piece of butter on top...

I am keeping most of my garbage with me, since I started building stompboxes, almost clean and ready to use . For my next project (redshift phaser), I have a beautiful empty pack of cheap rice with a dragon on it. I am so excited !
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

temol

Quote from: davent on April 05, 2021, 11:51:26 AM
Might try a very fine wet sandpaper to dull the sheen in an inconspicuous spot or on another experimental/sacrificial piece? That' a big might!

Worth trying but I'm afraid that it would be easy to damage the finish/artwork. Edges, high spots, low spots, lots of potential problematic areas. Do you have any experience with matte clear coat?