News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

His wires are insulated, though, by air. They'll be shielded as soon as he puts the cover on.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

kato

Quote from: Plexi on September 06, 2021, 12:49:05 PM
The trick is to use an electrician plier, with 1cm tip and two ways to bend in exactly 90º

OK, you've inspired me. I just ordered some tiny tip pliers. ;)

What is the wire? Is it 22 gauge bus wire? <-- I'm guessing something like that?
If school won't teach you how to fight for what's needed
They're teaching you to go through life and get cheated.

Plexi

Quote from: Jdansti on September 08, 2021, 07:48:53 PM
His wires are insulated, though, by air. They'll be shielded as soon as he puts the cover on.

That's right! Its important a metal grounded enclosure.
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.

Plexi

Quote from: kato on September 08, 2021, 07:58:07 PM
The trick is to use an electrician plier, with 1cm tip and two ways to bend in exactly 90º

What is the wire? Is it 22 gauge bus wire? <-- I'm guessing something like that?

To be honest: I really don't know. It's was a old tv cable I was to throw, and just by curiosity, I've peeled with a cutter. I'll check closely wich kind of gauge it is: but it's nice because it's not too soft and not to hard to bend. I've tried a few gauges of random cables I've found in my backyard.
When using copper, it's important to heat well before apply solder: if it is at the correct temperature, solder apply clean and quick.

kato

Quote from: Plexi on September 08, 2021, 08:13:44 PM
To be honest: I really don't know. It's was a old tv cable I was to throw, and just by curiosity, I've peeled with a cutter. I'll check closely wich kind of gauge it is: but it's nice because it's not too soft and not to hard to bend. I've tried a few gauges of random cables I've found in my backyard.
When using copper, it's important to heat well before apply solder: if it is at the correct temperature, solder apply clean and quick.

No need to check! I like your style: find something that works.

I dug around my old wire bin and found some stiff magnet wire that might do the trick once I peel back the insulation.

I've also used wiring out of an old TV set, and an old washing machine. So I'm sure I'll find something around my personal junkyard that will work. ;) Thanks for the inspiration.
If school won't teach you how to fight for what's needed
They're teaching you to go through life and get cheated.

Phend

12 or 14 ga romex house wire. (2.0 or 1.6 mm)

It was mentioned to me that what I was attempting could result in unwanted inductance.
ie, that between two parallel wires. Any comments from those familiar with that would be interesting. I did find a calculator on the net.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Plexi

Quote from: kato on September 08, 2021, 09:19:26 PM
Quote from: Plexi on September 08, 2021, 08:13:44 PM

No need to check! I like your style: find something that works.

I dug around my old wire bin and found some stiff magnet wire that might do the trick once I peel back the insulation.

I've also used wiring out of an old TV set, and an old washing machine. So I'm sure I'll find something around my personal junkyard that will work. ;) Thanks for the inspiration.

That's the spirit! Of course.. My most nostalgic part on each build I keep, is to use Philips orange capacitors rescued from an old TV that was used almost 40 years, and all my childhood.
There's something of that in use something or part of something that works I guess

vigilante397

And now for something with zero NOS components and much less skill required :P People (bassists) had been asking me for a while if I would ever make a tube preamp with DI output, so I did. Finally.

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Slade

Hello!
I've been building some pedals again lately but I'm out of etchant, I simply can't find it...
So I had to "etch" some wood with the CNC  :icon_lol:

Cheers!
Fernando.

stallik

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

davent

Just came across this, round nose, jewellers pliers are the tool for the job.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

amptramp

Quote from: davent on September 14, 2021, 05:16:03 PM

Round-nose pliers are the standard for aircraft / spacecraft use for lead-bending and general wiring since they do not nick the wire.

Just came across this, round nose, jewellers pliers are the tool for the job.

Phend

Bending 90 degrees is ok, use care when bending 180 as electrons are apt to change direction of spin resulting in a reverse polarity.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

Plexi

Quote from: Phend on September 15, 2021, 06:18:02 PM
Bending 90 degrees is ok, use care when bending 180 as electrons are apt to change direction of spin resulting in a reverse polarity.

Is important too to bend 90º, then 90º again in the opposite direction (90º-90º=0º), or it may cause voltage reduction or increase

vigilante397

Went a little out of the ordinary on this one, originally planned it as an April Fool's joke. It's a Dr. Boogey :P Artwork was drawn by the bassist of my band, who also does contract work as a cartoonist.

and quite possibly the tidiest layout I've ever done:

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

kaycee

Bajaman's (from da otha place) Trembulator - re-take of the Demeter Tremolo, after the old Fender amp tremolo circuits.

I added a switch to put capacitors in parallel to extend the rate range and put a 10K trim to fine tune the rate control itself. I used Mictesters vero, but Harald's is much nicer: https://www.sabrotone.com/baja-trembulator-layout/

Face is a wood veneer with copper panel, I was going to stamp it, but you can't anneal copper with an induction hob  :P

vigilante397

I'm getting carried away with new stuff again :P My take on the Verellen Meatsmoke preamp.

• SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

duck_arse

are you going for the most knobs per square meter award, Nathan?
don't make me draw another line.

vigilante397

Quote from: duck_arse on September 27, 2021, 11:15:21 AM
are you going for the most knobs per square meter award, Nathan?

I mean if we're taking down names, sure put me in the running ;)
  • SUPPORTER

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Is the client a tiny-handed, ex-potus?   ;D

Nice work as always, Nathan.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...