News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaycee

Quote from: Toy Sun on December 28, 2021, 09:21:25 PM
Love it! Tell us more about the alcohol ink sides. Process?

Thanks,
John

Probably the best thing to do to check out alcohol inks and how to use them is a look on youtube for tutorials. It is a very easy and quick process, applied over bare metal.

eh la bas ma

Nice build !

I like to add metal or plastic faceplates on my builds too.
Pots and switches conviniently act like giant screws to hold them on the enclosure.
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

GGBB

New year, newly completed build. Timmy clone -> Straight Up clean boost -> Notorious OD in a 1590X with reversible order.

I may paint it one day.
  • SUPPORTER

bean

The Polytrog - EHX Polyphase. Took me a long time to get this one together. For some reason, I recently watched a 2-hour long documentary on youTube about "Gorefield" - the Cthulhu/Old Gods take on Garfield the cat. So I used that as inspiration for the artwork. Etched on .033" 2oz black FR-4.

rankot

Quote from: bean on January 06, 2022, 10:32:24 PM
The Polytrog - EHX Polyphase. Took me a long time to get this one together. For some reason, I recently watched a 2-hour long documentary on youTube about "Gorefield" - the Cthulhu/Old Gods take on Garfield the cat. So I used that as inspiration for the artwork. Etched on .033" 2oz black FR-4.

Looks insane! Could you please share the link to that documentary? I'm eager to watch!

How'd you manage to find those optocouplers? PCB is yours, or you bought it somewhere?
  • SUPPORTER
60 pedals and counting!

bean

Quote from: rankot on January 07, 2022, 02:54:46 AM
Quote from: bean on January 06, 2022, 10:32:24 PM

Looks insane! Could you please share the link to that documentary? I'm eager to watch!

How'd you manage to find those optocouplers? PCB is yours, or you bought it somewhere?

I got the optos from Scruffie (they came at the perfect time). The PCB design is mine. I actually went through something like 4 different layouts for this one. It was a labor of hate, haha.

Here is the youTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2C5R3FOWdE

amptramp

Quote from: eh la bas ma on December 30, 2021, 12:09:34 PM
Nice build !

Pots and switches conviniently act like giant screws to hold them on the enclosure.

I find that a lot of pots I have only have a few threads and cannot be used with a metal enclosure (even a stamped sheet metal one) and a piece of plastic.  I ran into that on one build where I was using a plastic sheet behind the metal that had holes for the anti-rotation tabs because I intended to use chickenhead knobs and the holes would show.  Some pots have as much as an inch of threads but a lot of them have only a quarter inch that has to accommodate the metal, the plastic and the nut.

GGBB

Quote from: amptramp on January 08, 2022, 09:04:02 AM
Quote from: eh la bas ma on December 30, 2021, 12:09:34 PM
Nice build !

I find that a lot of pots I have only have a few threads and cannot be used with a metal enclosure (even a stamped sheet metal one) and a piece of plastic.  I ran into that on one build where I was using a plastic sheet behind the metal that had holes for the anti-rotation tabs because I intended to use chickenhead knobs and the holes would show.  Some pots have as much as an inch of threads but a lot of them have only a quarter inch that has to accommodate the metal, the plastic and the nut.

Our favourite Alpha 16mm pots and many similar brands have just enough threads on the bushing for a Hammond enclosure (usually 1590N1 in my case - typically about 2mm thick), a lock washer, the thin dress washer and nut.
  • SUPPORTER

Jarno

I build modular synth modules as well, and for my own designs often use 3mm lasercut and engraved acrylic. Usually do not have an issue with 16mm and 9mm pots, but the nut is often precisely on there, switches are never an issue, the pc mount 3.5mm mini jacks (eurorack) need a little countersinking from the back (they have a little collar) to allow a nut to be fitted.

eh la bas ma

Blues Driver

A first perfboard build :

It's a bit crowded in there, I need the plastic bag or the board gets shorted by the back of the enclosure :

based on this layout :

http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2017/01/boss-blues-driver-2.html

Tone control is B25k instead of B10k, Drive is a stereo A500k instead of A250k (too light). Working with 4x 2SK117GR instead of J201.

The switch on the pics (sym / asymetrical clipping, no audible change) has been replaced by an other one, allowing to change from stock to bass decrease and mids boost. It changes R12 (1M to 75k) and R11 (from 15k to 47k). It gives a slightly brighter sound and a bit more gain with a little more mids presence.  Based on this article :

https://www.analogisnotdead.com/article25/circuit-analysis-the-boss-bd2

It took half a day and half a night to build it, 1 or 2 hours for the "artwork" (I didn't really think very hard on this one).
Sounds amazing, I strongly recommend this layout.
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

duck_arse

looks like you've invented a new labelling method, Justin.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Phend

Finally finished this after building the box last summer.
My first build using two IC's, 4558 and 13700 !
A Musitronics Micro V Replica Envelope Filter.
General Guitar Gadgets circuit, Thanks GGG.
Recommended pin voltages measure very good to spot on.
I have a question which I will post in the Building topic.
Anyway don't laugh, laser cut and etched maple box, cherry cover.
Custom battery clip.
(to be continued)

• SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

bamslam69

Finally got around to building a Rat yesterday.
Added a clipping board for a bit of fun. 1N34A, 1N914, red leds and 1n4001. Currently set at the leds.

Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

matopotato

I am building the Spectron from Aion FX which is close to a Meatball by Lovepedal.
I have boiled it down to 2 font options.
I am not too keen on the italics of the original.
The first is probably closest, but it is slightly less readable

The second is possibly more clearer to read etc, but a bit less tough of the era

I am also torn between labelling the jacks on the top surface (crammed in) vs on the top side (harder to reach/read)

Any thoughts are welcome.
"Should have breadboarded it first"

davent

Quote from: matopotato on January 22, 2022, 06:28:36 PM
I am building the Spectron from Aion FX which is close to a Meatball by Lovepedal.
I have boiled it down to 2 font options.
I am not too keen on the italics of the original.
The first is probably closest, but it is slightly less readable

The second is possibly more clearer to read etc, but a bit less tough of the era

I am also torn between labelling the jacks on the top surface (crammed in) vs on the top side (harder to reach/read)

Any thoughts are welcome.

Personally i'd pick readability of functions since there are so many to keep track of.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Phend

Hello all,
Started on this DIY Stompbox Forum on Mar 25 2020.
Many of you have seen these in past posts, but here is a recap.
Not to be confused with rediode or reresistor. Or heaven forbid a complete repot.lol

Posted the not so famous Fish Fuzz seen below.

Advanced to making some novelty effects for man cave or where ever.

And also made a few wooden boxed effects to the point I needed to stack them up.

Here is a video of these. The effect names are on the boxes.

Thanks to all for helping me by answering and making comments to the questions I asked.  Thanks to General Guitar Gadgets for schematics. Thanks Jonny.Reckless for circuit of Little Jim.
And thanks to DIY Stompboxes for the great and friendly site.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

matopotato

Quote from: Phend on January 26, 2022, 03:31:15 PM
Hello all,
Not to be confused with rediode or reresistor.

And also made a few wooden boxed effects to the point I needed to stack them up.

Thanks to all for helping me by answering and making comments to the questions I asked.  Thanks to General Guitar Gadgets for schematics. And thanks to DIY Stompboxes for the great and friendly site.
Fantastic!
My feeble "build a fuzz face from an old TV set and gf's archive cupboard" fades.... I can't even compare...
Especially the "forest", middle ones, second pic
"Should have breadboarded it first"

vigilante397

Hello all,
Not to be confused with rediode or reresistor. Or heaven forbid a complete repot.lol

Thanks to all for helping me by answering and making comments to the questions I asked.  Thanks to General Guitar Gadgets for schematics. And thanks to DIY Stompboxes for the great and friendly site.

I always love seeing your stuff, thanks for sharing.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

EBK

This is my first build this year, and it is my first time using a 1590G.  It's a JMK HooDoo Drive, based on the Voodoo Labs Overdrive.

The graphics are simple freehand with a Sharpie and a paint marker and some clear coat.

I wrapped the board in some gaffers tape after taking this pic of the guts.
  • SUPPORTER
Technical difficulties.  Please stand by.

Toy Sun

Quote from: vigilante397 on January 26, 2022, 05:42:15 PM
Hello all,

I always love seeing your stuff, thanks for sharing.
Phend, I love your concept and original take on things. Very inspiring!