News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daverdave

Quote from: ElectricDruid on March 21, 2023, 06:34:53 AM
Ok, I see, thanks. That does sound unusually poor. 3KHz isn't a lot to ask, after all!

I know right! It shouldn't be much to ask for really  ;D

Quote from: amptramp on March 21, 2023, 06:59:44 AM
Just out of curiosity, what is the control voltage swing you are using for these delays?  If the voltage is too small, each stage in the bucket brigade will take longer to transfer its charge to the next stage.  Maybe higher voltages would extend the frequency response.

It's the same as the supply rail, 9V. The clock is generated from a 4047 based circuit and buffered by a 4049. Even with the buffer there is a rise time that becomes more prominent at higher clock rates, but even at 110 kHz the BBD output seems to reach the right voltage, maybe I should take a better look at that!

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 21, 2023, 07:14:41 AM
WAIT... did you teepee SMD caps??  :icon_eek:

Yes, haha, I thought I might have gotten away with that  ;D I forgot to add gain trims for the BBDs so I have to insert resistors to reduce the gain instead.

tubelectron

Excellent stuff - as usual - congratulations to all, Guys !

T
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

momo

Whoohoo!

OK I finally built a decent breadboard.
There is nothing worst than my first breadboard, where everything was hanging by a few electrons at the most. This one inspires me....hehe
:-)

"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

Ben N

Quote from: momo on March 28, 2023, 04:55:45 AM
Whoohoo!

There is nothing worst than my first breadboard, where everything was hanging by a few electrons at the most. This one inspires me....hehe

Inspires me, too!
  • SUPPORTER

momo

Quote from: Ben N on March 28, 2023, 05:25:46 AM
Quote from: momo on March 28, 2023, 04:55:45 AM
Whoohoo!

Inspires me, too!

Breaking the ice with an AMZ Mini Booster, what a charm it is when you know your breadboard is set and with no intermittent signals..
Booster done, on to breadboarding a Valvcaster. Oh and everything will be 12v. The Booster sounds great!
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

bamslam69

Here's my latest build for a mate.
An Emanating Fist Dope Priest Clone.
Sounds divine!

My skills with the dremel are still a bit ordinary, but that's my thing.
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

bean

Here's what I've been working on. A compressor using the THAT4305. Jon Patton's Bearhug. Marshall The Guv'nor.

Phend

Just finished my last wood breadbox. Ran out of wood.
It is the V1.1 modded Chorus Dual PT2399.
Thanks CynicalMan and BlueBunny for the inspiration.
Works like a Charm aka Chorus and very nice at that.
Don't hear any noise but I haven't connected it to a huge dime ed amp.
Explored the TZF but never obtained but the same chorus effect.
Did use a rotary switch for Dry and Voices. And 78 L 05 Reg.
Laser cut wood as usual and a tangle but neat box of wire(s).
Like the way it sounds and the pots work well from 0 to 10.
Plus after getting my Orange Squeezer to work properly I ended up extending the "stack".
Only issue is the Chorus may not be in the best place in the chain w/o cable work etc.

Now that I have that Weller 1010 it is time to buy a metal box and stompswitch and board and and and and. Probably will consider a simple Axis Face with tone knob.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

garcho

I love seeing THAT chips in builds around here, bravo.
Great work with the breadboard, just like having an inspiring instrument makes you play more, a proper build space inspires you to build more.
And wow, the wooden rack, totally inspiring as well.
Ok, time to build stuff...
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Jarno

Was going to ask how you did the fingerjoints that fine, I only have a 1/2" follower bit and a router, and I regularly use it to make boxes and furniture. But I can't find finer follower bits needed to make smaller fingerjoints in thinner stock.
But yeah, laser cut is obviously also an option :D

Looks great!

Quote from: Phend on April 08, 2023, 01:29:17 PM
It is the V1.1 modded Chorus Dual PT2399.
Thanks CynicalMan and BlueBunny for the inspiration.
Works like a Charm aka Chorus and very nice at that.
Don't hear any noise but I haven't connected it to a huge dime ed amp.
Explored the TZF but never obtained but the same chorus effect.
Did use a rotary switch for Dry and Voices. And 78 L 05 Reg.
Laser cut wood as usual and a tangle but neat box of wire(s).
Like the way it sounds and the pots work well from 0 to 10.
Plus after getting my Orange Squeezer to work properly I ended up extending the "stack".
Only issue is the Chorus may not be in the best place in the chain w/o cable work etc.

Now that I have that Weller 1010 it is time to buy a metal box and stompswitch and board and and and and. Probably will consider a simple Axis Face with tone knob.

Phend

A table saw can be used. Many utubes. One here. Neat method.
  • SUPPORTER+
When the DIY gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro.

eh la bas ma

Two interesting effects :

Aion's Beta Preamp with toggles to swap between Bass and Guitar modes.

https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/beta_preamp_documentation.pdf

I'm glad I could manage to fit these two extra switches, both settings are great with a very noticeable change in the tone and the EQ controls.

There was something wrong with the Treble control. A 10k resistor between the Treble pot lug3 and the pcb pad solved it.

Guyatone PS-024 Distortion H

https://dirtboxlayouts.blogspot.com/2021/10/guyatone-ps-024-distortion-h.html

A simplified clone of DEFX Hive. I was curious about the 5-bands EQ chip.
First time using a pre-painted enclosure. I think i like it...but it's a bit too simple. I added a piece of veroboard to make it a bit more suited to my tastes.

Here is a demo, I hope you'll be able to hear the EQ's action :

https://soundcloud.com/ehlabas-ma-chaussure/ps-024

At 2:15' I tried the circuit with different transistors and ICs, but I am not sure there's a real difference. I've still added the sound clip in the demo, just to hear how little is the variation (RC4558P & BC550C vs. MC1458 & 2N3904).

Never tried an HM-2 before,  but I don't think the PS-24 is very close to the HM-2's sounds. I'd say there is a more traditional "DOD 250" character in the PS-24. It's not as metal-oriented as the HM-2.

The EQ sounds like it is only boosting some frequencies. At first I thought the flat position was 12', but when all EQ controls are fully CCW, it sounds good, like flat distortion. Only downside is that we can't cut some frequencies from the flat distorted sound, EQ controls has to be set somewhere CW, to be able to dial down one of them, and cut some frequencies from the signal.
That's why I don't think it's as effective as a GE-7, which can increase or decrease the volume of the frequencies, even when starting from flat settings.

As comparison, I'd say it feels like a GE-7 with sliders that can only go up...

Edit : If I understand correctly the datasheet, it looks like M5226P is able to cut frequencies, +10db or -10db. I guess it means the flat EQ setting is 12'.
https://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/140262/MITSUBISHI/M5226P/1809/3/M5226P.html
"One Cannot derogate, by particular conventions, from the Laws which relate to public Order and good Morals." Article 6 of the Civil Code.
"We must not confuse what we are and what society has made of us." Theodor W. Adorno.

ThePracticalPeasant

Quote from: Phend on April 08, 2023, 01:29:17 PM
Nice. I like the box joints.
Good call on that WE1010; I recently picked up the same iron and am loving it.

Quote from: Phend on April 18, 2023, 08:01:01 AM
A table saw can be used. Many utubes. <snip>
Can confirm this method works exceptionally well. I have sleds set up for various finger thicknesses matching specific setups with my dado set. The only downside is the care required to ensure the guide block in the sled is in absolutely exactly the right position. Because the notches are cut relative to the previous, if you're out by a few thousandths the error stacks up after a time and the parts won't fit. Matthias Wandel (YouTube) built a setup where a series of gears can be cranked to advance a screw used to incrementally position the part far more precisely. It's a brilliant design that I personally haven't bothered with as my most commonly used [1/4"] sled is accurate to about 36 fingers.

If you don't have a dado blade of some sort, two blades with matching tooth counts can typically be stacked together (with the carbide teeth offset so the plates stack tight) for a slightly wider slot than either blade can otherwise do. If you're welling to spend a few bucks, Freud makes a box-joint blade set with two blades that can be either faced together or apart for two different kerf widths.

Edit: Adding second comment

hair force one

A voice changer kit moded into a guitar fx, homemade enclosure, graphicaly inspired by the DBA Robot.

garcho

^ ah, ye olde Holtek 8950, I love seeing people use those, bravo! You can program an ATtiny85 or CMOS yourself something to control the electronic function switches. Make an oscillator that cycles through the pitch steps or functions, good fun.

• SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

box

MrStab

Bespoke cake a customer requested. Quite yummy, but may necessitate a visit to the dentist.

Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

FiveseveN

Nice! Why did you blur out "Sine Effect" and "MegaPara"? ???
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

MrStab

Quote from: FiveseveN on May 07, 2023, 02:43:58 AM
Nice! Why did you blur out "Sine Effect" and "MegaPara"? ???

Damnit! I just figure it's not kosher to advertise in any way on a forum for chums.
Recovered guitar player.
Electronics manufacturer.

garcho

^ There's a big, big difference between being a one-man-band and being a company advertising their mass-fab'ed pedals on this forum. Show off at will, it's inspiring others to build cool stuff, don't over think it. Besides, the mark and make can be a big part of the graphic design. I dig the channel strip idea, nice work!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"