SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dantuts

BSIAB 2  / Booster

Dave_B

For the Dark T-shirt Transfer folks, are you cutting the transfer oversized, then trimming it after you iron?  I've got a 1/16" gap around the artwork that's making me irritable. 

Also, has anyone tried printing on photo paper and gluing it to the box?  I haven't tried it, but it looks like it might give better results if you can successfully clearcoat it.
Help build our Wiki!

B Tremblay

Quote from: bellyflop on March 09, 2006, 10:33:20 AM
Also, has anyone tried printing on photo paper and gluing it to the box?

Yes, I've been using that method and have been happy with the results.  I'm using an old pack Photo Quality Glossy Film from Epson, but a friend has reported success with the Staples brand of inkjet photo paper.  Then I use spray adhesive to apply the label and finish it with a few light coats of clear.

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

dantuts

you can also use decals..

rockgardenlove

Sorry its so boring.

Also Wik

LyleCaldwell

I scan the face of the enclosure at 300dpi, then print a 1px wide margin that's about 1mm from the edge (where the rounding of the edge begins, not the side edges, if that makes sense - where the box stops being flat).  Then I use an exacto to cut just within the printed margin before ironing.  Works great.

Quote from: bellyflop on March 09, 2006, 10:33:20 AM
For the Dark T-shirt Transfer folks, are you cutting the transfer oversized, then trimming it after you iron?  I've got a 1/16" gap around the artwork that's making me irritable. 

Also, has anyone tried printing on photo paper and gluing it to the box?  I haven't tried it, but it looks like it might give better results if you can successfully clearcoat it.
What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

Dave_B

Good idea on the scanning.  I measured it, but it's hard to get the 'rollover' point that way.  My scanner miraculously came to life yesterday, so that's suddenly an option.

dantuts, are you talking about water slide decals?  I tried that method with a full-face decal and butchered it nicely.

I think I'll try B Tremblay's glossy film method next, but I've got to say, this trial-and-error stuff can start to add up.  Maybe I should try getting competent at one of the methods you all seem to be doing so well with.   ;D
Help build our Wiki!

rockgardenlove

smnm

I like the embossing tape aesthetic:

Simon

PeterJ

Just curious - how is the color on your labels holding up over time? Does one method (ink jet, color laser, iron-on, decal, etc.) seem to fade or retain color more than others?

Thanks -- I'm impressed by all of these pedals. It's great to see everyone's imagination at work.
Peter
Duct tape and particle board!

Also Wik

Hey Smnm, did you make those with those little old clicky label-maker things? I havn't had one of those in years... wonder where i can find one..

Stompin Tom

As many others have said, these pedals look great! all mine end up looking like rockgardenlove's rangemaster, but with knobs!

Smnm... looks good, but don't you kick the pots and switches all the time? no matter where I put mine, I always end up changing the settings half way through a song. Guess I'm clumsy.

smnm

a clicky tape label maker - YEAH. In the UK they were mostly called Dymo machines. I used to use them at work, I had a small one that found it's way into my bag one day after we switched to the clear tape type, and bought a bigger one on ebay where you can change case and add punctuation. They are fairly obsolete but they're still around. Lots of coloured tapes still around.

Re layout etc - the green one (a Parallel Universe) was a box I pre-drilled for an earlier over-ambitious (for the time) ring mod project that I gave up on, so I was restricted to the layout I already had. The switches go side to side at least. The Uglyface? I just thought of a nicer looking arrangement rather than considering any practicaliites, but might regret it. I don't really use them onstage, although it'll be hard to keep the UF at home - I usually stick to a (original) Marshall Supa Fuzz and a rangemaster clone, but like to use the wackier stuff for recording /just messing around.

S

Sam

Quote from: smnm on March 10, 2006, 07:29:46 AM
I like the embossing tape aesthetic:

Simon

Lovely! I suspect you took these photos with an iMac, true?
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

Dave_B

Quote from: Also Wik on March 10, 2006, 09:26:51 AM
Hey Smnm, did you make those with those little old clicky label-maker things? I havn't had one of those in years... wonder where i can find one..
I found mine at an office supply store like Office Max.  For example.
Help build our Wiki!

smnm

Lovely! I suspect you took this photos with an iMac, true?
[/quote]

guilty as charged

S

syndromet

My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

Sam

Quote from: smnm on March 10, 2006, 05:39:55 PM

Lovely! I suspect you took this photos with an iMac, true?

guilty as charged

S
[/quote]

He he. I've been thinking of utilizing my iSight to show of some pedals but I felt rather silly holding up pedals to a screen mounted camera. You are the braver. I'm interested in that "FUZ!" thing. Are you willing to share details in the inner workings of it?

Cheers!
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

MartyB

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Re: Nurse Quacky boxed up (pictures!)
« Reply #1 on: Today at 10:03:01 PM »
   Reply with quote Modify message
Left to right :

1) my 2nd Foxx Tone Machine. Mine sound better with germaniums!  2) homemade (working with sheet metal is a PITA) white shell for my EA trem - great effect!  3)  English Channel  from ROG using Gringo's layout - no switch bc I'll just use it for recording direct.  4) yellow boxed dynacomp - no labels yet.   5) Splitter/blender with snazzy decal,  6)  Rogue wah refitted with John Hollis' Crash Sync - rack-pinion replaced with diy cam rotation  7)  Maestro-fz1a clone - also diy metal box

Thanks to all for the great  projects here and at Runoff Groove!