News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alteredsounds

Quote from: nelson on May 03, 2006, 04:21:06 AM
He called the amp jew...I dont see whats offensive about it.....if he called it evangelical....would anyone be offended? How about gishnu? What if he put an inverted cross tubeholder on it? Or called it Judas?

I dont see any negative connotations simply calling the amp jew.....its not as if he is going to blow it up....or is making any joke about the old jewish stereotype of penny pinching....

::)

I think its rather ridiculous.....

Yep totally agree, some people should chill a bit....... anyway back to my Jesus Echo...........

JimRayden

Quote from: nelson on May 03, 2006, 04:21:06 AM
He called the amp jew...I dont see whats offensive about it.....if he called it evangelical....would anyone be offended? How about gishnu? What if he put an inverted cross tubeholder on it? Or called it Judas?

I dont see any negative connotations simply calling the amp jew.....its not as if he is going to blow it up....or is making any joke about the old jewish stereotype of penny pinching....

::)

I think its rather ridiculous.....

You wouldn't believe how touchy some religions are (not referring to any particular). What might seem like nothing remarkable to us, makes others run around in cities blowing themselves up. We've all seen that and we try to avoid it whereever possible.

----------
Jimbo

bwanasonic

Quote from: JimRayden on May 03, 2006, 07:44:01 AM
You wouldn't believe how touchy some religions are

Genocide and centuries of persecution can do that to you... :icon_idea:

Kerry M

hairyandy

Here's some more pics to get back on a less heavy topic...

Here's a Rangemaster clone in a Sparkle Red powdercoat:

Here's a couple shots of the Brit Boost and a dual Rangemaster/Mosfet Boost in Transparent Black powdercoat:

...and here's some gut shots of the two of them:

Hope you all dig 'em...
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Ben N

Andy, I like your quasi-point-to-pointiness.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

syndromet

My latest:

This was actually the second circuit I built, but I haven't boxed it up until now. It's a Bazz Fuss (love that little thing!
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

B Tremblay

I'm now producing some pedals for sale at the local guitar shop.  I finished this one two days ago.

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Danny G

hairyandy

That looks great B!  I like the name "Sonic Salvo".  What is it?
Andy Harrison

B Tremblay

Quote from: hairyandy on May 04, 2006, 12:11:32 PM
That looks great B!  I like the name "Sonic Salvo".  What is it?

Thanks!  It's a booster/overdrive.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Mark Hammer

Quote from: chuckschuldiner on May 01, 2006, 10:14:41 PM
:icon_cry:

I am sorry.. about that words.....
To apologize

I didn't thought before that word was very important.

Sorry........ :icon_cry:
No big harm done.  I'm one of those people who ought to be offended, and I completely understand the mistake.

The list of commercial products that naively used a word in the name which was harmless in one language and offensive in another is VERY, very long.  :icon_lol:  A radio show here dedicated to analysis and history of advertising had an entire episode devoted to advertisements that worked well in one language or culture and failed in another one.

Apparently, a brand of cooked/baked beans was launched in the province of Quebec, here in Canada, whose name was inoffensive in English, but in French was a slang expression for large breasts.  You can imagine that "big breast" brand beans disappeared off the store shelves quickly!

One model of Rolls-Royce car had to have its name changed at the last minute because the company found out that a German word very similar-sounding to the word in English meant "garbage".  Very hard to persuade a German millionaire to drive around in a car that says "garbage" on the front!

syndromet

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 04, 2006, 01:46:59 PM
Quote from: chuckschuldiner on May 01, 2006, 10:14:41 PM
:icon_cry:

I am sorry.. about that words.....
To apologize

I didn't thought before that word was very important.

Sorry........ :icon_cry:
No big harm done.  I'm one of those people who ought to be offended, and I completely understand the mistake.

The list of commercial products that naively used a word in the name which was harmless in one language and offensive in another is VERY, very long.  :icon_lol:  A radio show here dedicated to analysis and history of advertising had an entire episode devoted to advertisements that worked well in one language or culture and failed in another one.

Apparently, a brand of cooked/baked beans was launched in the province of Quebec, here in Canada, whose name was inoffensive in English, but in French was a slang expression for large breasts.  You can imagine that "big breast" brand beans disappeared off the store shelves quickly!

One model of Rolls-Royce car had to have its name changed at the last minute because the company found out that a German word very similar-sounding to the word in English meant "garbage".  Very hard to persuade a German millionaire to drive around in a car that says "garbage" on the front!
When Hondo released their Jazz-car here in Norway, they were supposed to name it Hondo Fitta. In Norwegian Fitta means "C*nt", and their slogan for the car was "Small on the outside but large on the inside". I think they ended up naming the car Jazz in Norway too. ;D

scaesic

Quote from: kusi on August 24, 2005, 03:16:20 AM
hi

scrabler, tremulus lune, Phase 90°

HMP, Obsidian, BMP, GT-2

DS-1, FF, SD-1, Thunderchief, TS-808, DS+

Modded Cry-Baby

greetings, kusi
you'd need a serious amount of head room for all those gain pedals!

johngreene

Completely OT but sorta similar to names sounding/meaning different things in different languages......

About 15 years ago the company I was with bought some configurable boards to use in a product. I don't even remember what they were for, but some kind of serial controller sounds familiar. Anyway, the country of origin was in the far east and the dictionary they used to translate the manual must have been one that included slang terms. This is because in the section where it describes how to setup the configuration switches it tells you how to take the cover off the box. Everywhere is was supposed to say 'screw' it said 'f*ck'. i.e. remove all the f*cks from the bottom of the case and remove lid. It was a fun read.

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

Roobin

Quote from: johngreene on May 04, 2006, 03:19:55 PM
Completely OT but sorta similar to names sounding/meaning different things in different languages......

About 15 years ago the company I was with bought some configurable boards to use in a product. I don't even remember what they were for, but some kind of serial controller sounds familiar. Anyway, the country of origin was in the far east and the dictionary they used to translate the manual must have been one that included slang terms. This is because in the section where it describes how to setup the configuration switches it tells you how to take the cover off the box. Everywhere is was supposed to say 'screw' it said 'f*ck'. i.e. remove all the f*cks from the bottom of the case and remove lid. It was a fun read.

--john

:D :D :D LOL

To Kusi: The DS-1, is that the Tonepad one? How does it compare to a normal DS-1? BTW love your collection

Mark Hammer

I have a bible that was printed in the mid 1770's.  The typographic style of the time used a character for the letter 's' that looked exactly like the letter 'f'.  Let me tell you, for the 20th-century mind, you don't have to stumble across too many babies "sucking at their mother's breast" for it to turn into one dirty little book.  All giggedy-giggedy Grade 8 naughtiness aside, those stylized characters make it awful hard to search for passages.  Do you have any idea how many worsds in the English language have an s or f in them somewhere?  :icon_eek:

Okay, back to how easy and convenient it is for a "regular guy" to turn out a really nice-looking pedal in the comfort of his own home/apartment....already in progress.

markm

You guys are making me want to try that T-Shirt transfer method!
Those look fantastic!!

hairyandy

Quote from: markm on May 04, 2006, 06:11:25 PM
Those look fantastic!!

MarkM,

The ones that I've done are printed on laminated vinyl stickers that are done for me by a company here in Columbus, Ohio.  I told them that others might want to do this as well and they're totally into helping.  I can hook you up with them if you want...
Andy Harrison

syndromet

Quote from: markm on May 04, 2006, 06:11:25 PM
Those look fantastic!!
Not that mine look fantastic in any way, but I use regular printpaper, a laser colour printer, spray-on glue and clear. I'm gonna try using photopaper and ink on my next build, as I finaly got my own printer.

bwanasonic

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 04, 2006, 01:46:59 PM
Very hard to persuade a German millionaire to drive around in a car that says "garbage" on the front!

Probably not a likely candidate for a Jew Amp either.

<ducks and runs>
Kerry M