Quote from: JimRayden on May 22, 2006, 03:49:38 PM
Quote from: MartyMart on May 22, 2006, 03:48:41 PM
Very Tiny ROG Tube Reamer !!

http://www.pbase.com/martymart/image/33492582

http://www.pbase.com/martymart/image/33492596

4.5cm/4.5cm/2.5cm

Marty.

:icon_eek:

Teach me how you did that great hammered finish. I keep seeing this on really old soviet metal objects, and it's the definite "vintage finish" for me.

------------
Jimbo

Looks like "Hammertone" paint to me.
Available at most Hardware stores.
;)

crowsmith8

stumper1 - I was thinking about building that IC buffer with extra parts I have laying around, and now you've definately convinced be to do so.  But I was wondering if you or anyone knew if I could use a TL072 op amp instead of the TL071 because I don't want to have to pay for shipping on just one op amp, and haven't decided what my next big project is going to be, so I'm not ready to put in an order, but want to build something.  If I can use the TL072 what kind of difference would this make?

newbie builder

Thanks stumper! I'll have to build one. Is there any reason to hook it up with bypass? Also on the parts list it says "Resistors: 1- 4k7 3- 2m2"
What does the number after the k or m mean?

P.S.
+1 to that paint looking like hammertone.
//

markm

Just completed my Mosfet Boost etch project,
Here are the results;

I love the way this thing sounds!!
Thank you Jack Orman!
Check out my photoessay in the layouts gallery.

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Acid-Graphics

$uperpuma

that looks great, man.  I feel like we all watched this little guy grow up!
-Uncle Nate
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

stumper1

Crow - I believe a TL072 is a dual version of a TL071.  It should work fine in the circuit but the pin-out may be/probably is different.  Check the data sheet and adjust the layout as needed.

Newbie - The only reason I could think to use a bypass is if you have any effects that don't like to see a buffered signal.  For me this was/is not an issue.  I was also trying to make it as small as possible as I have run out of room on my pedal board.

4k7 means 4.7k  2m2 means 2.2m
Deric®

newbie builder

Thanks  ;) Just went onto Small Bear and I'm about to order the parts.
//

stumper1

Markm-

Your pedals look AWESOME!  I'm going to have to give that a shot soon.  Do you clear coat them?  What do you use?  How does it hold up?

Deric
Deric®

MartyMart

Quote from: slacker on May 22, 2006, 04:49:09 PM
That box looks like the hammond style ones that Maplin sell, they come in that hammered finish.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=1751&doy=22m5

WE HAVE A WINNER !!

Yup, Maplin (UK) supply these BimBox enclosures in various sizes, pre-sprayed hammerite finnish ... but they look
great ( Pete Cornish style )  and are not expensive ( 1590B size are £5.99 )
Much better finish than I can get and they don't "chip"   :icon_redface:

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

markm

Quote from: stumper1 on May 23, 2006, 01:01:36 AM
Markm-

Your pedals look AWESOME!  I'm going to have to give that a shot soon.  Do you clear coat them?  What do you use?  How does it hold up?

Deric

Hey, thanks!
You should give it a try, just be sure you REALLY like the circuit befor you etch it's name into the top ;)
No clear coat, I polish them though which seems to keep oxidation down. They will oxidize a bit but, I personally like that look.
I do have some that are shot with clear as well and it's been holding up so far.
Etching doesn't scrape off like a decal does :icon_lol:

MarkM

stumper1

Next box will be etched for sure.

For now - here's the PT-80 I finished up tonight....

Deric®

darkseid

markm your project has inspired me to do some future etching....... great job, looks awesome.
I have to ask, how deep is your etching and is it possible for the Ferric Chloride to etch all the way through the alluminum.

If possible etching through, installing some colored Acrylic material underneath the alluminum enclosure with some bright leds to light it up would look sweet........  :icon_cool:

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: darkseid on May 24, 2006, 02:45:25 PM
markm your project has inspired me to do some future etching....... great job, looks awesome.
I have to ask, how deep is your etching and is it possible for the Ferric Chloride to etch all the way through the alluminum.

If possible etching through, installing some colored Acrylic material underneath the alluminum enclosure with some bright leds to light it up would look sweet........  :icon_cool:

I think it would be pretty hard to go all the way through with ferric.  I havent tried it, but I can envision issues with letters like: O P A R Q  if you eat all the way through, the middle would fall out!

I'm sure you could do some other fun stuff though.
Try a little tenderness.

markm

Quote from: darkseid on May 24, 2006, 02:45:25 PM

I think it would be very difficult to go through an aluminum enclosure with ferric cholride.
The thought of doing so is actually frightening to me :icon_eek:
You should give it a try.
Just follow the photo essay in the layout section.
I should tell you as well that it is possible to stop the process at any time just by rinsing thouroughly with cold water.
BTW, thanks for the kind words and feel free to ask any questions.
Etching enclosures is alot of fun, the results and the look aren't everyone's favorite but,
I am a Country Guitar player and I prefer the "rustic" look the plain etched aluminum has.
Besides, you don't have to wait DAYS for the paint to dry!!

$uperpuma

I know this one is passé around here, BUT THIS one is special because IIIIII modded it. $47 total including tax on the pedal. switchable between LED-IN914 VS IN914 and IN34 VS IN914...I'm still playing with them a little but it sounds pretty good... did the S.E.M. listed in Brian "wampcat" Wamplers book. Sorry to bore people with another DS-1. I have a couple things coming up that are less yawnable.
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

markm

Before etching there were Paint and waterslide decals;

Notice her chest......kind of a play on words "maxi-boost"!! :icon_lol:
The top is white with a bright silver fogged in from the bottom up.
I've always thought pin-up girls were cool 8)

StephenGiles

Mmmm - would make a cow proud!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Pushtone

Call it a phase... After I built a few boosts I quickly realized that the results can be unpredictable with different pickups, and amps. So to find the magic combination of PUP, Boost and Amp I put five boosters in one box with a bypass scheme.

It satisfied my booster curiosity and now I can move on to other types of effects. I've tested this with a bunch of amps including a Vox AC30, JMC800, Doug H's FireFly, JC120, Valve Junior Head, Vox AD30VT and Fender Twin. The Twin is the only amp that can not be improved upon by adding a boost, all the others took on new characters that pleased the owners of the amp.

The art work is from a "League of Justice" fan site and I did get permission to use it. The artist is a teenage girl who used the Brat dolls as a model. The art work is applied with window decal and since the box is destined to become something else in the future it is not clear coated so the decal can be removed. I used the Windex trick with great success before the holes were drilled, but after the holes, the decal captured a lot of bubble. IMO waterslide beats window decal for best look, both are a PITA to apply.

I used Euro terminal strip to distribute power and ground. The first FS is for "Stage One" the second FS for "Stage Two" to give it a little more  flexibility. Each boost has it's own toggle bypass. All PCB are just loose so I can move them around to experiment with placement when using Stage One to overdrive Stage Two.

The Flash: Fetzer Valve
Fire: AMZ Mini-booster
Superman: Strat-o-blaster
Wonder Woman: Brian May Treble Booster
Green Lantern: Range Master

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Roobin

Pushtone: Amazing! The inside is so neat, and the shell is top notch! :o