News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DryRoasted

thanks guys  ;D I got the enclosure from www.rapid.co.uk.  Their the cheapest in the UK that I've found so far.
Sticking a tube into a tube screamer to get good sound is about like rubbing yourself all over the weight stacks at the gym to get stronger - R.G.

jimmy54

Here's Mark Hammers "The Crank" and Dragonflys sparkle boost in the one enclosure.  These are great effects (in my top 5 out of about 50 builds), so thanks to you guys for putting them out there.

syndromet

I like the boobs!  :D
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

markm

Quote from: syndromet on July 02, 2006, 07:20:28 PM
I like the boobs!  :D

I don't think Mark H. or Drangonfly are BOOBS................................... :icon_lol:

Nice job!

Hiwatt25

I posted this picture elsewhere but figured I'd add it to the Lexicon this post has become.  My first project ever.  A simple A/B box I named Jethro. Click the image to see it big.

bancika

Looks great, how did you apply graphics?
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

gmr1

Great thread with some amazing work!

Just started building again after a year off (life, and a variety of other things just got in the way...)

Some pics of older builds. Hope to have some new work to show off in the next few weeks:

LyleCaldwell

Here's Serial Number 001 of my Triad pedal:

What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

Dragonfly

here are a few fuzzes, boosters, etc i've thrown together for people....these are the only pics i can find right now....

AC

comfortably_numb

Hey Lyle, what's in that TRIAD?  It looks really nice.  How'd you wire it up?  Do you have schematic or a diagram?

JisforJustin

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 03, 2006, 02:27:58 AM
here are a few fuzzes, boosters, etc i've thrown together for people....these are the only pics i can find right now....

AC

Did you make these graphics yourself? What did you use to transfer the graphics to the box?

Looks awesome!

Justin

LyleCaldwell

Quote from: comfortably_numb on July 03, 2006, 03:38:53 PM
Hey Lyle, what's in that TRIAD?  It looks really nice.  How'd you wire it up?  Do you have schematic or a diagram?

Inside the Triad is... a Triad.  It's my own design, and as I have a huge chunk of change invested in it, I will not be sharing the schematic, but I would be glad to discuss some of the issues I encountered (in another thread).  For more on what it does and how it sounds, check out psionicaudio.com.  In a nutshell, it's a preamp with a separate loop (series/parallel) and a separate boost feature (with tone control) and it can power up to 900ma worth of connected 9.6vdc pedals.

Here's a gut shot showing the board about halfway populated:

psionicaudio.com

Alex C

Lyle, you win big time.  That Triad is amazing, even more so with the graphics on the completed enclosure.  I'm in awe.

To make the pedals you (ustedes) have posted look even better, I'll throw in some shots of mine.

I'm home from school and able to use my dad's digital camera, so I can join in the fun that I missed in the earlier picture posting threads.
I love guts shots, so I've included them where it's not too embarrassing.  You'll notice that many of my boards are "unique," as I am in the habit of "making" my own components by combining caps and resistors in wacky series and parallel combinations rather than purchasing new parts.  The urge to build strikes me every so often, and once I get geared up, I want to build now, not wait a week for parts.  So you'll see some interesting "protrusions" from my boards.

Apologies in advance for the blurriness on some, I'm getting used to the camera settings.
EDIT: It would probably be best to scroll to the end of this post and move the slider a bit to the right, so more of each picture will be visible.  Sorry they're so big; I may resize them in the future.

First, the work area:

My Tychobrahe Octavia clone (GGG schem).  I was really excited about the "1UP" mushroom, and now I'm hoping I haven't seen it somewhere already.  On this same build I had a flash of inspiration and decided to put the LED in the top hole of the "A" in "octave," then rembered that I have seen this done on at least one ZVex pedal.  Sorry if this was someone else's idea.  1UP:

Front:

Guts:

This one is a BSIAB II and a Fetzer Valve in one enclosure.  I really like the paint on this one, it's a thick Rustoleum brush-on hammered black.  It's designed to paint over rusted parts, so it's thick and very durable.  I don't have a name for it yet, I just paint-penned the control labels:

Side shot:

Guts:

The Pulsar in a Raco box.  No labelling or name for it yet:

Side view:

Here's an LPB2 boost in a Raco, with the standard Sharpie labelling and a fittingly-DIY name:

Side view:

Guts- the board is mounted directly to the pot, and is accompanied by some sloppy wiring:

Here's my Smash Drive in a 1590BB, one of my first builds (as you can tell from the painting attempt).  I tacked on a low-pass filter on the end to lower the output level and tame the highs, as I didn't use a tone stack, and the result is a smooth overdrive with little tonal coloration, like a more "transparent" (yeah, I know...) Tube Screamer (maybe like a Blue Magic?): 

Next up is the NeoVibe in a surplus enclosure I got for $1.00.  It's a serial port switcher for selecting between printers.  I took out the big rotary switch that was on the front, and disconnected but left in the port connectors at the back so I wouldn't have holes.  It's roomy and sturdy, and looks good, I think.  No labelling or name yet, although there's plenty of space that needs to be filled:

Guts- note the classy touch that the Scotch tape adds:

Those are all the pedal pictures for now.  Here's the AX84 P1 I built in an old tube radio chassis:

Power on- I just mounted the 6 volt lamp inside the speaker cloth, so it's visible from the outside without drilling or complicated mounting:

Back:

Here are the materials for my Phase 45 project (thanks for the Vero layout, Torchy).  Hopefully I'll have more pictures soon.

And here's me playing in my backyard last year:

Serge

The TRIAD looks really amazing.  Really pro work.  Where did you get that enclosure?

LyleCaldwell

Quote from: Serge on July 04, 2006, 02:17:06 AM
The TRIAD looks really amazing.  Really pro work.  Where did you get that enclosure?

Thanks, I had them made for me at http://metalenc.com/.  They were wonderful to work with, with great service and very reasonable prices.  The enclosures are 16 guage cold-rolled steel, with stainless steel inserts for the stainless steel screws, a flushset ground screw (inside the enclosure), very tough powdercoating and very tough silkscreening.  Per enclosure, a good bit less than unpainted Hammond 1590DDs, though the setup costs make small runs more expensive.  I had 100 enclosures made.

psionicaudio.com

markm

Here's one I've been working on & off on for the past couple of weeks.
It's the Prof. Tweed circuit tweaked a tad and renamed.......
My thoughts are that it's the front of a Princeton Amp from 1955-1960 so I chose to call it the "Princeton Fifty-Six".
Besides, 1956 was a very historic year and the fifty six had a nice "ring" to it, Plus, it sounds very "automotive" huh?
Check it out......

burnt fingers

Markm,

I think you have a future in pedals.  you have some of the coolest boxes ever.  I don't have the kind of patience to finish a box like that. By the time I'm done with the circuit, I just want it in a box and on my board.  I usually just let my 4 year old paint the box and then clear coat it. 

Good work.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

markm

Thanks my friend.
I really love doing these things, it is truly a fun hobby.....when things go right   :icon_rolleyes:

jimbob

Markm- that was awsome! What do you do to get such great graphics? Very classy and professional looking.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bancika

Looks great Mark, as usual  :icon_cool:
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here