SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: Kearns892 on February 08, 2009, 09:26:09 PM
Quote from: Andi on February 08, 2009, 05:51:27 PM

What I've been doing a lot lately though is drilling the holes for the locator tabs for pots and switches. I'd never felt happy about snapping them off - it kept nagging at me that they're there for a reason. I really like having them now - makes tightening the pots so easy, no rotation.

I agree, but how did you go about drilling such small holes and making them rectangular?

You just need a round hole for the tab. Better i think,  is to snap the tab off and use a inner toothed washer between the pot body and the enclosure. That will stop the pot from turning when you tighten it down, ensure the pot body is well grounded and anything that saves drilling another hole, well partial hole anyways, can only be a good thing.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Andi

Quote from: Barcode80 on February 08, 2009, 07:07:20 PM
any chance of sharing? i've been looking for a good way to customize drilling templates...

The eMachineshop files? I can pop 'em in my webspace this evening if you like. Really, though, you need to make them up for the components that you use.

Quote from: Kearns892 on February 08, 2009, 09:26:09 PM
I agree, but how did you go about drilling such small holes and making them rectangular?

I don't make them rectangular. 3mm round for the pot tabs, 2.5mm round for the toggle switches. The knobs generally hide the former (on dark enclosures I blacken the tops of the tabs with a permanent marker to make them less visible) and the tabbed washer the latter.

I've never found toothed washers as effective - better than nothing, certainly, but the tabs are more precise. I might get some toothed washers for jack sockets though - they're hard to prevent from spinning.

yeeshkul

for the Superfuzz guy: excellent job man! simple graphics, i love it  ;)

danielzink

svstee

What resistors are you using?

kurtlives

Look to be Dale or Vishay.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

cloudscapes

Quote from: John Lyons on February 08, 2009, 01:00:37 AM

Etienne
As usuall...very nice!
Great color, knob placement and depth.
I like LEDs close to flush with the box.
The below the surface mounting is even better  :icon_biggrin:

john

thanks John and everyone :)
I gain quite a lot of knowledge and inspiration from here, especially this thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

yeeshkul

I indulged myself in this sort of Gilmour triple effect :). It's got an internal power source.

snoof

DougH

Man, that looks awesome! Looks like an old Maestro box. :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

DavidRavenMoon

Quote from: yeeshkul on February 10, 2009, 11:01:09 AM
I indulged myself in this sort of Gilmour triple effect :). It's got an internal power source.

That's cool.  You forgot one of his trademarks though... delay.
SGD Lutherie
Hand wound pickups, and electronics.
www.sgd-lutherie.com
www.myspace.com/davidschwab

Ben N

Quote from: DavidRavenMoon on February 10, 2009, 12:08:07 PM

Sheesh, this is a tough crowd.  :D
I dare say that in most of the era of the FF and Univibe (roughly Meddle-DSOM?), most of the delays would have been courtesy of a Binson Echorec--which would pose all kinds of challenges to be incorporated into an enclosure like that, even if you could find/repair/DIY one--plus, they never went on the floor. Neither do his modern-era DDLs. (Although I suppose something like a PT-80 with modulation or Echo Base could be squeezed in somehow for a DMM-like substitution.)
BTW, Yeeshkul, what boost did you incorporate? I don't recall any actual treble boosters in the Gilmour fx chain, although I'm sure he used other boosters and EQs that way.
  • SUPPORTER

frequencycentral

So cool!  8) One of the best I've seen.  :o
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Gila_Crisis

my last build:
Tech21 Sansamp Classic

finally i finished it following my project and it sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i only have a little problem with DIP switch 7 but the rest is sounding awesome and great!!!
more infos about the project and my layout here:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=36179.60

cardinale

here's my first (and 2nd) build.. SpaceMaker (EchoBase) and FunQ (Nurse Quacky)
i ordered the casing from a local workshop.. not really smooth but sturdy enough  :icon_redface:

Renegadrian

It's great that we have some great works from those new members...Welcome!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

slacker

Quote from: cardinale on February 10, 2009, 02:35:57 PM
i ordered the casing from a local workshop.. not really smooth but sturdy enough  :icon_redface:

Wow, that's pretty impressive for a first and second build, they look way better than any of mine.

Renegadrian

Yeh, were our first builds so clean?! Guess not (at least mine... :icon_redface:)
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

yeeshkul

Thank you guys  :icon_redface:
Quote from: Ben N on February 10, 2009, 12:42:31 PM
Quote from: DavidRavenMoon on February 10, 2009, 12:08:07 PM

Sheesh, this is a tough crowd.  :D
I dare say that in most of the era of the FF and Univibe (roughly Meddle-DSOM?), most of the delays would have been courtesy of a Binson Echorec--which would pose all kinds of challenges to be incorporated into an enclosure like that, even if you could find/repair/DIY one--plus, they never went on the floor. Neither do his modern-era DDLs. (Although I suppose something like a PT-80 with modulation or Echo Base could be squeezed in somehow for a DMM-like substitution.)
BTW, Yeeshkul, what boost did you incorporate? I don't recall any actual treble boosters in the Gilmour fx chain, although I'm sure he used other boosters and EQs that way.

Gilmour apparently has never used any kind of treble booster (my is a Rangemaster clone) but there is evidence that he used a colorsound overdriver (i suppose that this was used for clean boost - that is what i can say from the 1973 tour bootlegs) + that thing has some nice tone controls. His "mysterious" Orange Treble Booster, was most probably this unit, orange in colour as we know it :).

Valoosj

Quote from: cardinale on February 10, 2009, 02:35:57 PM

Is that echo base etched?
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!