News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

earthtonesaudio

Flashing LED is gonna give you headaches unless you do some or all of the following (in increasing degrees of complexity):

-Extreme power supply filtering so the LED oscillator can't bleed into the audio portion, perhaps even separate regulators for both sections.
-Isolating the control signal (you probably used one section of a 3PDT to switch the LED, right?) from the audio as much as possible.  For example, use that pole of the switch to switch a transistor's input on/off, and the transistor in turn activates the LED.  This physically moves the LED currents away from the switch (and hence the audio signals).
-Build a little mini-enclosure around the LED and it's associated control/power circuitry, within the main enclosure.  Connect this enclosure to earth ground.

knealebrown

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on March 16, 2010, 09:37:14 PM
Flashing LED is gonna give you headaches unless you do some or all of the following (in increasing degrees of complexity):

-Extreme power supply filtering so the LED oscillator can't bleed into the audio portion, perhaps even separate regulators for both sections.
-Isolating the control signal (you probably used one section of a 3PDT to switch the LED, right?) from the audio as much as possible.  For example, use that pole of the switch to switch a transistor's input on/off, and the transistor in turn activates the LED.  This physically moves the LED currents away from the switch (and hence the audio signals).
-Build a little mini-enclosure around the LED and it's associated control/power circuitry, within the main enclosure.  Connect this enclosure to earth ground.

Hmmmm so i should........nah looks like ill just be buying a new 'non-flashy LED' then? damn my need for aesthetics.

thanks anyway
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

I've used flashing & rainbow LED's in a couple of pedals with no adverse effects. I haven't done anything out of the ordinary with them either.

knealebrown

replaced it with a standard 8mm red LED now, no problems  :icon_biggrin:

kabi

here's my latest build, the 'useful idiot'  ;)

First time on a 1590A enclosure, thank god it all fit in there :)

MikeH

"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Leston Braun

Pics of a "splatter-splitter" I built for our bassist. It is the AMZ Splitter with two outputs, and the other one is mutable. Our bassist has his tuner always on (in case he forgets what he is playing, he can always check) and for actual tuning he can mute the amp. LED glows green when signal passes to the amp, and red when on mute. Circuit is not "gooped", it is just protected against shorting to the enclosure.

kupfer_m

My latest...
With double delay time & infinite repeats mods. (all the info found here!)

Greetings,
Jim

markeebee

Quote from: kupfer_m on March 20, 2010, 06:46:56 AM
My latest...

That graphic is top. Looks great & very funny. Everything I look for in a woman. 

knealebrown

That graphic is top. Looks great & very funny. Everything I look for in a woman. 
[/quote]

you like you women funny looking?

markeebee

Ha! That's not actually what I meant, but now that you mention it....

Slade

My latest...

Greetings,
Jim
Hey! Congrats for that beautiful build, I like the airport concept, I almost always design my pedals according to a concept.
Congrats again ;)

tombola

My first pedal - just a veroboard SHO in a 1590b. Accidentally used a conductive plastic pot - the crackle is still there, but strange - when you turn the knob, the whole sound sort of drops out and drops back in, like the circuit is changing gear...
Image on the enclosure is from Google Patents - a 1965 'tone modifier' transfered using Fuzz Aldryn's awesome magazine cover + laser printer + iron technique and covered with a few coats of gloss varnish.
Knob is Daka-Ware bakelite from http://www.downstrokemusic.com/.

Picture on Flickr

mattthegamer463

Rick Holt's Pentadriver Turbo Plus

X2FET übergain pedal

earthtonesaudio

My latest...
(img)
Greetings,
Jim

The switch on the left is something I'd hope to never encounter in any air travel experience.  Yikes.  :)

Quote from: tombola on March 20, 2010, 06:43:24 PM
My first pedal - just a veroboard SHO in a 1590b. Accidentally used a conductive plastic pot - the crackle is still there, but strange - when you turn the knob, the whole sound sort of drops out and drops back in, like the circuit is changing gear...
Image on the enclosure is from Google Patents - a 1965 'tone modifier' transfered using Fuzz Aldryn's awesome magazine cover + laser printer + iron technique and covered with a few coats of gloss varnish.
Knob is Daka-Ware bakelite from http://www.downstrokemusic.com/.
(img)
Picture on Flickr

I really dig the patent graphic!

kupfer_m

Quote from: tombola on March 20, 2010, 06:43:24 PM

Really nice graphic !
Yes, indeed the laserprinter-magazine-paper works great, I too used it when etching an enclosure. cheap & good!

knealebrown

A DOD 250, never got the transparency quite right, but the insides are getting better and its my first homemade PCB so im pretty chuffed.

humptydumpty

Thomeeque

Quote from: knealebrown on March 21, 2010, 01:00:05 PM

Really nice .. but why did you bother yourself with those PCBs for IN&OUT jacks? :icon_eek: To me it looks like pure complication without any benefit..?

Btw. FRESH is amazing song, congrats!

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Slade

Hi,
Really beautiful builds here again, as always, congrats to everyone.
So, here is my last, it's a Tri-Vibe, I love how it does his Vibe thing... Thanks to solderman for his help debugging it :icon_biggrin:
I'll be uploading a video of this pedal soon.

Regards,
Fernando.-