News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tombola

Yep, it's just a feedback looper from the Beavis schematic with a couple of momentary switches for full feedback and kill.

The circuit is so simple, but building the whole thing still takes ages. Decal is waterslide over car paint, under car varnish.

Flickr link

tubelectron

Ah - Very good idea for that TDK cassette for your stompbox deco !
And thanks for the recipe to do it.
I am always amazed by your finishes genius, folks !
A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

Nikolay

Hides-His-Eyes, I make a few stuff, and I can't give you accurate price.
Also I'm sure that the price in Bulgaria is a complete different than other countries.

MmmPedals, here is the basic schematics for the looper:

you can make it with more or less loops. Just get the idea with 4013's.
If you like to have bypass button and you like the unit starts at bypass, just replace reset and set wires of bypass part of 4013.
Q output from 4013 can drive any kind of relay driver with single transistor, or with ULN chip.

darron

Quote from: tombola on June 27, 2010, 03:27:42 PM
Yep, it's just a feedback looper from the Beavis schematic with a couple of momentary switches for full feedback and kill.

The circuit is so simple, but building the whole thing still takes ages. Decal is waterslide over car paint, under car varnish.

Flickr link

bloody amazing construction.

gives me a real feeling that the box is constructed of 10mm plastic :D

Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

John Lyons

Nice one! I dig that graphic.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

cat

This is more or less a Green Ringer clone.

Lil' story behind this one. I was watching a DVD - Rory Gallagher Live at Montreux 1985. Rory was playing a song called "Bad Penny" in which he made fantastic use of an octave effect. Well, I had to build one!

When the time came to name/decorate it I figured Id pay homage to my orignal inspiration and create a bit of a tribute to one of my favourite guitarists Rory Gallagher.

I call it the "Bad Penny Octave" and fittingly I located an Irish Penny coin (1948 mint - same year of Rory's birth) and stuck it on the front.

Here she is.

Cat

tubelectron

Hi cat,

Nice look with that green smooth sparkle paint and penny deco on your stompbox. But furthermore :

1/ it seems that there is NO control at all on this pedal - am I right ? - minimalistic approach = very interesting to me. I am thinking about building a simple and efficient octaver (not a factory), so I will search more info about what you call the "green ringer" to built something similar as yours. Have you got any other infos about your "minimalistic" octaver release for help ?

2/ just fo the fun : is the penny "Loctite-glued" ?

In fact, I search the device who gives that killing trebly guitar tone heard at the start and the end of the disco tune "Getting Serious" by Frantique (1979), and I thing that it's an octaver...

Congratulations again,

A+!

cat

Quote from: tubelectron on June 28, 2010, 12:48:14 AM
Hi cat,

Nice look with that green smooth sparkle paint and penny deco on your stompbox. But furthermore :

1/ it seems that there is NO control at all on this pedal - am I right ? - minimalistic approach = very interesting to me. I am thinking about building a simple and efficient octaver (not a factory), so I will search more info about what you call the "green ringer" to built something similar as yours. Have you got any other infos about your "minimalistic" octaver release for help ?

2/ just fo the fun : is the penny "Loctite-glued" ?

In fact, I search the device who gives that killing trebly guitar tone heard at the start and the end of the disco tune "Getting Serious" by Frantique (1979), and I thing that it's an octaver...

Congratulations again,

A+!

Thanks tubelectron,

Yes there is no control over the octave effect. To research Google for the "Dan Armstrong - Green Ringer".

The penny is held on with shock proof super glue so hopefully it wont fall off  :icon_mrgreen:

Cat

glops

I built a couple of these for friends.  Shin-Ei Companion with the variable mid scoop. 

Top is reversed etched and had to strip the first THICK coat of clear because of some blemishing. What was etched was an even black coat.  When scrapping the clear off with lots of acetone with a toothbrush, a lot of the black got f'ed up but it came out great with the mix of the ugly etched parts and remnants of the black.

I meant to etch the sides but ran out of patience and ended up clearing on the less than perfect PNP transfer

And my best gut shot as of yet

deadastronaut

Quote from: John Lyons on June 27, 2010, 07:12:55 PM

Nice one! I dig that graphic.

yeah that is cool.....very retro...like the placement of the knob leds etc...suits it well..great.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

tubelectron

Quote from: cat on June 28, 2010, 12:52:27 AM
Quote from: tubelectron on June 28, 2010, 12:48:14 AM
Yes there is no control over the octave effect. To research Google for the "Dan Armstrong - Green Ringer".

Thanks cat,
I heard some videos about the "Dan Armstrong - Green Ringer" and it seems to be the sound I was speaking about, as I only want octave, not combined with distortion or fuzz. And there is NO knobs... Good !
So I will search more info and make a proto for an evaluation trial.
A+!

Magnus

Hello,
wow nice pedals again, really great designs and guts - cool :)

Here is my "Tube-Boost", I posted it some pages before,
but now it got a little design, only "Tube-Boost" and "ECC 82", but now it is finished...
I also made a better quality photo from the electronic and one where you can see it in action:

The next two pedals will be a Gretsch Controfuzz-Clone and a Dallas Arbiter Silicon Fuzz Face (BC108)-Clone...

Greetings
Magnus
AMZ Booster, Dist. +, DOD 250,
Dr. Boogey, Fuzz Face's, JCM800-Emu, LPB1,
May Booster, Obsidian, Orange T/B-Booster,
Pentaboost, Prof. Tweed, Rangemaster's,
SansAmp GT2, Superfly (Amp), Guv'nor,
Tone Bender MKI/MKII/MKIII, TS 808

deadastronaut

nice...nice hole too....how did you do it..loads of filing?....
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

tubelectron

Hi magnus,

Very nice and compact release with tubes - very good idea to show the tube that way - a lot of interest for me !

- same question : nice...nice hole too....how did you do it..loads of filing?.... or did you use a programmable shaping machine ?

- complementary question : is the tube protected in any way ? (I don't think so, but...)

- another question : is it a lo-voltage tube booster ? (I am pretty sure it is; but...).

I have done something similar but not so compact and in hi-voltage configuration, with smooth overdrive and sustain feature :

This one is a personal design (nothing to do with the current hiwatt custom tube overdrive production, but the name and the "wont get fooled again" sound when pushed). Here is a size comparison with other tube overdrive/booster pedals :

Nonetheless, I will remember your idea of "tube compactness", magnus.

additional note : I hope you won't be too much deceived by your D-A Si FF clone tone...

A+!

Magnus

Hello,

Quotenice...nice hole too....how did you do it..loads of filing?....
Thank you  :)
First I drilled three holes in the marked shape, then I used a rasp/file and did the finish by hand,
here's another picture where you can see the details of the window something better:
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/albums/userpics/17258/Tube-Boost.jpg

QuoteHi magnus,

Very nice and compact release with tubes - very good idea to show the tube that way - a lot of interest for me !
Thank you  :)

Quote- same question : nice...nice hole too....how did you do it..loads of filing?.... or did you use a programmable shaping machine ?
Read above  ;)

Quote- complementary question : is the tube protected in any way ? (I don't think so, but...)
No, but it is protected enough, the window is much smaller then the tube
and if I would play it on a gig I would glue a little clear-plastic
with removable adhesive tape on top of it...

Quote- another question : is it a lo-voltage tube booster ? (I am pretty sure it is; but...).
Yes, here's the schematic:
http://www.tube-town.net/diy/lov/lov03-banana_booster-schema.jpg

And here's my layout:
http://www.tube-town.net/diy/lov/lov03-banana_booster-layout.jpg

QuoteI have done something similar but not so compact and in hi-voltage configuration, with smooth overdrive and sustain feature
Wow, they look awesome  :o

Quoteadditional note : I hope you won't be too much deceived by your D-A Si FF clone tone...
I knew what kind of sound it would produce,
so I have build it exactly, its for comparison if I build another modified one
and it is an inspiration to use it sometimes, and for the collection of sure  ;)

Additional I used sockets for the transistors, I will try matching some 2N2369 and look what they sound like,
but the BC108s still will be in this pedal, if I find some good (or better) transistors
I will build another (modified) SI-Fuzz with more good sounding mods and maybe some mojo too...

Greetings
Magnus
AMZ Booster, Dist. +, DOD 250,
Dr. Boogey, Fuzz Face's, JCM800-Emu, LPB1,
May Booster, Obsidian, Orange T/B-Booster,
Pentaboost, Prof. Tweed, Rangemaster's,
SansAmp GT2, Superfly (Amp), Guv'nor,
Tone Bender MKI/MKII/MKIII, TS 808

davent

Quote from: glops on June 28, 2010, 01:06:53 AM
I built a couple of these for friends.  Shin-Ei Companion with the variable mid scoop. 

Top is reversed etched and had to strip the first THICK coat of clear because of some blemishing. What was etched was an even black coat.  When scrapping the clear off with lots of acetone with a toothbrush, a lot of the black got f'ed up but it came out great with the mix of the ugly etched parts and remnants of the black.

That top finish turned out great! Now can you duplicate it, my efforts to replicate my happy accidents are usually  busts.

Take care
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

glops

Quote from: davent on June 28, 2010, 11:45:31 AM
Quote from: glops on June 28, 2010, 01:06:53 AM

That top finish turned out great! Now can you duplicate it, my efforts to replicate my happy accidents are usually  busts.

Take care
dave

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could duplicate it.  I did two of these and they look almost identical.  I used a soft bristle toothbrush and acetone scrapped off the black paint in the etched area to taste.  Makes it look old and worn.  It looks great with the sides of the PNP that didn't adhere properly due to lack of sanding.  This is one of those 1790NS boxes from Pedal Parts plus which I think is a Hammond clone.  There are a lot of grooves and imperfections in these boxes which make them a pain to sand.  I think it worked out on the sides and like the way the PNP is imperfect for the labels. 

fuzzo

funny I've made a SHin ei with the same arrangement of the box (pot on the right ) and controls !  :icon_lol:

Chouettes pédales tubelectron !

stringsthings

Quote from: kungpow79 on June 22, 2010, 03:57:53 AM
DougH's Highway 89.  I was surprised how nice these pics came out in part sunlight.  Wow, this thing has a truck load of gain!  I definitely use the guitar's volume with this one.

that is an excellent picture.

tubelectron

Quote from: fuzzo on June 28, 2010, 01:51:25 PM
Chouettes pédales tubelectron !

Thanks fuzzo - as you can see... No painting job, nor etching... Mission Impossible to me.

And Thanks Magnus for the informations about your super-compact tube booster !

About your planning of a FF Si release, here's below one example which works reasonably well - way better than my previous trials with BC107/8/9 A/B/C, which to my taste (surprisingly) sounded "harsh" in the original FF Si configuration... I housed it in a cheap JH-1 Hendrix fuzz face (the black ones made with MPSA18 which sounds awfully bad). Here's the schematic of my "acceptable" Si FF :

A+!