News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: .Mike on March 27, 2012, 02:10:23 PM

How nice, you found a way to advertise for someone else, right in the middle of your own advertisement!

134 total posts, 126 of them to the pictures topic. The last time you posted in a topic other than this one was May 2009.

Seems like you're a commercial builder, and not a DIYer. Beyond advertising, why are you here...?

:)

Mike

Sorry but I have to SECOND this!!

There are too many posters on here putting up 17 different shots of the SAME PEDAL!! I would think that this is clogging up the site (RESOURCE LIMIT REACHED!!!!)

Can we put a limit on how many pics can be put up of the same pedal? Can we also put something down about stamping EACH AND EVERY PICTURE with the builder's company logo?? Am I the only one who gets frustrated by this?

RANT OVER!!  8)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

greeny23

Quote from: Mac Walker on March 26, 2012, 08:03:23 PM
Are there, or is there going to be, leds in those holes? Those small ones at "the top", looks like three mm holes.

You can see it if you zoom in, it's a 1mm hole with a red LED superglued in place.  They came from my parts bin, sitting around for about twenty years, they are similar to this:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kingbright/WP4060ID/?qs=DkZGzo4b%252bTIwB%2f%2fFz3p0w3OVGM76yTL4NOcb5%252bzPhsc%3d

doin it devi style.

tasos

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on March 27, 2012, 02:40:02 PM

How nice, you found a way to advertise for someone else, right in the middle of your own advertisement!

134 total posts, 126 of them to the pictures topic. The last time you posted in a topic other than this one was May 2009.

Seems like you're a commercial builder, and not a DIYer. Beyond advertising, why are you here...?

:)

Mike

Sorry but I have to SECOND this!!

There are too many posters on here putting up 17 different shots of the SAME PEDAL!! I would think that this is clogging up the site (RESOURCE LIMIT REACHED!!!!)

Can we put a limit on how many pics can be put up of the same pedal? Can we also put something down about stamping EACH AND EVERY PICTURE with the builder's company logo?? Am I the only one who gets frustrated by this?

RANT OVER!!  8)

Well 3 pictures is ok...
Gutshot,overall view and a detail..

However about the stamp thing...
It requires some basic knowledge on editing photos however,not everybody can do it and not everybody is able to do it...For example some people only use mobile phones to surf! ;)

snarblinge

2 should be enough, out in, and a link to more if required. or people are interested.

I Personally browse here for variety and inspiration. TBH I don't get this from the mega posters whose pedals look very similar. don't mean to offend Shortscale I like what you are doing. maybe only post when it's different. lyons only seems to post a fraction of his builds and they are always interesting. I think some of the fabbed boards, produced looking pedals that turn up don't need so many pics. also puts off the new builders posting as it sets the standard rather high. hmmm, rambling a bit and not posting pics, sorry.

2c
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

tasos

By the way,
i haven't posted for a while!
Rebote delay 2.5

Perrow

Quote from: snarblinge on March 27, 2012, 04:59:13 PM
2 should be enough, out in, and a link to more if required. or people are interested.

I Personally browse here for variety and inspiration. TBH I don't get this from the mega posters whose pedals look very similar. don't mean to offend Shortscale I like what you are doing. maybe only post when it's different. lyons only seems to post a fraction of his builds and they are always interesting. I think some of the fabbed boards, produced looking pedals that turn up don't need so many pics. also puts off the new builders posting as it sets the standard rather high. hmmm, rambling a bit and not posting pics, sorry.

2c

I find new builders pics far more interesting than another IC Muff from Shortscale (sorry you're taking the heat this time, there are definitely a few others that should/could be named here).

As an example of the "other" kind, take FC, we see bunch of pictures from new designs as well as schematics and input to the community, but like Lyon and other pro or semi pro builders they don't sprinkle this thread with every pedal they build. Post when you have something new to show us  (even if it's just new to you) and share your knowledge with the community.

I personally don't have a problem with "stamps" and logos on the pictures, but I too have scrolled past the twentieth IC Muff shot from ten angles (or were they ten new IC Muffs?) and gone "Yeah yeah, show me something new".

Another 2c, guess we'll have a dollar soon ;)
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

kurtlives

Quote from: Perrow on March 27, 2012, 05:40:04 PM
Quote from: snarblinge on March 27, 2012, 04:59:13 PM

2c

I find new builders pics far more interesting than another IC Muff from Shortscale (sorry you're taking the heat this time, there are definitely a few others that should/could be named here).

As an example of the "other" kind, take FC, we see bunch of pictures from new designs as well as schematics and input to the community, but like Lyon and other pro or semi pro builders they don't sprinkle this thread with every pedal they build. Post when you have something new to show us  (even if it's just new to you) and share your knowledge with the community.

I personally don't have a problem with "stamps" and logos on the pictures, but I too have scrolled past the twentieth IC Muff shot from ten angles (or were they ten new IC Muffs?) and gone "Yeah yeah, show me something new".

Another 2c, guess we'll have a dollar soon ;)
cough greeny with his shorting mojo parts builds using Andy's swirl techniques...
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

frequencycentral

Roland 100M 121 VCF clone using 4 x CA3080. I've added a very nice extra feature:

- additional 12dB/oct audio output

.......which is...

- inverted with respect to the stock 24dB/oct output

.......therefore...

- mixing the two outputs together results in phase cancellation and therefore bandpass mode

.......and also really interesting to use the two outputs for stereo.

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

davent

Coming to a Walmart near you...

Modified anonymousfacelesscoward's layout, no idea if this works. Wiring is messier then it looks.

Right hand switch- true bypass with Millennium II- led works!

Middle switch- momentary either on or off- led works!

Left hand switch- determines the state of the momentary switch- led works!

... six sides, gut shot,  how many do i get?

Have fun! dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

HOTTUBES

This is my latest build ....
I know its kinda plain , but i like the simple look !!

Earthscum

Quote from: davent on March 27, 2012, 10:05:52 PM

... six sides, gut shot,  how many do i get?

Dude... you get a "FAIL"... 5 pictures, and I still cant see either the left or the right sides clearly.  :icon_lol:

and...

OMFG!!! DID YOU JUST SHOW US WASHERS?!?   :o

Oh, and Dave... Nice finish  :)
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

Keppy

Beyond advertising, why are you here...?
ShortScaleMike has posted several times (yes, in the pictures thread) about the materials he uses and the types of modifications he's done to his builds when others have asked, so he's contributing in that way. And if he wants to advertise, I don't think a DIY forum is getting him very far. You can complain about the volume of his posts, but I'd stop short of questioning his motives. I for one have benefited from a few of his posts.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

darron

from what i have noticed - usually people who post lots of photos of the same pedal are the ones who have put in the most effort.

people who take extra photos of close-ups are the ones who pay attention to detail (we all want to see that)

people who put logos on every photo usually have the best taken shots on nice cameras and bother to do some nice editing work in photoshop.

there's no consumption of bandwidth. look back to page 1 where we all used 800x600 screens with a dialup or basic broadband modem. those photos (that are left) are like old camera phone shots. now people have screens closer to 1920 wide and dialup doesn't exist any more.

it doesn't hurt for somebody to take pride in their work and show it off. especially if it's outstanding work! just scroll the page down a little faster when you are viewing it.

as for shots of the pro-fabbed boards, i at least know i'm interested in them. i like DIY boards, DIY work etc much more but when i see the amount of highly thought out layout effort tightly jammed together i feel impressed more so than someone's tube screamer or fuzz face clone which they probably just copied a project file off the net to make.

keep 'em coming!
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

.Mike

Yep, I figured it would be a mixed bag, with people who are cool with mostly-commercial builders posting at a DIY forum, and others who find it to be in poor taste. Obviously, I'm not a fan, although I'm sure they're nice folks. To me, Do It Yourself really means Do It For Yourself, and when you've stopped doing it for yourself, you've stopped DIYing. Obviously, plenty of room for differing opinions.

I'm not suggesting that certain people shouldn't be allowed to post, or anything even close to that. But there is a whole forum for pictures now. It seems reasonable that the people who are building more for sale than for keeps could have a topic for their commercial builds. They could post pictures of their 50th build of the month or their "custom shop" pedals without burying the posts of new members who, brimming with pride, generally end up being ignored.

Should have just started a new topic...   :icon_redface:

Mike
If you're not doing it for yourself, it's not DIY. ;)

My effects site: Just one more build... | My website: America's Debate.

deadastronaut

i built 14,897 of these...(which i have posted before ;)).. :icon_mrgreen:

available at:
sainsbury's
tescos
marks and spencer
asda
lidl
aldi   RRP £0.12P   (note: item shown may not be what you recieve, the management reserve the right to change the product at anytime.)

btw: rick, your synth stuff is the nuts... :icon_cool:

@davent: cool echo base...nice! :icon_cool:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Perrow

I have no problem with pro builders posting pictures, hell, if MXR wants to come here and post images of their new pedals (or even better, their prototypes), I'll happily accept that. What I don't want is for this thread to be a live webcam of their production line.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

arma61

Quote from: deadastronaut on March 28, 2012, 04:50:01 AM
i built 14,897 of these...(which i have posted before ;)).. :icon_mrgreen:

available at:
sainsbury's
tescos
marks and spencer
asda
lidl
aldi   RRP £0.12P   (note: item shown may not be what you recieve, the management reserve the right to change the product at anytime.)

Rob!!! you make my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

Kev77

a madbean Looper and karate chop - box by me, proper work by Jez5 in Nz

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: .Mike on March 28, 2012, 03:21:18 AM
Yep, I figured it would be a mixed bag, with people who are cool with mostly-commercial builders posting at a DIY forum, and others who find it to be in poor taste. Obviously, I'm not a fan, although I'm sure they're nice folks. To me, Do It Yourself really means Do It For Yourself, and when you've stopped doing it for yourself, you've stopped DIYing. Obviously, plenty of room for differing opinions.

I'm not suggesting that certain people shouldn't be allowed to post, or anything even close to that. But there is a whole forum for pictures now. It seems reasonable that the people who are building more for sale than for keeps could have a topic for their commercial builds. They could post pictures of their 50th build of the month or their "custom shop" pedals without burying the posts of new members who, brimming with pride, generally end up being ignored.

Should have just started a new topic...   :icon_redface:

Mike

AGREED!

I think people on the forum would get restless if I posted the SAME TS circuit 20 times in a month with only different knobs or a different paint job!

March 28th: Here is my GREEN Tubescreamer that I built for Joe Smith (12 pictures to follow)
March 30th: Here is my BLUE Tubescreamer that I built for John Jones (11 pictures to follow)
April 3rd: Here is another GREEN Tubescreamer that I built for Bob Thomas (9 pictures to follow)
April 5th: Here is a combined LPB and Tubescreamer that I built for Ronald McDonald (13 pictures to follow)

I am not saying that "commercial" builders should be banned from posting. Quite the contrary! I agree with Mike that they should have their own section of the forum. Sometimes, the more "commercial" builders have tips to offer.

As for the multiple pictures. I really do not see it as anything more than a vanity/advertising thing. I don't buy into the "greater appreciation for detail." idea. I mean.... does anyone really want ot see closeups of the white washers and the 3PDT?

I would say that an overall picture and a gut-shot is good enough for just about anyone. Maybe a 3rd pic to highlight some odd feature of the build (Like a skillfully placed midi port)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

ShortScaleMike

I thought people might be interested, generally I only post images of some of my more interesting builds here - but if people are bothered, I'll stop.

However to suggest I'm advertising - on a DIY stompbox forum - is certainly a new one on me. I'm flattered you think I'm a commercial success - I build pedals in my bedroom like many of you, and have a day job.

I've also done many veroboard layouts and shared them with the DIY community (my name is Mike Livesley), but I mostly post on FSB.org, as I assume a lot of you guys also do. I figured this was a reasonable place to share photos. And I post a lot in this thread about other people's builds and answering questions abuot finishing and decals for those interested here.

But - point taken, I'll not post anything else to this thread. I guess my 31st birthday is as good a day as any to bow out.
Take it easy
M