News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digi2t

Quote from: davent on November 25, 2012, 12:05:32 AM
That's one beast of a power supply, nicely done. I've got most of the bits gathered to put a smaller-scale Spyder of my own together but am unsure what to do about fusing, was wondering how you went about fusing the circuit(s)?

Thanks!
dave

I only fused the main. It's a bit dark in the photo, but next to the main power cable strain relief is a fuse holder.

If you're not sure of how to do it, I would emplore you to seek the advice of a professional certified electrician. This is 120v we're dealing with here. It can be leathal, or at the very least cause serious ijury and/or property damage if not handled correctly. Please don't risk injury, damage or death "thinking" that it's OK. Get the advice, or better yet, have a pro wire it for you. An ounce of prevention...
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

garcho

@Pinio

That Dizzytone a page back looks killer! Really well designed. You a graphic artist or something?
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Leston Braun

davent

Nicely done Geoff... and i do like those knobs!

Have a couple pedals with stereo-jack effects loops so built this bypass/looper box to use in place of the  "y" cord. Based on Beavis' documents, has a volume control and a switchable feeback pot. Can be used with a stereo in/out plug but also usable as a mono setup so good as a breadboard breakout box or a true bypass box if needed.

Take care,
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

John Lyons

Uh, wow!
Nice one Dave. Love the textures and depth of the finish/color.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Mustachio

D000d ! Dave! The finish on that pedal is amazing I love it! Any chance you can share with what the finish all entails. It looks like mixed mediums to me but I don't really know, I just know I love it! Beautiful work So clean !
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

darron

Quote from: Geoff Leonard on November 25, 2012, 09:56:37 AM

that's way cool Geoff!

How do you think that the Tungsram ones compare for noise and tone? Any what did you scribble out? Batch code?

Some of mine i use steel wool to rub off marking just to be mysterious. And/or paint them with candy nail polish...
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

midwayfair

My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Leston Braun

Quote from: darron on November 26, 2012, 01:25:44 AM

that's way cool Geoff!

How do you think that the Tungsram ones compare for noise and tone? Any what did you scribble out? Batch code?

Some of mine i use steel wool to rub off marking just to be mysterious. And/or paint them with candy nail polish...

Thank you!

It's actually Leevi, and I had my nick changed as well (i happened to google my earlier nick)

This is my first time ever to play with a Fuzz Face, so I wouldn't know how it compares to other transistors.. ;D

The set i used is this

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Fuzz-Face-low-gain-transistor-set.html

They sound nice. And to my ear, the pedal is very silent, no hiss etc.

davent

Thanks guys!

Lots of layers with a variety of different mediums. Acrylic paints, gels and mediums, mostly Golden's stuff, (easy to get around here),  India Ink, charcoal, watercolor pencils,, permanent markers, wet toner transfers, frisket film stencils, liquid frisket.

Applied/manipulated  paints, acrylic mediums and inks  with pallet knives, paint brushes, natural sponges, fingers, toothbrushes and scrub brushes(splatter), plastic cards, poured direct from bottle, compressed air, cheesecloth, airbrush for interlayer clearcoating and white bursts, dip pens, cut off resistor leads, paper towel... pretty much whatever was at hand.

Removed paints with water, (splatter paint, allow to dry for a time then a judicious water rinse leaves you with nice little coloured rings), lots of sandpaper, files & rifflers, xacto knife, dental picks, paper towel, whatever it takes to fix up the mess.

After drilling and priming the enclosure I'll apply/remove paints 'til it appeals then clearcoat (airbrush) with a mix of GAC 200/Airbrush Medium (2:1), a few coats to protect the paints. GAC200 is their hardest medium (and adhesion promoter) and protects the underlayers from the abuses involved in manipulating the next layer. Many such alternating layers were involved so you do get a sense of depth.

For large lettering and emblems cut stencils from frisket film but for the "Grounhog Day" a toner transfer of the letter outlines was applied then filled in with a brush, next a stencil applied to protect the top so splattering could be done. Use TurboCAD to create a drilling guide as well as the large lettering. With TurboCAD a couple clicks and you can reduce  block lettering to a thin outline which is all i want for the transfer. Takes a bit of further manipulation in Inkscape to mirror the image and adjust the line thickness.

With some of the stencils, infill was watercolour pencils but they won't work on the slick GAC surface so applied thinned "Grounds for Pastel" to the stenciled area  and that gives the surface some bite for pencils, charcoal etc. Remove the stencil after the infill's good and because of the stencil, you have a slightly raised surface which you can lightly charcoal the edges of to give an outline to lettering/emblems. The excess charcoal around the stenciled bit is easy to remove because there's no bite to that surface.

The '333' was applied as a light grey toner transfer along with the "Groundhog Day" outline.  Sanded most of the 333 off then painted it back in with "Grounds for Pastel" to allow for colouring with watercolour pencils. And always follow a paint step with the interference clearcoat. I'll clearcoat everytime i get something i don't want to manipulate further although i can still get back to it if i want (for subtractive altering) and sometimes when i don't, oh well.

At the end of the day you end up with an enclosure with quite the undulating, gouged up surface which in the past would take days and days of mutiple layers of airbrushed waterbased lacquer to level. For this one tried a mix of the GAC200, Self Leveling Gel and distilled water, apllied with a small pallet/putty knife, it didn't take too many layering cycles to get a level surface. Spread film, allow to dry, sand, spread-dry-sand etc.

Once level, left it a week to dry then lacquered using Gloss Target 7000 waterbased lacquer (StewMAc sell for guitar finishing but seems to be widely available). Took relatively few coats to get the finish i was after. For the final coats I've found that by using lower pressure (~20lbs) and a fairly dry coat i can get a really nice matt finish that takes no further processing. Applying heavier and wet, gives you the gloss that you can further refine with wet sanding and rubbing out.

No idea how well all this will stand up to abuse!

The local library has provided me with stacks of DIY books on mixed media, collaging, acrylic painting, journalling, doodling, image transfer, hand lettering... so much interesting stuff to explore...

dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

ca cat

MArshal like drive pedal - The Stack!

Simmilar one, EVH look:
Jamin' with JaM IT FX - www.jamitfx.com

Slade

Davent, that's a beautiful pedal! Congrats :D

This one is a Ross Compressor and Decimator G-String in a box.

pakrat

Beautiful as always slade  :D

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: ca cat on November 26, 2012, 05:02:49 PM

@cat

I have always liked the designs of your pedals. Would you mind sharing your methods? Is it etch or laser? Painting process??

Enquiring minds NEED to know!!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

garcho

@Davent

That is seriously sick killer murderous incredible design, bro. Bravo, really nice, and inspiring.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

electrosonic

Rat type thing, metal can LM308 for extra mojo. The friend I am giving it to doesn't use batteries, so I skipped adding the clip. Buffered 4053 switching.

My first quasi successful electro etch.

Andrew.

• SUPPORTER

ca cat

@Govmnt_Lacky:

Thanks!
All designs are etched, (standard Slade procedure  :icon_biggrin:) ; designed in Adobe Illustrator. If you noticed, red / black designs are my fetish  :icon_biggrin:
But I etch alluminium plates, not enclosures. The designs are then hand-painted with paintbrush and a lot of patience. I use standard spray paints; I spray a little of them in small cup.
When dry, the faceplate is then wet-sanded -> 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 2000.
Jamin' with JaM IT FX - www.jamitfx.com

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Mustachio

DAT ETCH! Those look great Rob! I gotta get me a laser printer! I love all the LEDs! especially on the chorus. Are you using sound to light or something similar on any of them?

Also the Spitfire is awesome! I might have to build that one!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"