News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolay

Skruffyhound. Thank you very much!
May you help me a little bit to fix and improve the quality of my english version of the manual?

Yes. English is not my first language and this is my problem sometimes.

All the best!

Valoosj

Quote from: Nikolay on January 07, 2013, 11:45:24 AM
Yes. English is not my first language and this is my problem sometimes.

No worries Nikolay. Many native speakers of English are incapable of writing their own language without making mistakes against even the most basic rules of English grammar and vocabulary. And if anyone ever complains, let them try your language for a change. See how they fare.

Skruffyhound does have a point however. Getting a licensed translator might not be a bad idea. Agreed, this might cost you quite a bit, but you pay for what you get. I've heard and read a lot of work of people claiming to be good at English and felt ashamed in their stead ...
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

garcho

'Mistakes against'? That's a new one  ;)
QuoteMany native speakers of English are incapable of writing their own language without making mistakes against even the most basic rules...

I agree, translations are expensive, but when I see a menu with 'constipated pork' instead of 'stuffed pork chop' I start wondering about their attention to detail.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

deadastronaut

^ ive been to that restaurant... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Valoosj

Quote from: garcho on January 07, 2013, 12:46:46 PM

Though it may be my Flemish creeping in, please do enlighten me what is wrong. I have searched for this on my usual translation sites (such as pros.com, a site run by licensed translators) and could not find anything wrong with this preposition.

Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

garcho

One 'makes mistakes' - they're not something for, against or apart; you don't need a preposition, what you need is a different sentence structure. I trust your translation research, but I'm a native English speaker and believe me, while we might make mistakes, no one ever says we 'make mistakes against'. If you say 'make mistakes against', every native English speaker on Earth will know you're not one. I hope, for your sake, you're not a spy.  ;)
Personally, I love the look of 'foreign' (foreign to me) scripts. A lot of my favorite pedals here have been in Cyrillic, even when it's just an English loan word (фуз, дисторшън, гаин). I'm making some decals for a few pedals in Devanagari (Hindi script) and Arabic, beautiful scripts. If the controls are simple, who needs to know what they say?!   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Perrow

Quote from: Valoosj on January 07, 2013, 01:24:25 PM

Though it may be my Flemish creeping in, please do enlighten me what is wrong. I have searched for this on my usual translation sites (such as pros.com, a site run by licensed translators) and could not find anything wrong with this preposition.

What your looking for is "break", i.e. you break rules. In Swedish we actually "break against rules", and it's almost there in English too, you "do something that's against the rules", but you don't break against them.
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Jdansti

QuoteMany native speakers of English are incapable of writing their own language without making mistakes against even the most basic rules...

I agree, translations are expensive, but when I see a menu with 'constipated pork' instead of 'stuffed pork chop' I start wondering about their attention to detail.

Or "Human Steak".  :icon_eek:

(Hunan) :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Skruffyhound

Oh wow! this took off since I was in earlier.
Actually, what I was trying to say was that the English on Niki's site reads well! I didn't find any mistakes in what I read.
So I assumed he'd already got some help because I see some small mistakes sometimes in his comments here. Don't get me wrong, I can easily understand what you write Niki, but English is full of stupid rules probably because it's made up of so many other languages (French,Norse(Danish),Saxon(German), Latin, Gælic etc.,etc.) so as a foreigner it's impossible not to make any mistakes.(It's pretty difficult not to make mistakes as a native speaker)
I know exactly what it's like,my written Danish will probably never be perfect even though I've lived in Denmark for 16 years.
So congratulations on fine English represented on your website  :icon_biggrin:

snarblinge

shouldn't that be "your fine english represented on your website" or "the fine english.."

:D

what a friendly bunch...
b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

Nikolay

Skruffyhound, I know my English is poor.  :(
This is why most times only to read instead of writing in English Forums

For most times I pay for the translation for my website. I have a good knowledge and knowledge and control over making pedals, but not when I need to present something in English this is not in my hands ;)

Never mind. The most important is the Rock and roll!!
Rock on!

Valoosj

Quote from: garcho on January 07, 2013, 02:11:23 PM
One 'makes mistakes' - they're not something for, against or apart; you don't need a preposition, what you need is a different sentence structure. I trust your translation research, but I'm a native English speaker and believe me, while we might make mistakes, no one ever says we 'make mistakes against'. If you say 'make mistakes against', every native English speaker on Earth will know you're not one. I hope, for your sake, you're not a spy.  ;)
Personally, I love the look of 'foreign' (foreign to me) scripts. A lot of my favorite pedals here have been in Cyrillic, even when it's just an English loan word (фуз, дисторшън, гаин). I'm making some decals for a few pedals in Devanagari (Hindi script) and Arabic, beautiful scripts. If the controls are simple, who needs to know what they say?!   ;D

It just comes down to knowledge of what is used. As a translator I always found this to be always the most difficult part. Even though it is grammatically correct, I should have used "grammar mistakes" instead. Now you know I'm not a native speaker  :'(, though I have already made quite a few Brits in London believe otherwise! I'm not a spy, but I hate being 'caught'.

Perrow, break the rules is not very suitable in this situation. Breaking the rules is used when one does not obey the code of conduct for instance.

Perrow

I disagree, rules, whether social or grammatical, are meant to be broken ;)
My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Skruffyhound

QuoteIt's pretty difficult not to make mistakes as a native speaker
See
QuoteSo congratulations on fine English represented on your website
....the fine English...
I prove my own point

The only thing that's really important (apart from the rock and roll) is that we can understand each other, and correct grammar is not always necessary to achieve that goal.

garcho

I, for one, am very grateful to all of you here who write outside of your native language. I've learned a lot from the non-native English speakers, thank you!
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Skruffyhound on January 07, 2013, 07:07:18 PM
QuoteIt's pretty difficult not to make mistakes as a native speaker
See
QuoteSo congratulations on fine English represented on your website
....the fine English...
I prove my own point

The only thing that's really important (apart from the rock and roll) is that we can understand each other, and correct grammar is not always necessary to achieve that goal.

SO TRUE!  There was a German exchange student staying with a friend of mine. 100% language barrier.....except when we picked up guitars and started trading riffs. Something about that made me all warm and fuzzy inside :D
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

John Lyons

Hey man. where's the pics?  :icon_lol:

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

garcho

wow, is that a Ring Stinger?!  ;D
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

snarblinge

b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

amptramp