News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markeebee

I've been hanging out on a Gretscg forum recently, and some of the huys there have shown some interest in building a pedal or two.  So I thought I'd do some 'Inspired by Gretsch' pedals in the hope that they might like to have a go at something similar.

Contro Freak: Gretsch Contro Fuzz with switchable gain resistor.  Pos 1 disables the fuzz section of the opamp, so it's just a clean boost, Pos 2 makes it kinda like a D+ or something, Pos 3 makes it mentalist.  Gain is huge.

Compact Risk:  ROG Supreaux Deux (the Supro amp it's modelled on was also rebadged as Gretsch Compact) with switchable ROG cab sim. 

Poontwang:  Bajaman Sonic Stomp with added mid tweak for maximum twangking.

glops

Loves some ControFzz!!

Jdansti

^^ Beautiful builds, Mark!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

darron

Quote from: Pettol on January 17, 2013, 12:01:45 AM
@mustachio and darron: Thanks!

Got the pcb from Musikding.com, but it's actually quite ordinary orange-brownish.

it looks like the old dark brown stuff that goes by many names, one being paxolin. maybe a trick of lighting. i've been hunting that stuff for ages. can't see anything on the site that lpoks that dark though. thanks for the response (:
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

deadastronaut

@ian :slacker : FAKE... ;D

'@mark:  nice builds , ok i'll ask....perspex plates?...with under side printing?...looks great....as an led addict i'd have to light those up. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

markeebee

Yeah, perspex plates with clear inkjet sticker underneath, then sprayed underneath that with sparkly paint.  Kind of like a Gretsch pickguard. 

I've done others that light up the plate with a UV LED and they look pretty.  Not enough room to find a sensible place to put the LED on these ones, though.

tyzjames

@markeebee: neat design, very cool!

Just completed:

More swirls

AC, RC and BB Preamp rehouse.

gcme93

Quote from: markeebee on January 18, 2013, 07:36:34 AM

I've done others that light up the plate with a UV LED and they look pretty. 

Mark, did you need to polish up the inside face that the LED was sitting in for that to work? That sounds like a really cool plan for four different plates on a multieffect project i have in mind. Each one could light up a different colour if on
Piss poor playing is why i make pedals.

markeebee

Quote from: gcme93 on January 18, 2013, 08:18:41 AM

Mark, did you need to polish up the inside face that the LED was sitting in for that to work?

Dang, thought I had photos but I can't find them now.

I tried it two ways.  First I drilled a blind hole into the perspex (i.e. not all the way through) so that the LED sat in it.  That worked ok, but it looked a little bit messy when the LED was off.  Then I just drilled a hole in the enclosure and mounted the LED inside so that it shone through, and then masked off a corresponding circle on the plate before I painted it.  The LED wasn't so bright that way, but it was easily bright enough to clock that it was on, and it looked a lot neater overall.

Incidentally, I got a hundred of the plates cut by a local laser cutting place (50 off 1590B size, 50 off 1590BB) and they worked out about 45p each.

gcme93

Quote from: markeebee on January 18, 2013, 09:10:40 AM
Quote from: gcme93 on January 18, 2013, 08:18:41 AM

Mark, did you need to polish up the inside face that the LED was sitting in for that to work?

Dang, thought I had photos but I can't find them now.

I tried it two ways.  First I drilled a blind hole into the perspex (i.e. not all the way through) so that the LED sat in it.  That worked ok, but it looked a little bit messy when the LED was off.  Then I just drilled a hole in the enclosure and mounted the LED inside so that it shone through, and then masked off a corresponding circle on the plate before I painted it.  The LED wasn't so bright that way, but it was easily bright enough to clock that it was on, and it looked a lot neater overall.

Incidentally, I got a hundred of the plates cut by a local laser cutting place (50 off 1590B size, 50 off 1590BB) and they worked out about 45p each.

Thanks a lot for the tips!

I'm contemplating the former but somehow polishing up that inside edge, and maybe hiding the LED under a large stomp switch washer? All just ideas, I'll have to try some things out to work out what looks best.

midwayfair

^ Awesome builds, Mark.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

pickdropper

deadastronaut

Quote from: markeebee on January 18, 2013, 09:10:40 AM
I got a hundred of the plates cut by a local laser cutting place (50 off 1590B size, 50 off 1590BB) and they worked out about 45p each.

thats cheap and no hassle either......cool.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

earthtonesaudio

ppcnostalgic

This is a Klon Centaur based overdrive, graphics inspired to the famous movie K19, starring Harrison Ford. Built on a verified veroboard layout. It sounds nice and warm, powerful output volume and quite noiseless effect, although I can't compare it to the original Klon Centaur, don't own it and didn't ever try one :icon_redface:

gcme93

Quote from: ppcnostalgic on January 18, 2013, 05:13:54 PM
This is a Klon Centaur based overdrive, graphics inspired to the famous movie K19, starring Harrison Ford. Built on a verified veroboard layout. It sounds nice and warm, powerful output volume and quite noiseless effect, although I can't compare it to the original Klon Centaur, don't own it and didn't ever try one :icon_redface:

Looks beautiful inside and out!

iq01221

Hi! Here's a few of my these days work:
Magnus modulus:

Gutshot? No, thanks... ;D

Real tube overdrive x2 (one for a friend, ...and the ugly one for me :icon_mrgreen: )

And, I... don't remember if I'm forgettin' something...
Anyway... Regards!!

KNA

My two latest efforts. The red one is a Crunchbox with external presence control and I think it sounds pretty sweet. Also works well with bass. It's probably my best wotk so far, at least in my opinion, since it both looks and sounds good.  ;D
The black one is a Blueberry bass overdrive. Haven't really tried it out on full volume but it sounds promising. Both pedals are vero layouts from tagboard effects.

Trophies, swedish hardcore at its best: http://trophies.bandcamp.com/

midwayfair

Runoff Groove Tri-Vibe on Solderman's layout:

Thanks to Haberdasher (on the Madbean forum) for the etch, which was perfect as always. World's most boring gutshot, I know, but I didn't take a picture before stuffing it in the box and all the components face downward. The graphics on the front aren't particularly special, either, but figured anyone who isn't impressed by a 1590A trivibe is just too hard to impress. ;D Just want to say after doing one of his layouts that Solderman is insane and I have a huge amount of respect that he is able to do circuits this complicated. I'm not very tempted to try another one of his more difficult layouts any time soon, though I guess I did learn some things about measuring better before drilling.  :-\

And Hamlet Delay #1, my new delay design. This one's a late Christmas present for my friend, Joseph Scala. He's the bassist in my band and also produced, engineered, and is-currently-mixing my new solo EP.

Poor Yorick! Finish is anodized orange, which looks especially great in person. I'll be doing a project thread soon-ish. I need to prototype the PCB (my first in Eagle!) and work out some other details. But my breadboard is free for more projects for the first time in weeks now!
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

nobodysweasel

So I recently realized that it would be a really great idea to have my wife hand paint my pedals.  I just finished this Proco Rat clone (following GGG project files), and, naturally, I had her paint a rat on it.  I'm really, really pleased with how it came out.