Behringer pedals out...

Started by brad, August 24, 2005, 03:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spudulike

... and there was me thinking the primary function of music is fun & entertainment ...

JimRayden

Quote from: spudulike... and there was me thinking the primary function of music is fun & entertainment ...

Go back watching MTV if you think like that. :P

I think making music is more about expressing yourself and it has more of a spiritual meaning than anyhting. Of course no one forbids you to have fun and earn money in the process.

Of course listening to music would have to be about recieving the expression of the musician and understanding it (and having fun in the process). But that's been transformed into just having fun.

----------
Jimbo

Mark Hammer

Danelectro puts out a wide variety of inexpensive budget-packaged pedals that increasing appear to often be clones of pedals that have existed for a while, or else used "canned" designs.  Whether making guitars for Sears using garbage wood and masonite, or Foxx Tone Machine Clones in cheap plastic boxes, what Danelectro did and continues to do is provide non-professionals with the sounds they want at prices they can afford.  What I find a little odd is that when Dano makes a Phase 90 clone, people go "Great!  Now I can afford one!", or when they make a Tone Machine clone, people say "Terrific!  Now I don't have to build one!".  Note that both of these pedals/designs are still in production somewhere else (well, the FTM is being reissued these days).  When Behringer makes an inexpensive non-pro clone of someone else's pedal, the reaction seems to be "Those lazy bastards!  Couldn't even bother to do their own R&D!".

A bit of a double standard in some ways, although there is one big difference between Behringer and Danelectro, which can be seen in the picture of Ton/Puretube holding up a "Vintage Phaser" next to a Small Stone.  While Danelectro was content to let the pedals be judged on their own sonic merits, and it took a bunch of us poking around inside pedals to even realize that the French Toast was an FTM, Behringer has gone to great lengths to as much as say "Eh?  Eh?  See the similarity?  Pretty damn good copy, eh?".  It's like the difference between someone who studies Rolex watches and makes a watch that uses their idea, vs the street vendor who sells "Rofex" watches loudly proclaiming that they look the same for a fraction of the price.

All of that unsavouriness aside, I don't see a huge problem with these pedals aslong as we think of them the way we think of Dano pedals - sounds good for the money, but I wouldn't want to take it out on the road.

stankyfish

Quote from: Mark HammerBehringer has gone to great lengths to as much as say "Eh?  Eh?  See the similarity?  Pretty damn good copy, eh?".  It's like the difference between someone who studies Rolex watches and makes a watch that uses their idea, vs the street vendor who sells "Rofex" watches loudly proclaiming that they look the same for a fraction of the price.

Yeah, I think that's exactly what the problem is -- it's the fact that it appears that Behringer's products flirt with being counterfeits rather than clones.  Capitalizing on Boss's reputation by copying the details of the appearance to sell pedals seems to be the sticking point.

spudulike

nooneknows

Quote from: Mark Hammerto even realize that the French Toast was an FTM

Doh. I didn't know it. ...I've got to try it.
BTW, do you know any other corrispondence beetween famous pedal and Danos? I have, for example, a Chiken Salad, or something with a name like that, that sounds pretty similiar to a rotovibe.

petemoore

Reading the LSA, license software agreement...
 It seems Yamaha has sold me sounds they hold the rights to...if that's possible.
 It looked like they are trying to hold the rights to anything published that uses those tones, like a music CD or whatever....
 =  [?] My instrument makes 'their' sounds...if I publish a recording using 'their' sounds [they sold me] they can claim rights to any money's made...
 Anyway it was a cursory, and unsavory read through...maybe I missed the intent completely ???
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

JimRayden

Quote from: bradI could never afford pedals when I was a youngster, and still don't have much to spend on them 10 years later!

What I don't understand is, if they're SMD, then there must be a lot of room left over in the enlosure.  That's why I can't wait to see a gut shot!

You'll propably find a PCB sized big enough to fill up the whole box and be used for all the pedals in the line. Like Ibanes's 7-series. That way they don't have to design and produce separate PCB's for each effect.

-----------
Jimbo

Bore-inger

just copy

aaronkessman

looks good enough to me. looks at least as sturdy as danos.

nelson

That looks crap.....

It looks like these cheap kids toys you can buy in newsagents here for 99p....

it should say on the pack "not suitable for children younger than 36 months"
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

puretube

Quote from: spudulike:roll:

spudu: you may not have noticed the pics of the "former" look of those pedals, when they first were publicly shown/advertised (tnx, Lurco!):

to me it looks like they learned their "don`t copy the look" -lesson,
and even done their homework... ALPS trimmers, double-sided epoxy-PCB...

Bore: do I see a TL064 and 7 diodes in the sig-path on the back-side?
btw: did you find those phaser schemos yet? (I`d love to peep in there, too)...

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: nelsonThat looks crap.....

Why?

The mainboard in the computer you're sitting behind right now is the same level or construction. If built up to the apparent standards you expect you woudn't have bought that computer because it's so expensive :wink:
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

JimRayden

Quote from: Dirk_Hendrik
The mainboard in the computer you're sitting behind right now is the same level or construction.

Exactly. The digital PC is supposed to have surface mount components etc. But we're talking about analog guitar pedals here.

I'm a DIY-er, I'll alway's stay loving hand wired pedals. I've had some bad experience with this "modern construction" they do on the new pedals.

For example, why can't they act normal and raise the price a few bucks and add a damn real stompswitch. I hate those tiny bastards in stompboxes. :P

----------
Jimbo

StephenGiles

Usual expected moans...........go on, save yourself some money, buy 2 or three!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

barret77

Quote from: Dirk_Hendrik
Quote from: nelsonThat looks crap.....

Why?

The mainboard in the computer you're sitting behind right now is the same level or construction. If built up to the apparent standards you expect you woudn't have bought that computer because it's so expensive :wink:

hey, speak for yourself. My computer is true Point to Point handwired. I don't even use a turret board. It's a brand new ENIAC.

:D

Aharon

I agree with Stephen........buy two or three and have fun.I got the GDI21 and I'm not disappointed,granted,my DIY GT2 sounds better but the GDI has a DI output and I did not have to work hard to make it.I think it was worth CAN$50.I'm going to buy a few more including the EQ.
Aharon

Mark Hammer

Looking at the trade show picture of all the pedals mounted to a board, my first reaction was "Aw jeez, couldn't they have at least rounded the foot treadle a bit so it didn't look exactly like the Boss pedals?".  Well the little slide show linked to by Bore-inger seems to indicate that final production models may have done just that.  You will note that the plastic chassis IS, in fact rounded towards the front, and generally not as angular as the Boss chassis.  I realize this is not as idiosyncratic a chassis as some of the Danelectro or Snarling Dogs or Roger Mayer boxes, but its a step in the right direction.  Construction looks generally sound to me.

vanhansen

I may try one or two of the Dano's.  Anybody that names a pedal after food is worth a look IMO.  Next think you know, we'll be able to have a pedal board that contains the ingredients for a pizza.  :D
Erik