Behringer pedals out...

Started by brad, August 24, 2005, 03:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

the plastic enclosures and crappy looking jacks put me off. Fair enough the board looks ok, but I bet they cheaped out on the switching too.

Much like the ibanez tonelok series I expect these switches to crap out in record time.

I am making no comment about sound quality.

they do look like kiddies toys.

I will have you know I have a  nothing but silver solder, 100% stripboarded PC made out of nothing but air dielectric capacitors and carbon comp resistors with germanium NOS semiconductors. The OS was written by monkeys at solid silver typewriters with mercury for blood living on a diet of japanese fish and methamphetamine. I dont use RAM  I use brain cells kindly "donated" by nobel prize winners.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Doug_H

(Sigh...) Time for me to haul out the Arion chorus story again...

From this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=34348&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

"Cheap plastic box with a battery door that won't stay on, pcb mounted plastic pots, friction mounted knobs falling off, cheap switch... Sooner or later you find out you got what you paid for. "

That's the story with this junk... If you're a working/semi-working musician I wouldn't bother with it unless you were going to re-box it into a suitable enclosure with suitable jacks, pots, and switch. Note that the jacks, pots, and switch are the most expensive parts of a pedal. It's probably simpler  (and maybe cheaper) to just build it from scratch and do it right, since we know what most of these are clones of anyway.

Doug

The Tone God

Quote from: nelsonThe OS was written by monkeys at solid silver typewriters with mercury for blood living on a diet of japanese fish and methamphetamine.

So you mean windows XP ?

Andrew

Dirk_Hendrik

Naturally they're cheaped out. The thing I wondered when thes fella's were announced is how they're going to influence the low end market and that  will probably knock a few player in that field out. Brands like Danelectro come to mind. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of this development. However, getting up full production with these pricetags is something that gets my respect.

Plastic casing... Aria/Arion was commented over that for years and thanks to Mike Landau we gradually see the pricetags for those chorusses rise.... All of a sudden the sonic qualities are judged and the plastic case is taken for granted.

And.
A decent footswitch.. come on! Figure that answer out yourself!
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

David

Quote from: The Tone God
Quote from: nelsonThe OS was written by monkeys at solid silver typewriters with mercury for blood living on a diet of japanese fish and methamphetamine.

So you mean windows XP ?

Andrew

No.  OS/2.

nelson

Quote from: Dirk_HendrikNaturally they're cheaped out. The thing I wondered when thes fella's were announced is how they're going to influence the low end market and that  will probably knock a few player in that field out. Brands like Danelectro come to mind. Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of this development. However, getting up full production with these pricetags is something that gets my respect.

Plastic casing... Aria/Arion was commented over that for years and thanks to Mike Landau we gradually see the pricetags for those chorusses rise.... All of a sudden the sonic qualities are judged and the plastic case is taken for granted.

And.
A decent footswitch.. come on! Figure that answer out yourself!

I have not made any comments on the sound qualities yet.

However if they are just clones which is very likely then surely we can build these with better build quality and tailored to our set up for round about the same price.

6 dollar enclosure 6 dollar switch 50 cent pots $1.50 jacks, components $5.

A tube screamer.

I for one think danelectro is a good effects company and has released some decent sounding Fx I wouldnt like to see them muscled out of their market position by these sheizters. Perhaps the overheads of an R & D dept are too much for the budget end of the market.

homogenized consumer culture is inevitable it seems. Even in the world of arts that seems to prize originality.

:cry:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

putrefusion

Quote from: bradI don't really mind about the whole "Behringer Steals Ideas" thing, because it's only natural for a market to seek the most efficient means of production and copy proven ideas.

Berhinger may be cheap, but they're also plastic.
Boss may cost a bit more, but they're also reliable.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

Spoken like an economist!  High-five!   8)
I'm Elmore James, bitch!

nelson

Quote from: putrefusion
Quote from: bradI don't really mind about the whole "Behringer Steals Ideas" thing, because it's only natural for a market to seek the most efficient means of production and copy proven ideas.

Berhinger may be cheap, but they're also plastic.
Boss may cost a bit more, but they're also reliable.

Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing.

Spoken like an economist!  High-five!   8)

I am more of an idealist, accepting the realities of the darwinian nightmare that is economics is another thing.

Functionalism is a lie.

:roll:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

brad

Quote from: Bore-ingerHow to dismantle an OD 100:

or click: http://putphoto.com/main.php?g2_view=slideshow:Slideshow&g2_itemId=160065

Thanks for taking the time to take those photos Mr. Bore-inger :lol:

Quote from: JimRayden
Quote from: Dirk_Hendrik
The mainboard in the computer you're sitting behind right now is the same level or construction.

Exactly. The digital PC is supposed to have surface mount components etc. But we're talking about analog guitar pedals here.

Don't worry, you can always put in some carbon comp SMD resistors  :shock:    :wink:   One disadvantage I can see with the SMD components is that they appear to be close to flush against the base-plate of the pedal.  There may not be enough clearance to solder normal parts on there, but it will make for some fun problem solving!  There looks like there's alot of room in the top of the enclosure for diode clipping switches, and you could probably mount a dip opamp on a bit of stripboard and connect it to the SMD side with a ribbon cable.

There is art in everything, including using my $9 soldering iron to turn a $20 mass produced pedal into something unique!  :o

nelson

Thats a beautiful sentiment Brad.

Thanks for that.

:)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

The Tone God

Quote from: DavidNo.  OS/2.

I belive OS/2 used these monkeys.

Andrew

CS Jones

behringer,
dano,
axl,
johnson,
out of work college sophomores who actually think "calvanism" is a threat to world security...

who cares.

...bring on the cheap gear. At the very minimum it will allow you to reverse a clone of a clone of a clone cheaply - provided your scrotum doesn't shrivel over smd.

The better story here is between  Jim and Spud.

I'm with Spud... (sorry Jim)

Quoteand there was me thinking the primary function of music is fun & entertainment

Argue pedals and politics all you want... but Spud, for me, has the last word.

This is fun...

This is entertainment...

or vice versa (whatever)...

throw in Spud's Big Green Bus and, well... it's over. There's nothing left to argue about.

Life is good.

Bring it on Behringer...

Pic size edited

EDIT 2 - Pics removed because of complaints :)
It's laughable how some of you young liberals can be so censoring and puritanical. Of course it's ok for you to be since you're so obviously correct in your morality. May the gods of your own self-justifying design strengthen you on your tireless crusade for the good.  :roll:

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: nelson
However if they are just clones which is very likely then surely we can build these with better build quality and tailored to our set up for round about the same price.

6 dollar enclosure 6 dollar switch 50 cent pots $1.50 jacks, components $5.

A tube screamer.

Indeed. This is correct for a DIY product. The factors which you forget are:
- Labour
- Production costs (from machinery to the rent of building)
- Packaging
- Transport cost
- The music store's profit
etc etc

This suggests that the production costs of a boringer pedal must be around 3 to 4 dollars. From that perspective (and only that one) Boringer has, in my opinion, done a very fine job.

Having said that....
- Chances are that Behringer uses it's other products to subsedize this product line and sells below the actual costs to gain market share.
- Salaries to the Chinese employees beiing at an absolute minimum without any stuff like building a pension, health security, being laid off when becoming an Union memer or even considering to do so...etc etc

And all that kind of stuff because the consumers of these products want the cheapest of the cheapest.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

JimRayden

Quote from: CS Jonesbehringer,
dano,
axl,
johnson,
out of work college sophomores who actually think "calvanism" is a threat to world security...

who cares.

...bring on the cheap gear. At the very minimum it will allow you to reverse a clone of a clone of a clone cheaply - provided your scrotum doesn't shrivel over smd.

The better story here is between  Jim and Spud.

I'm with Spud... (sorry Jim)

Quoteand there was me thinking the primary function of music is fun & entertainment

Argue pedals and politics all you want... but Spud, for me, has the last word.

This is fun...

This is entertainment...

or vice versa (whatever)...

throw in Spud's Big Green Bus and, well... it's over. There's nothing left to argue about.

Life is good.

Bring it on Behringer...

Too bad so many horny lil' brats think that way. :P

Ok ok don't ban me.

EDIT: Actually I agree on those pics. :P

----------
Jimbo

brett

Hi!  Wow, long thread.
First, let's not get too sexist here.  Nudity is good, sexism is bad IMO.

Second, it is surprising that everyone is focussing on these first issue pedals.  Chinese manufacturers have a repuatation for rapidly improving their products.  There's a story that an Australian businessman went to china with an expensive golf driver (worth say $300 wholesale, $500 retail).  They say it took the chinese experts just 2 days to bring him a prototype, which they could sell to him for $50.  Fantastic!  But he tried it out, and the head split in two.  Nobody in china plays golf (and very few people play guitars by the way), so they didn't understand the tremendous force on the head, and that it had to be cast in one part, not two.  Two days later he got the new, improved version.  

Maybe it's just a story.  In any case, I don't think that these will be the last of the Behringer pedals.

Quote- Salaries to the Chinese employees beiing at an absolute minimum without any stuff like building a pension, health security, being laid off when becoming an Union memer or even considering to do so...etc etc
Huh?  Getting sacked for wanting to join a union is what happens in the USA.  China is a communist, part-capitalist state where most factory and government workers get really good pensions, health cover, and ...get this... have GUARANTEED employent until retirement (generally around age 50!).  The salaries are low (think 10% of the USA or less), but the people are well looked after (better than poor people in the USA).

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Doug_H

[Beautiful babe picture omitted for brevity...]

Lord, Clay... Are those some of your groupies?  Can I try out for your band? Can I? Huh? Can I?....

(BTW, I agree this is all much ado about nothing. Politics Schmolitics... My only point is crap is crap. Have fun- buy all you want, but don't expect it to last through constant gigging. I've been tempted by that metal thing Tom posted about a few months ago, as well as the TS clone- hey maybe I'll finally see what the big deal about a TS is :lol: )

Doug

StephenGiles

Quoteout of work college sophomores who actually think "calvanism" is a threat to world security

Test - who according to Dick Gaughan was cured of Calvinism?????
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

CS Jones

Hey Doug, as a "shoegazer" player every now and then you look up, see something and just have to grab the camera. I thought it was funny actually.

Stephen. I'm going to guess he was referring to England in general.

Arguing economics/politics/religion/social theory etc. etc. with strangers over the internet? No mas.

StephenGiles

he was referring to John Muir:
http://www.nps.gov/jomu/qufacts.htm

Well.....there you go!!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

lowstar

Quote from: brettChina is a communist, part-capitalist state where most factory and government workers get really good pensions, health cover, and ...get this... have GUARANTEED employent until retirement (generally around age 50!).  The salaries are low (think 10% of the USA or less), but the people are well looked after (better than poor people in the US)
which little fairy told you that ? the only thing GUARANTEED in china is that you get into trouble when you try to access the wrong websites (sites about democracy, that is), and the GUARANTEED employment is the one in labour camps. until you die, that is.
effects built counter: stopped counting at 100