Source for non-Hammond type enclosures?

Started by skiraly017, August 16, 2005, 01:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

Looking for a Fulldrive style enclosure. Are they custom made or readily available? Thanks in advance.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

skiraly017

"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

aron

I haven't seen many ones like this. There used to be some sloped strong metal boxes that some people had long ago, but most of the newer boxes are thinner aluminum types.

wampcat1

There are boxes available from either mouser or digikey (made by hammond IIRC) that have sloping fronts and are halfway similar to the fulltone's but they are over $20/each I believe. Email Tim from tcjeffects.com though - he's found a supplier to build him very similar boxes for cheap, he may be willing to sell you a couple.

IIRC Fulltone has the boxes built for them.

Take care,
Brian

skiraly017

mojotron

There are some sheet metal shops around where I live, I've thought of asking them if they could cut me up some 16ga steel and bend it my self.. I wonder if anyone else has gone that route?

RickL

Several years ago I had a sheet metal shop cut and bend me up a bunch of EH style boxes in two different sizes. They were fairly light gauge but worked fine for me (I don't gig with my pedals). I got 30 or so boxes out of one sheet of metal (4'x4' I think) and he charged me about $4 a box.

Mark Hammer

The Hammond sloped front chassis are great.  I've used a number of them in different sizes.  They may seem like they're expensive, but a great many of them can easily accommodate 2 and even 3 effects, with plenty of room for stompin'.  In such instances, $20 spent on 3 effects actually isn't too bad a price on a per-effect basis.  The only thing I find awkward is that setting them up for drilling requires more planning out than is necessary for a cast aluminum chassis.  In their favour, they come prepainted in durable finishes.

I've made a couple of bent sheet-metal cases myself.  Being improvised, though, there was some filing and nips and tucks afterwards.  I'm curious as to whether anyone has made or has (legal) access to any blueprints or layouts for similar types of chassis.  In other words, an outline of the pieces as they need to be cut and where the bends go.