fuzz face issues

Started by jrem, September 06, 2005, 09:52:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrem

Hey to all:

Been surfing here for years, this is my first post.  I've also done extensive searches here (and elsewhere) prior to making this post.

I've breadboarded a fuzz face with a bunch of different transistors, the best sounding  (from my stock of tranny's) has been two 2N3904's, running about 118 and 130 gain (probably close to that as my resistors aren't exactly 2.2m and 2.472k or whatever).

So I have two questions:  

a) I can't find anything good or bad about building this circuit with 2N3904's.  I've been playing it though my Behringer Truth monitors, and it sounds okay, maybe a little buzzy but kind of cool anyways.  Buzzier than an MXR D+, but hendrixy all the same.  Thoughts / comments on those transistors in this circuit?

b) I soldered up the same circuit with new parts on perf board, and can't get the same results (I still have the breadboarded circuit to a/b against).  Close, but it sounds like the circuit saturates and goes buzzy when the notes ring out, like there is oscillation or stray capacitance making it go nutty.  Any ideas?  How critical is the layout  (my board is less than 1" square)?  Scoping w/a signal generator doesn't show much . . .

Thanks for any and all comments  . . .     John.