OT - some POD "mods"

Started by GFR, August 29, 2005, 09:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GFR

The link below

http://www.harmonicappliances.com/floorboard/floorboard.html

Doesn't have a schematic, but there's info on how each pin in Line6 Floorboard behaves. You can use it to design a DIY floorboard or to adapt the floorboard to control other stuff.

I found this a neat idea:

http://www.storm.ca/~rheslip/richsamp.htm
search for "October 2004 - POD AMP"

This guy built an amp cabinet with a built-in power amp so that he can "attach" his POD to it and it looks like a combo.

This is useful:

http://www.storm.ca/~rheslip/podmod.htm

a hack to add a "line-in" jack so that you can play along with a CD.

Paul Marossy

I've seen that "POD Amp" before. That is a pretty cool idea.  8)

GFR

I tried the floorboard stuff and most of it worked:

1) I was able to switch the tuner on/off but the tap tempo didn't work
2) Channel Select / Effects mode switching worked
3) channel a,b,c,d an bank up, down worked (also wha,EQ,chorus,drive,boost,reverb,delay on/off)

I didn't test the pedals (wha, volume).

I'm interested in building something like a wha/volume pedal. Like when you switch from wha to volume the switch would turn the wha on/off in pin 6 while swapping the control pedal from pin 2 to pin 4. With my midi pedalboard (X-15) I have a pedal assigned for wha and one for volume, but when the wha pedal moves (just a little) the wha turns on, and to turn it off I have to stomp twice at the switch I assigned to wha "bypass".

I got a couplke of 7-seg LED displays and 74164's and I'll try to read the leds now :)

Paul Marossy

QuoteWith my midi pedalboard (X-15) I have a pedal assigned for wha and one for volume, but when the wha pedal moves (just a little) the wha turns on, and to turn it off I have to stomp twice at the switch I assigned to wha "bypass".

You shouldn't have to step on the bypass switch twice for it to bypass, it should do it on the first try - mine does. Here's an idea: you could probably mod your wah pedal to be shut off using a 3PDT switch. Depending on the sensors they used - Optek or Sharp - there may only be three wires that could be switched  (I believe that the Optek sensors only have two or three wires). You could change the wah pedal to be on the left side and that way you would be breaking those wires at the end of the cable...

GFR

Quote from: Paul Marossy
You shouldn't have to step on the bypass switch twice for it to bypass, it should do it on the first try - mine does.

The bypass switch on the AR-15 sends a midi message to the pod, 0-63 turns wha off, 64-127 turns it on.

When I turn the wha on by stomping on the switch, the next time I stomp on it the wha is turnt off.

When the wha is toggled on automatically (when the wah pedal moves - on purpose or not) I have to stomp once to send an unnecessary "On" and then again to finally turn it off.

QuoteHere's an idea: you could probably mod your wah pedal to be shut off using a 3PDT switch. Depending on the sensors they used - Optek or Sharp - there may only be three wires that could be switched  (I believe that the Optek sensors only have two or three wires). You could change the wah pedal to be on the left side and that way you would be breaking those wires at the end of the cable...

Just breaking those wires makes the wha pedal not functional, but you still have to send a message to turn the wha off - so this switch would have to interact with the bypass switch somehow. I think just hooking up an expression pedal to the pod would be less messy :)

Besides - if you figure it out how the floorboard wha talks with the pod, instead of hooking a expression pedal, you could connect an enevelope follower, LFO, S/H... :) Also the tap tempo - you could use envelope to trigger it - auto-synched echo... :)

Paul Marossy

Ah, I see. I use mine with the SGX2000, so I guess it works a little different when used as a MIDI controller for another device.

That's a good point about breaking those wires, I wasn't thinking that all the way thru when I wrote that post...  :oops: