Neutrik vs. Switchcraft jacks - is there a difference?

Started by skiraly017, August 30, 2005, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

This may be a dumb question, but is there a difference in quality between these two (or any other for that matter)? Thanks for any info in advance.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

RandomRedLetters

the number of rated operation cycles in the spec sheets should give you an idea of which is better.

niftydog

beware that there are two types of neutrik jacks, there's the real ones and the cheap versions made by neutrik.

The "real" neutrik jacks (ie; the originals, not the cheap version of...) are IMO by far and away superior to Switchcraft jacks. Switchcraft is a swear word at my workplace!

Put it this way; the Australian Parliament House audio installations use Neutrik connectors exclusively.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

nelson

never tried switchcraft but have had a neutrik ended guitar cable for 5 years, medium use as good as new. Even survived a jack daniels fueled gig with an  audience of anti-nuclear protesters in a field across from a nuclear submarine base....eh yeah neutrik are the way to go.

:)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

wui223

Neutrik is famous for its jack and Canare for its cable. I have a stereo cable named Belden which is a good quality like the Canare as the sales person told me. I am going to buy a pair of Neutrik to make a complete cable. As far as i know, neutrik seems to be the best solution whenever come to cable stuffs. But i wonder, does a self-built cable would be better than all the famous cable: Monster cable etc ?

Dave_B

Quote from: wui223But i wonder, does a self-built cable would be better than all the famous cable: Monster cable etc ?
I won't get into the Monster cable debate, but the quality of homemade cables depends mostly on your ability to assemble them.  It's not hard if you can solder well.  I used two layers of heat-shrink tubing on mine and they've lasted for several years.  FWIW, I use Belden cable because it's easy to get and the quality has been fine.
Help build our Wiki!

wui223

Quote from: bellyflop
Quote from: wui223But i wonder, does a self-built cable would be better than all the famous cable: Monster cable etc ?
I won't get into the Monster cable debate, but the quality of homemade cables depends mostly on your ability to assemble them.  It's not hard if you can solder well.  I used two layers of heat-shrink tubing on mine and they've lasted for several years.  FWIW, I use Belden cable because it's easy to get and the quality has been fine.

Another Belden user, is it so great that u dont want to get a Monster cable? What phone jack u find to be the best for the penny u paid ?

sir_modulus

hey...let's not get heated shall we?

I'd say neutriks are better (from my experiance), but personally...I really like good well built cliff jacks...they're plastic I know...but still. They just feel...right to me. Besides...the smoother the jacks are (and the switchcraft ones and cliff ones are especially smooth), the easier they are on coated wires.

Cheers

Mark F

I just bought a bunch of Neutric jacks & Mogami cable from Redco Audio and I'm very satisfied with the quality. As far as Monster, well, I make my own guitar cables & Hi Fi interconnects & IMO they are far superior to Monster. Mogami Neglex for interconnects. I heard about Redco from a member of this forum. Sorry I can't remember who :oops: but thanks. I've been looking for a place to get small quantities of Mogami for many moons :) And it's at a very reasonable price. :)

Dave_B

Quote from: wui223Another Belden user, is it so great that u dont want to get a Monster cable? What phone jack u find to be the best for the penny u paid ?
I've never seen Monster Cables as anything more than hype.  To think they sell guitar cables that have specific "sonic characters" for rock, jazz, etc. is just not the kind of product I give much consideration.  

Still, if a friend of mine thinks his 'awesome' Sony/Bose setup sounds better with $160US in Monster cables, that's his business.  :D

Honestly, I just have a tough time believing they've stumbled onto some magic way of lowering capacitance (or whatever they claim) that Beldin or Canare hasn't also figured out for their premium products.  

Regarding plugs, I used Switchcrafts on the cords I made because I didn't know any different when I made them all those years ago.  I'll certainly try Neutrik's next time based on what I've read here.
Help build our Wiki!

DavidS

Anyone know of some empirical tests that have been done with the various high-end cables? I mean, capacitance per foot or whatever  isn't a matter of opinion... It can be measured.

Anyone?

wui223

Quantatively, i dunno what is the difference. But my luthier friend did told me, the difference btw good cable and the fine one will be audible enough. Even the sales person told me that his customers told him the samething. Which i believe is true, sooner or later i will buy the neutrik connector and make a 'GOOD' cable. Maybe i will record sound bytes to compare btw them.

aron

Are you guys talking about jacks or plugs??? Or both?

Mark F

Sorry! I bought Neutrik plugs to make cables. Judging by the quality of the plugs I wouldn't hesitate to buy jacks by Neutrik.

wui223

Sorry for the confusion, i am talking about mono phone plug which cost like USD$ 4 / piece which is quite pricey. But consider the quality, nothing can be said.

Connoisseur of Distortion

how would one lower the capacitance? the best way i can think of is to place a second braid inside the cable, and not have it connect to anything. it would have to build charge between the hot and second braid, then between the second braid and shield.

this is obviously waaaay too messy for practical use. any other ideas?

wui223

What is braid? i am kinda weak in English. And can anyone show me some pic of a shielded wire? i fail to buy it at my local store

skiraly017

Quote from: aronAre you guys talking about jacks or plugs??? Or both?

I have no idea how this became a cable/plug thread.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

sir_modulus

Whenever you mention the word neutrik...it becomes a cable thread too... 8)

Cheers,

Nish

P.S. I'm not a fan of monster...but I do buy things like planet waves cables because of the lifetime warranty (They replace the cables....free....forever...and my local store is an authorized seller etc..., so I just bring it there!)

trjones1

Quote from: Connoisseur of Distortionhow would one lower the capacitance? the best way i can think of is to place a second braid inside the cable, and not have it connect to anything. it would have to build charge between the hot and second braid, then between the second braid and shield.

this is obviously waaaay too messy for practical use. any other ideas?

I'm going to be making cables out of a wire with two center conductors and a shield.  I had been planning on connecting both of the centers to the tip of the plug, but are you saying it would be better to leave one conductor unconnected to break the capacitance?

Just looking for clarification.