Neutrik vs. Switchcraft jacks - is there a difference?

Started by skiraly017, August 30, 2005, 04:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dosmun

I prefer the Neutrik Jacks over the Switchcraft.  The Neutrik's are about half the price and are heavier duty.  The contacts are stiffer than Switchcraft so you don't have to worry about accidentally unplugging them.

aron

I will try the Neutrik but from my experience, I try to use Switchcraft jacks, because they have always worked for me and I trust them. Everytime I try something else, the darn jack acts up and then I wish I had put in a Switchcraft.

I think most of the plugs are also designed to work with Switchcraft ( no proof), just that when I use other brands, sometimes the plug will not fit correctly, but when I plug it into the Switchcraft, it always seems to make a good connection.

Melanhead

Quote from: aronAre you guys talking about jacks or plugs??? Or both?

That's what I was thinking .... :)

... Neutrik plugs for guitar cables and switchcaft jack for pedals is what I've been doing.

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Melanhead

... Neutrik plugs for guitar cables and switchcaft jack for pedals is what I've been doing.
+1  :)

Brett Clark

About 20 feet from where I am sitting is a Fender amplifier that was made over 50 years ago (sadly, it isn't mine). It's not a "closet find" piece - it has been USED for 50 years. The original Switchcraft open-frame jacks still work fine.

On the other hand, when I used to do warranty repair work for several major brands, I replaced MANY "modern design" jacks (several brands) on equipment less than a year old.

Cabezahead

Quote from: gaussmarkov
Quote from: Melanhead

+1  :)

yeah.  Haven't had malfunction with either.

-CH

jaysg

I've never been able to find a jack that didn't give me grief on my Vox Wah.  It's always the first in line and no matter how new and clean, I still get crackles.  It's really the problem of the first jack on a pedal board.  The rest aren't seeing any movement.  Any recommendations on that ?

troubledtom

Quote from: aronI will try the Neutrik but from my experience, I try to use Switchcraft jacks, because they have always worked for me and I trust them. Everytime I try something else, the darn jack acts up and then I wish I had put in a Switchcraft.

I think most of the plugs are also designed to work with Switchcraft ( no proof), just that when I use other brands, sometimes the plug will not fit correctly, but when I plug it into the Switchcraft, it always seems to make a good connection.

aron, is use Neutrik , 0 failures in 7 yr's
         - tom :wink:

Ed Rembold

Kobiconn makes clones of Switchcraft plugs and jacks,
and they are junk/cheap, but alot of people use them.

When talking about Neutrik jacks,
are we refering to the all nylon ones?

If so, they must be pcb mounted to stay put, then mounted to the box.
Installing them in-a-box, "switchcraft-style" is asking for trouble.

Ed R.