[OT] Paia MS-Mic build report, pic

Started by transient, September 01, 2005, 07:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

transient

Pic first :

I needed a proper mic for a long time, but the mics like SM57 are way too expensive here (~200$). Then i saw the MS Mic kit at the Paia website, there's an impressive demo recording there. It was relatively cheap too, so i ordered it.

Building was easy. Being a perf-guy, this was the first time i've built something on a PCB. It's really easy and fast, as you don't have to worry about the layout. A detailed step-by-step building instructions paper comes with the kit, and it's easy to follow.

The only thing i've done different is to use all metal film resistors instead of the carbon films that came with the kit.

It was built and working after a few hours. I thought something was wrong at first: when i tapped on one of the side mics, i could hear sound from both left and right sides (instead of the side i tapped on). Then after reading about how the MS technique works, i understood that it was normal for the mic to act that way.

Because of how the technique works, the mic "sees" the source at fully left/right *only* when the source is at equal distance to the mid mic and one of the side mics (=at horizontally 45 degrees to the mic). The sound moves towards the center when the source moves away from this 45 degrees area.

Anyway, the mic sounds good. It picks the sound as it is, without coloration. As a benefit of the MS technique, there are no phase effects, and the sound is mono compatible. The stereo effect isn't immediately noticable, but it's there.

The mic's highly sensitive though, as it has 3 condenser mic elements. Easily picks up all the relatively-quiet sounds in the room, including the computer fan noise :D

emre

Sam

Nice... From where do you order this kit? I'd love to try it out.
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

Sam

"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews