HELP: WHat is the proper replacement 4 a CE-5 BBD IC chips?

Started by ultradust, September 06, 2005, 01:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gez

Quote from: ultradustHow to do the "reflowing method"? :roll:

Heat your iron up, 'wet it' with a little solder then reheat all the joints of the chip.  The object isn't to add any more solder, just to reheat the existing joints until they melt, then remove the tip and leave to cool.

Each joint should just take a second or so, don't hold the iron there for hours on end!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Perhaps Boss had a **** load of NOS in the warehouse?  Or they've been digging in dumpsters for Karaoke machines!!  :P
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

vanhansen

Quote from: TheBigManAnybody bought a CH-1 recently either?  Also BBD based, at least it was.  :?:

I have a CH-1.  Not sure exactly how old it is since I bought it used but it's in great shape and looks to possibly be a few years old.  Last time I had it open I poked around and it looks to still be BBD based.  It has a MN3101 and MN3007 in it according to the schematic I have dated 2002.
Erik

smallbearelec

The MN3007 has been, up to now, one of the easier obsolete BBDs to score on the broker market. If, indeed, BOSS is taking advantage of this, I gotta make sure that I have all I need before the MN3007s go the way of the MN3005. Though I have to agree with Mark: It strikes me as incredible that a mass-marketer like Roland would design a pedal around a chip that is known to be obsolete.

SD

Fret Wire

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.comHow did you come up with that? it seems rather unorthodox... Something like voodoo magic... or is there any scientific ground on which that 'freeze test' is based on?
I'm just very curious.
Fp
It's a common electronic troubleshooting method to isolate intermittant component failures.
You can usually find freeze sprays where they sell dusters and compressed air.
http://shop.kiesub.com/Detail.bok?no=372

For fx, most of us use a DMM or Audio Probe. For certain types of electronic equipment, it's an invaluable test. :)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

QuoteIt strikes me as incredible that a mass-marketer like Roland would design a pedal around a chip that is known to be obsolete.

I'm surprised that is not common knowledge.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Khas Evets

QuoteThough I have to agree with Mark: It strikes me as incredible that a mass-marketer like Roland would design a pedal around a chip that is known to be obsolete.

The CE-5 has been around for over 15 years and is marketed as the sucessor to the CE-2. Was the MN3007 scarse in 1990? If there's one thing Boss did well, it was the chorus. They probably didn't want to mess with a good thing.

wui223

I have been searching for 10~20 shops in my area and i finally found one old shop which still have a number of MN3007 and other "rare" chips in stock. I am gonna buy them all sooner or later. Anyone would give a list of obsolete items to be stored up?

puretube

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.comFor some reason I find it hard to believe. But that's just me. I'm a bit sceptical.

Just how much heat can be build up in an MN3007 to make it not work?

Sorry, to me it doesn't make sense.

Fp

In my working hours Freeze spray and a heat gun are standard tools on my desk. Very often these help to determine a which semiconductor is faulty. A lot of these cases eventually end up at the parts supplier and are traced back to stuff like leakage (as in resistance where there should be none) on silicon level as well as poor bonding wire (the internal wires going from IC leads to the chip wafer) connection to the wafer.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

ultradust

Here in the philippines there is still a lot of of BBD's still left especially the MN3207/MN3007 n MN3102/MN301 even the JRC 4558 here is abundant. Price range is about less than $1.00 each. Coz there's a lot of electronic parts store here. I mean lots of it... I believe they were really old stocks as there's so few who knows how to mod their Pedals here so they don't really know the real value of it and doesn't know where to use it for therefore leaving it all in the store. Sad to say I'm not that good in electronics. :(

vanhansen

Anybody up for a quick trip to the Phillipines?  There's gold in them there islands.  :lol:
Erik

wui223

Quote from: ultradustHere in the philippines there is still a lot of of BBD's still left especially the MN3207/MN3007 n MN3102/MN301 even the JRC 4558 here is abundant. Price range is about less than $1.00 each. Coz there's a lot of electronic parts store here. I mean lots of it... I believe they were really old stocks as there's so few who knows how to mod their Pedals here so they don't really know the real value of it and doesn't know where to use it for therefore leaving it all in the store. Sad to say I'm not that good in electronics. :(

I am in Malaysia, can u buy some of the parts for me? I will pay for the shipping as well. Let me know if u can lend a helping hand. Thanks

ultradust

Quote from: wui223
Quote from: ultradust
I am in Malaysia, can u buy some of the parts for me? I will pay for the shipping as well. Let me know if u can lend a helping hand. Thanks

Let me see what I can do... Let me check the stores first... Btw, what parts do you specifically need???

guitar_199

Yup.  When I got out of school in '77 I went to work at the space center in the Shuttle Mission Simulators.  I've fixed many many a board using freeze spray.  It can come in handy sometimes.

1dallek1

It is 2018; mn3007 and mn3101 are available from china in abundance. The ce-5 uses both the mn3101 and mn3007. Freeze spray is one of many tools used, if a chip is damaged internally the shrinking and expansion process can temporarily regaling the damaged chip for diagnostic purposes? I have a failed attempted mod that clearly fed back and damaged the mn3007, for Christ's sake use a scope and note what is going in on pin 3 and coming out of pins 7 and 8? You people put together a bad showing here with this nonsense. I appreciate the original post as I have the same odd sound but while "farting" is useful, the noise is a steady droning oscillation. With or without signal the effect knob controls the volume of the noise. The effect side is out, clearly and as the bias trim is locked adjusting it especially without a scope is ridiculous and boss uses a standard mn3010/mn3007 combination, they hardly invented it and it is included with the mn3007 or mn3101 chip datasheet?  I love the one where someone poses the idea the pedal has in incorrectly placed mn3007, that one gets the stupid prize!

bloxstompboxes

I love how you come to a 13 year old thread and comment on how stupid you think people are, when many here are just hobbyists without the money to buy a scope and don't have the wisdom and vocabulary yet to properly explain oscillations, or whatever. Most don't have any formal electronics training and are visiting this site for a little help and to learn. You insult one of the most respected people in the diy community who has done nothing but devote a lot of his time to helping people. Insulting him and others is no way to help people. You have 3 posts since you registered in 2010 and in no way, have you shown any great knowledge or wisdom for the world to stand in awe of your glory. You boast that China has so many BBDs for people to buy without worry. But you either don't know or fail to mention that many of those sold are fakes or are duds that didn't make the cut. Mark Hammer, Francisco Pena, and Steve Daniels have done a lot for the community. From offering help and support, to selling confirmed and pre-checked components and PCBs at reasonable prices.

Please go back to just lurking in the background and offering no help to others if you have nothing helpful and nice to say.

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

ElectricDruid

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on July 04, 2018, 10:37:59 AM
Please go back to just lurking in the background and offering no help to others if you have nothing helpful and nice to say.

+1 agree. Your post was unnecessary and rude, 1dallek1.

bluebunny

• SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

100% Eric...

this is a 'friendly' diy community who are more than happy to give their time and extensive knowledge to

help others....that's what it is all about. and why it is the best diy forum ever.... 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//