Which wah-inductor??

Started by Fumi SG, September 08, 2005, 11:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fumi SG

Hi,

I'm going to build my own wah-pedal, but I was wondering which inductor would be best. I want to build a Crybaby clone so I thought about the new Fasel (I heard they're not as good as the old ones??), but I also thought about the normal Dunlop inductor or the Halo replica.

What will be the difference in sound between the inductors?? And what's the difference between the red Fasel en the yellow one??

Thanks, Ruben.

LoudGreg

I modded my crybaby to switch between three Inductors. Fulltone, Dunlop Fasel Red, & Yellow.

To my ears the Fulltone is the best all around. Nice full range and no harshness. The differences are very subtle but I'll do my best to describe what I hear.

Dunlope Red - is more geared towards screaming rock. Has nice high end sound to it. Really love hitting the highs with this one. No harshness.  

Dunlope Yellow - is smoother and mellower but still a killer rock sound. I would use this inductor for cleaner amp settings.

The Fulltone is kind of in between both the Red & the Yellow but has I think more detail to it's sound in both the highs & lows. But doesn't get as agressive as the Red (it's close)

The way my switching system works is I have two DPDT switches on the side. One switch is for the switching on Fulltone Inductor or to the Other DPDT switch. The  other DPDT switch is for either the Dunlop Red or Yellow. I have a great time just switching inductors on the fly while playing. But just to warn you. There is no dramatic difference the average person will hear while your switching the inductors. You will feel and hear the difference. And for me it's like I have three wah's in one.

I have a switching system for the Transistors as well. Only I need to use 3PDT switches instead of DPDT. I strongly suggest using BC109B Transistors.      

Hope that helps.
Guitar player not a tech............

97STRATDELUXER

The Fulltone inductors are no longer available and the ones that are I see fetching about $55 now....I've been using the Aerial "Halo" 67 Clyde Clone inductor from Banzai Effects in Germany..They are $28 each but I like them as much as the Fulltone and I've modded alot of wahs over the years...

After these 2,I Like the Red Fasel,but it's my last choice!

Fumi SG

Thanks! It helped a lot.

I think I'm going for the red Fasel, since I play rock/hardrock/metal most of the time. But I do like a bit of funk too. I tried an original Crybaby once (a realy old one) and it had a nice funky sound to me, and it had the red Fasel! :D

Thanks again! :wink:

petemoore

After reading and changing to a Y Fasel, I think all the 'good' inductors are great, the one that came stock wasn't, the fasel kicked the case off it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

I like the Yellow Fasel myself, at least in my Boomerang clone.  8)

Fumi SG

Quote from: Paul MarossyI like the Yellow Fasel myself, at least in my Boomerang clone.  8)

What do you like about your Yellow Fasel??

vanessa

I agree with Loudgreg to an extent. The Fulltone to my ears is in the middle of the red and the yellow. It has some of the bass of the yellow and some of the highs of the red. I have found that by adjusting the sweep cap a bit that the red is the winner hands down. The fulltone just can't get the highs like the red can. But with a sweep cap adjustment the red can get the fulltone bass and still preserve the highs.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Fumi SG
Quote from: Paul MarossyI like the Yellow Fasel myself, at least in my Boomerang clone.  8)

What do you like about your Yellow Fasel??

I dunno exactly, it just sounds good with the Boomerang circuit. If I were to put it into one of my CryBabys, my opinion might be different. In the Boomerang circuit, it sounds pretty fat and smooth, not harsh or nasally at all.

nero1985

i read SLASH (guns n roses - velvet revolver) uses a Dunlop Rack Wah for live shows but for the studio he uses a Dunlop Classic Wah with the red inductor, in my opinion he has the best wah sound ive ever heard, his wah just TALKS!

Paul Marossy

Part of the wah sound is the operator, you know.  :wink:

Fumi SG

ghehe... That's the sound I'm looking for!! I'm sure, I'll take the Red Fasel! :D

formerMember1

Hi nero1985!

I too like Slash's wah tone, but be careful, because he just started using the new Crybaby Classic on his new album with VR.  His wah tone in GnR was great too, But they are different.  I am building my own wah, probably won't be done for a few months since i got alot of other things i need to do/finish first. But i have a Aeril Halo inductor from Banzai that i am gonna use.  I have a Crybaby classic with red fasel and that wah does sound WAY better than the GCB-95 wahs,  the Crybaby Classic wah has a good tone for Slash and other 80's music.  I am probably going to sell the Crybaby Classic if my wah i build is better.(probably)

Oh yeah, I changed the pot in the Classic to a Fulltone and thought the sound was more vintage and vocal.  But it lost it's tone for "Slash's music," compared to the stock sound. :wink: