Tone Pad Phase 90 Is The First Pedal I Couldn't Make Work?

Started by 97STRATDELUXER, September 10, 2005, 03:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97STRATDELUXER

I've built a ton of pedals,every one has worked on the first try...This Phase 90 just totally boggled my mind though...Nothing I did ever made this pedal work...I took all the components off of the board and called it a day...I'll just buy a Phase 90 and tweak on it... :lol:

ninoman123

I think the layout from tonepad.com is incorrect. I read in a thread somewhere that the FETs are backwards or something like that. Try doing a search of it and see what you can come up with. I know people have gotten this layout to work but I dont think it shows it right on tonepad.

97STRATDELUXER

Quote from: ninoman123I think the layout from tonepad.com is incorrect. I read in a thread somewhere that the FETs are backwards or something like that. Try doing a search of it and see what you can come up with. I know people have gotten this layout to work but I dont think it shows it right on tonepad.

Yes...I tryed reversing the transistors...Tryed using both 2N5952s and 5985s and still couldn't get it to work? The board tracings are so close on this circuit board.Even though I looked closely at every tracing,I'm sure I soldered across 1 tracing and that's why the pedal wouldn't work..I pulled all of the components off of the board and I'll use the switch,LED,jacks,etc..for another project...I could always buy the Phase 90,though I thought it would have been a cool pedal to build.I Like the looks of the "Build Your Own Clone"board for this project.Oh well.. :oops:

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

The layout is verified and correct. I know of a few dozen people have built it successfully.

The issue about the FETs is that some FETs have their pinout reversed from the layout. But others match. I decided to label the "GATE" pad, so that the builder must notice that it must match the FETs pinout he/she is using to the G pad.

You should check the pinout of your FETs, also, matching is VERY important. And there will be times when it will work only on a very narrow area of the trimpot's rotation.

I hope that helps.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

petemoore

Cheking for a voltage sweep on the LFO.
 Also checking opamp voltages.
 PHase 90 was a trickster for me to build on perf, there are alot of them around.
 Phasers on perf that don't work can be a pain in the neck for a while.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

97STRATDELUXER

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.comThe layout is verified and correct. I know of a few dozen people have built it successfully.

The issue about the FETs is that some FETs have their pinout reversed from the layout. But others match. I decided to label the "GATE" pad, so that the builder must notice that it must match the FETs pinout he/she is using to the G pad.

You should check the pinout of your FETs, also, matching is VERY important. And there will be times when it will work only on a very narrow area of the trimpot's rotation.

I hope that helps.

Fp

I'll either get the Phase 90 off E Bay or I'll get ahold of the Phase 90 board from Build Your own Clone..His boards look the best of any boards I'm seeing...I Pulled all of the components off on this board,tested,and bagged the parts up..Thanks for the posts...Onward to other pedal projects..