LM3886/Vox SS Amp Thread(w/ Samples!)

Started by RDV, September 17, 2005, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDV

Quote from: Joecool85 on February 17, 2006, 03:57:39 PM
You got me there, I haven't built one yet.  But I do like overkill  :icon_twisted:
It would assure you of not having any PS sag.

RDV

Joecool85

Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com

RDV

Quote from: Joecool85 on February 17, 2006, 05:17:00 PM
On yours or mine?
I mean using a large VA rated transformer assures one of not losing power when cranked.

I'm listening to my subamp with a 96VA at a very reasonable volume and I don't hear anything resembling sag or distortion caused by it. I always have the option of a larger transformer.

I've had stereos had were supposedly around 400 watts that didn't have half the transformer that I'm running here on what is probably not quite 200 watts in all. I have at least 1 VA per watt of output and until that proves to not be good enough it will remain.

RDV

RDV

I must have been pretty successful with my amps because I have become extremely unpopular here at my house. I need a shop I can just move into. I'll just come over here to shower.

Yeah.

RDV

RDV

LAST INSTALLMENT
On This Thread

I finished my sub cabinet last night and it came out well. Nice tight bass without too much woofer excursion. Matches well with the rest of the system. The crossover worked out well also, there's almost no high end content at all.

I got a 200 watt computer now.
50 watts a side(stereo LM3886 amp) to rebuilt(by me) 6 ohm near field monitors with 6.5" woofers and 3/8" dome tweeters.
100 watts(paralleled mono LM4780 amp) to a 4 ohm 12" sub in a 17" X 17" X 13.5" DIY sealed cabinet.

Theses are real RMS watts, not "advertised" watts.

I've got one more LM3886 and a 56VA transformer, but I don't know what I'd use it for so it may sit awhile.

Goodbye Everybody!
Have A Happy Life.
It looks like brighter days ahead for everyone on the planet.

RDV

DougH

Bumped in remembrance of Ricky.

This was a very cool thread about a Vox preamp and SS amp he built. This was the "Ricky thread" I was searching for. There are a lot of great ideas in here, some things I was going to play with and never got around to.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Brymus

Thanks for digging this out.
RDV was a big help over at SS guitar as well.
Helping people with their "chip amp" builds.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience