Is it illegal to 'copy the fulldrive 2'?

Started by wampcat1, October 28, 2004, 01:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilby

If you head off to the Mahogany Rush website and look at "Ask Frank" there is an interesting entry about the Fulltone Deja Vibe (which Mr Marino is credited with using).

I mention this only because although I have heard of Frank Marino I have never heard anything by him and there was a link in a later posting and took a quick look (well a long slow look actually).

Regards,

Rob...

Asia = Large island off the USAs West coast, used as the testing area for dumb goverment ideas.

The Tone God

Quote from: RDVI just want to say that sometimes in print people can come off as assholes, but be perfectly reasonable people in person. I have had to do some heavy learning since I started foruming about how to NOT come off as a prick. I sometimes fail.

That statement offended me...you prick. :lol:

Andrew

Torchy

One question - why do you need to mention the fulldrive at all in your ad anyway ? I assume your mod is to make the SD1 simply sound better, or did you set out with the intention of copying the fulldrive sound ? If the latter then the man has a point. Sounds like you're trying to make a buck off the back of his name ...

I actually dont care if this causes offence but stop being such a prick about it. Check out ZV's site and find where he compares his gear to other people's. Barber direct drive, Xotic AC/RC Boosters, etc etc ... dont use other 'names' to sell their products. They stand on their own. The hypocrisy on this forum boils my piss at times.

:roll:  :oops:  8)  :lol:

RDV

Quote from: The Tone GodThat statement offended me...you prick. :lol:
You're not the first deity I've offended!

:shock:

RDV

puretube

wouldn`t: "make the SD1 sound better" be like tryin` to make a buck off of that name?...  :?

The Tone God

Quote from: RDVYou're not the first deity I've offended!

LOL. So I've heard. ;)

Andrew

Torchy

Quote from: puretubewouldn`t: "make the SD1 sound better" be like tryin` to make a buck off of that name?...  :?

Jeez, the guy is modding the SD1 to start with so its hardly a valid point.

Not having a pop at you, tube, but I'm just pissed off with all the ethical bullshit going down here and elsewhere like "its ok to post a full pdf of how-to-clone-the-fulldrive" and then 3 posts down someone gets flamed for offering a ZV schem. Why are some people's work sacrosanct and others are fair game ? Mr Fuller rightfully defends the use of his tradename and the wankers come out of the woodwork to call him insulting names. I have never met the guy, but I have tried his pedals and like 'em (especially the vibes). I love ZV's work as well and there are others.

I really do not see what the whining is about. Follow the law or STFU. But what do I know, I just play ...

cd

Quote from: Torchy
Not having a pop at you, tube, but I'm just pissed off with all the ethical bullshit going down here and elsewhere like "its ok to post a full pdf of how-to-clone-the-fulldrive" and then 3 posts down someone gets flamed for offering a ZV schem.

Thats in the spirit of the board.  ZV and other builders have their schems floating around, but they have come onto the board and specifically requested that they don't want them posted, and people on the board respect that request.  AFAIK Fuller has never done any such thing.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I don't think anyone has answered my question as to whether the mod in question was originated by Mike Fuller. Anyone know?? it's tragic that people spend their lives trying to work out the order of the various versions of Shakespeare's plays and ignore distortion mods. Priorities!!

Gilles C

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I don't think anyone has answered my question as to whether the mod in question was originated by Mike Fuller. Anyone know??

That's the part I don't get...

From what I know, Brian always used his ears to mod boutique pedals, including the last one, a Boss OD-1 modded to sound like a F*****.

He did not use the same parts that M.F. used for the F******* etc...

It would have been the same problem if he had used an original design to get the same sound. M.F. doesn't want people to use his trademark, period.

Well, that's how I understand it.

What about the pedals that are copies of some boutique pedals, but don't mention the original names?

Is it more legal?

I really don't know. I know it's two different things. But what would say a lawyer?

Gilles

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Ge_Whiz

mlabbee

Quote from: Gilles C
Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)I don't think anyone has answered my question as to whether the mod in question was originated by Mike Fuller. Anyone know??

That's the part I don't get...

From what I know, Brian always used his ears to mod boutique pedals, including the last one, a Boss OD-1 modded to sound like a F*****.

He did not use the same parts that M.F. used for the F******* etc...

It would have been the same problem if he had used an original design to get the same sound. M.F. doesn't want people to use his trademark, period.

Well, that's how I understand it.

What about the pedals that are copies of some boutique pedals, but don't mention the original names?

Is it more legal?

I really don't know. I know it's two different things. But what would say a lawyer?

Gilles

Not being specific to this problem, I think you can boil down the applicable legal rules to this:

Reverse engineering and posting schematics is legal, even if the circuit is patented (patent only restricts making, using, selling or offering to sell).

Absent patents, reverse engineering and using circuits is legal in virtually every case, unless you directly copy someone's PCB, which would be a copyright infringement.

Using someone else's trademark in your advertising is legal as long is it is clear that you are not trading on their name.  It helps to have disclaimers noting that the mark in question is someone else's property.

Dilution is only relevant when the mark in question is a notorious mark (i.e., VERY well known, like Coke.  I would venture to say the only "notorious" marks in music are Fender, Gibson and a few other really big names).

Gilles C

Thanks for the clear answer.

That concludes it for me.

8)

puretube

Quote...I would venture to say the only "notorious" marks in music are Fender, Gibson and a few other really big names)...
like: //www.blitzwire.de  :?:

(for those skilled in the arts of clonation... :P )

more on this issue in the following thread:
http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=25039&start=195

swt

long thread for so little...why would you want to clone something like the f***drive if there are so many greats ckts that some people are proud to share, free on the net, that sounds even better than any f***tone, like the rog emulations or reamer??. Don't be surprise if the next topics involve something like protecting ckts like these or doug's or bsiabs from major brands...