OT, maybe useless transformer trivia

Started by brett, October 06, 2005, 06:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

Hi.  One for the filing cabinet, I think.
Took a transformer out of a microwave the other day (it was at the tip.  THere's always lots of microwaves at the tip for some reason).
It turns out ( :icon_wink:) that it gives 2 x 1000V from 240V in (Australia).  At 850 watts   :icon_twisted:  That's 3 amps on the primary and almost an amp on the secondaries.  Far out! 
Anyway, the turns ratio is about 1:4.  I presume that in the US it's still 1000V out, but 120V in, or 1:8.

So what use is that?  I dunno, yet.
Maybe turn it around, for a 240V in:60V out transformer for a solid state amp??

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

JimRayden

But oh boy that'll have to be a huge SS amp, because you don't want to waste any of the tranny's power capabilities.

Taking that same transformer and using it in the US would give about +-500V and that'll be pretty good for big tube amps. Though after rectification, you'll have to drop it quite a lot.

------------
Jimbo

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

60V is about right for welding.. there are plenty of "build a welder from some old microwave transformer" sites on the net, for people who havn't managed to kill themselves any other way.
Grab those old microwaves when you can, a lot of work is going into doing away with the transformers. (there is about $2 of materials in there..)

Hal

im super surprised that microwaves still use linear transformers.  I expected them to somehow use switch-mode supplies, or some variation...