Email Notification of Replies To A Post?! Not me.

Started by Paul Marossy, September 27, 2005, 05:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.P.

Analogue Signal Processing

vanhansen

Paul,

What are your settings for these:

Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email.
  Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply.
  Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.
  When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please don't reply to these emails.)

For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of:

I have all of them checked and the last one is set to "Moderation only if I started the topic".

I get notifications just fine but I have to be logged in and read the threads in order for the system to know that it is ok to send another notification.  You have to read it while logged in or post a reply for the notification, guest reading it does not count.

If you go to the link in the upper left, "Show new replies to your posts.", are there any threads there?
Erik

Paul Marossy

Quote from: vanhansen on October 04, 2005, 10:54:58 AM
Paul,

What are your settings for these:

Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email.
  Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply.
  Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.
  When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please don't reply to these emails.)

For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of:

I have all of them checked and the last one is set to "Moderation only if I started the topic".

I get notifications just fine but I have to be logged in and read the threads in order for the system to know that it is ok to send another notification.  You have to read it while logged in or post a reply for the notification, guest reading it does not count.

If you go to the link in the upper left, "Show new replies to your posts.", are there any threads there?

Here are my current settings:

"Receive forum announcements and important notifications by email" checked
"Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply" unchecked (per Aron's suggestion)
"Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" checked
"When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email (but please don't reply to these emails.)" checked

"For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of:" Replies and Moderation

I have eleven topics which I am suscribed to since yesterday, and I am still not getting anything! BTW, at the old forum, I didn't have to be online or even logged in to receive email notifications. Does this forum require both?! If so, that is really lame.  :icon_confused:

EDIT: I have only received one email notification and absolutely none after that.

EDIT#2: On the "Show new replies to your posts" thing, there are 34 pages of threads there.

A.S.P.

vanhansen

Quote from: Paul Marossy on October 04, 2005, 11:11:48 AM

EDIT#2: On the "Show new replies to your posts" thing, there are 34 pages of threads there.

Here's your problem, I think.  The system thinks you have not viewed any replies to your posts.  Click on the "Mark As Read" or "Mark All Read" button on the right and that should reset things.

I know it seems lame that you have to be logged in but it's a minor inconvenience in exchange for an awesome search function.  :icon_biggrin:
Erik

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe system thinks you have not viewed any replies to your posts.  Click on the "Mark As Read" or "Mark All Read" button on the right and that should reset things.

I see what you are suggesting, and that would make sense. However, I do not have an option to "Mark All Read".
But, I did click the "Mark As Read" box. I don't know if that did anything, though...

A.S.P.

so Paul does get PMs,
and the ones he sends,
do arrive!

did you get an email, telling you the PM arrived,
or did you look into your box because I told you in this thread?
or did a window pop up on the forum-screen?

vanhansen

Quote from: Paul Marossy on October 04, 2005, 11:36:48 AM
QuoteThe system thinks you have not viewed any replies to your posts.  Click on the "Mark As Read" or "Mark All Read" button on the right and that should reset things.

I see what you are suggesting, and that would make sense. However, I do not have an option to "Mark All Read".
But, I did click the "Mark As Read" box. I don't know if that did anything, though...
It should have cleared every thread that was in there out and say "No messages" or something like that.  You basically marked all replies to your posts as read.  Now, if you are still subscribed to any of those threads in your profile, then you should get a notification that a new reply was posted, like from this one.
Erik

Paul Marossy

I think the problem may be my email adress. It's currently psalmist@att.net - I tried to send an email from my work station to my personal email address and I did not get it. I did try psalmist@worldnet.att.net and that did work, however. Do me favor? Reply to this post and I'll see if that does anything.

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: DOH! I spoke too soon - I just got the other email. But it seemed to take a lot longer. There might be something here, though.

A.S.P.

err, btw:
do Paul`s browser-security settings allow cookies?
(I put mine to the lowest setting for this site, after the problems started...)

Paul Marossy

Quote from: A.S.P. on October 04, 2005, 11:48:08 AM
err, btw:
do Paul`s browser-security settings allow cookies?
(I put mine to the lowest setting for this site, after the problems started...)

It was on medium. I just set it to "Accept All Cookies".

A.S.P.

just sent you mails to both addresses - got the 1st reply  :icon_smile:

Paul Marossy

Quote from: A.S.P. on October 04, 2005, 11:54:10 AM
just sent you mails to both addresses - got the 1st reply  :icon_smile:

I got both of them. This is a weird @#$%&* problem!

A.S.P.

got the 2nd one, too :icon_smile:

now the question is: which is your forum-related adress for this new forum?

(maybe open up a new window - log out - do as if you lost your password...)

Paul Marossy

Quotewhich is your forum-related adress for this new forum?

It was the first one listed - psalmist@att.net and I just changed it to psalmist@worldnet.att.net
I'll try closing the browser and opening up a new one.

A.S.P.

Paul Marossy

Well, I deleted all my cookies, have the computer set to accept all cookies and I even restarted the computer. STILL NO EMAIL!

I am beginning to think my account is jacked up. Am I going to have to create a new one?!

vanhansen

Let's check a few things.  Your cookies shouldn't have anything to do with this, it's all on the server side, or the software side.  Do this, check all the checkboxes in the Notifications settings in your profile, just for kicks and grins.  Set things up just like mine since I am getting notifications.  After you post your next reply, there will be a "Notify" button at the bottom right next to the "Reply" button.  Click on it.  It should ask if you want to enable notifcation or disable notification.  If it asks to disable, click cancel, this thread is set to notify you.  Just sit back and wait and check the "Show new replies to your posts." after you reply every so often.
Erik

Paul Marossy

A.S.P.