would this harm my amp?

Started by nero1985, October 05, 2005, 11:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

im gonna build one of those FX LOOP volume boxes but i was wondering if it would harm my amp if i put the master volume all the way to 10 and the FX LOOP volume to control the overal output,

thanks!

Nero F. Rox

JimRayden

To my knowledge, not at all.

On ANY amp, you should be able to turn all the knobs to 10 and not harm the amp. (Unless there's a warning, which is highly unlikely). It's the manufacturer's job to make the amp foolproof.

----------
Jimbo

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Not likely if you do it right.

You should get the schematic of your amp, just so you know how you'd be modifying the circuit.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

JimRayden

He won't be modding the amp, he'll be putting a pot in the FX loop. :)

------------
Jimbo

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I understand that. The advice is still valid.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

vanhansen

Nero, your amp is a Valvestate right?  That means it has a pre-amp tube in the pre-amp but uses a solid state power amp.  The volume box probably won't help much because all the "good" saturation of solid state amps is in the pre-amp.  It's not like tube amps where there's good overdrive in the power amp when pushing those power tubes.  If you saturate a solid state power amp, it will most likely sound like s**t . 

Using the volume box in your effects loop won't hurt your amp any, but it won't help either even if you set your master volume to 10.  Heck, even in tube amps it's not letting your push the power tubes more.  It's just limiting the signal going through the loop so you can adjust that touchy master volume without it cutting off at 1 and blowing the neighbors in to the next zip code on 1 1/2.  ;D  Fender master volumes are touchy like this.
Erik