Rangemaster Variations on input/output cap values

Started by GVC, October 19, 2005, 12:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GVC

So I purchased 4 OC44s on Martys recommendation today.  I am excited to get started with them, however even at that great price they are expensive.  Sooo... I would like to get the most out of them.  My thoughts are to put a DPDT center off toggle from small bear and hook it up to simultaneously change input and output capacitors to give me 3 different frequency "ranges" NPI in the Rangemaster circuit. 

Does anyone have any opinions they can share regarding Input output Cap values, what has worked and not worked with there setups?

MartyMart

Original caps for "treble nightmares"
0.047's for a slightly thicker sound
0.1's for full range ... I have tried all three and have them separately
One box switchable is a good idea :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

GVC

Thanks again Marty!

How does the full range sound?

Did you just adjust the input caps or both input and output?

petemoore

Here's my 2c
  try different values using sockets, take notes, adjust everything with each swapping, including the input and output caps at the same time and at same value for in and out bass cuttoff. I'm vague so develop a method and don't stick with it to find 'every' voicing a circuit is capable of... :icon_razz:
  I've found if staggering stage values, starting with a bit smaller input [or beginning of chain] capacitors compared to output [or end of chain] caps so that more of the bass cut is done before amplifying [because amping 'introduces' or recovers ... anyway you get bass back or whatever]..very personal thing voicing a circuit so your amp likes your guitar...
  Since your using a DPDT, you could change the input and output cap at, for a choice of 2 voices, 1 voice per 'side' of the  switch.

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

I never found the output cap to be worth fooling with on the RM. The input cap is where the magic happens. I used a DPDT with a second cap mounted on it, in parallel with input cap. I used the same value for both (4n7), as I use the RM with a fairly dark sounding setting on my amp. It works more like a HB/ Single-Coil switch for me. If you use a cleaner, brighter amp setting , the larger cap values might be useful. I might put in a 3 position DPDT with a third option at some point.

Kerry M

GVC

Thanks guys,

I was going to do the DPDT switch from smallbear with a third "center off" position so I could get three boosted frequencies by adding other caps in Parallel.  The center position being the stock RM and the other two being a "clean" and "fat" boost.

However, if it only makes sense to change the input cap then I can get away with a SPST center off and save space and components.

Does anyone else have an opinion on the input vs. the output caps?

MartyB

If anyone is interested, I have two variations of a switchable cap 'no-wiring' layout that I'll post when I get home tonight.  Both use a rotary switch.  One allows four different cap choices and an indicator LED.  The other has three, but with a cool tricolor LED indicator (RGB) that indicates which cap is selected.  All parts mount to the pcb in each.

GVC

Always interested Marty, that is why I am here ;)

Cool Idea with the tri color LED, does smallbear stock those?

Do you have any clips of your array of RM's?

GVC

Ok, I may be going a little feature crazy, but this blend cap idea seems to be a good one.  I also like the idea of pot controled input impedance (extremely useful with multiple Guitar/AMP setups), kind of using the input impedence as an effect level knob :icon_idea:.  With those two controls you could have the ultimate booster under the hood :icon_surprised: . OK maybe overboard, see post below of another thread.

Re: Capacitor Blending
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:07:30 AM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really think both the cap blend and the input impedance control are very useful with the FF type circuits.  I don't like the really wooly fuzz sound, so I use either small input caps or 100K resistor at input.

So many differences/complaints about various distortions/ODs/Fuzzes is just a matter of a cap value and the BLEND circuit allows for infinite variations. 

The Tweak Fuzz is a good example.  The different caps and switch isn't needed with the BLEND circuit.   

Thanks for posting the Easy Face schem with those 2 useful controls. 

MartyB

I'll whip some pics and soundclips out when I get home.  I'm writing on the sly at lunch right now.

GVC

MartyB

Okay here's the links for layouts and a coupla gut shots:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/MartyBs/rgbrnge

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/MartyBs/r3pcblyt

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/MartyBs/rs4

I can't get to the soundclips now till the weekend.  The suggested cap values were culled from another thread on this forum.  If there's interest in a package of pcb, germ transistor, Taiwan B-style box, 3-color LED, 3-way selector, 10k pcb-mount pot, battery snap and 4pdt, let me know.  I bought enough supplies to make several.  My goal was to sell some, make some for friends, and keep one.

GVC

Marty that looks great.   :o  tri colored Leds and components tied to the board 8)  I am thinking of trying this idea too (any ohter suggestions for these OC44 monsters? ) :

Author  Topic: Blend Cap with RangeMaster  (Read 69 times) 
MarshallPlexi

Blend Cap with RangeMaster
« on: May 31, 2005, 04:05:15 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I tried the Blend Cap mod with my Rangemaster clone and it did work very well. (0.005uF blended with 0.1uF using 100kB pot) The only problem was that the tone was too thick at the least of the setting. I can only assume that too much of the 0.1uF cap was being blended in making the tone too thick. I tried using a 500kB pot and I can't even tell if that helps. I did notice that the 500kB pot did make the travel a bit strange in that the extra low frequency did appear later in the pots travel.

So, anyone get this mod to work with no negative effects when turned all the way down? I have all of these components socketed so I can easily remove them and return the RM to stock form. (0.005uF)

The 0.005uF cap has a certain magic to it that is very squishey and open. Unfortunately this is lost on the Blend Cap mod.  :cry:

Pages: [1]         

« previous next »

Jump to:  Please select a destination: ----------------------------- DIY Stompboxes ----------------------------- => Building your own stompbox => Lounge - OT => For Sale/Trade => Store ----------------------------- Projects ----------------------------- => Beginner Project => Diode-Compression Op Amp ----------------------------- Schematics & Layouts ----------------------------- => Schematics & Layouts ----------------------------- Reference & Archives ----------------------------- => FAQ => Archives => First Stompbox Forum => iSi ----------------------------- Misc ----------------------------- => Misc./Testing   

DIYstompboxes.com | Powered by SMF 1.1 RC1.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.