Rodent/Rat Pedal...Want treble earlier on the filter control?

Started by 97STRATDELUXER, October 08, 2005, 06:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

97STRATDELUXER

I have the filter control wired so that turning it clockwise is brighter...I get most of the highend I need at around 3/4 of the way up on the pot...I'd actually like to have the highs coming in a bit sooner on the pot though...I've done most of Jack Orman's Fat Rat mods and I currently have a .0047 cap where the .001 was within the tone stack...If I lower this cap,will I have the highs coming in sooner on this pedal? Thanks for any ideas.

Eric H

Quote from: 97STRATDELUXER on October 08, 2005, 06:48:55 PM
I have the filter control wired so that turning it clockwise is brighter...I get most of the highend I need at around 3/4 of the way up on the pot...I'd actually like to have the highs coming in a bit sooner on the pot though...I've done most of Jack Orman's Fat Rat mods and I currently have a .0047 cap where the .001 was within the tone stack...If I lower this cap,will I have the highs coming in sooner on this pedal? Thanks for any ideas.
The smaller cap will raise the frequency of the treble-cut, which will give you something similar to what you ask for. I'm not familiar with those mods, but on the rat there is a 1.5k resistor between the pot and cap; if you make it smaller (1k, or so) it will have the same effect. You are using an audio-taper (log) pot?

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

97STRATDELUXER

Quote from: Eric H on October 08, 2005, 10:14:37 PM
Quote from: 97STRATDELUXER on October 08, 2005, 06:48:55 PM
The smaller cap will raise the frequency of the treble-cut, which will give you something similar to what you ask for. I'm not familiar with those mods, but on the rat there is a 1.5k resistor between the pot and cap; if you make it smaller (1k, or so) it will have the same effect. You are using an audio-taper (log) pot?

-Eric

Hello Eric and thanks for posting.....Yes I do have the correct pot and I've already done the 1.5k to 1k mod in the tone stack...I have this .0047 cap socketed and maybe I just need to continue to track back towards the .0033 value or was it .001?

Eric H

Quote from: 97STRATDELUXER on October 08, 2005, 10:29:08 PM

Hello Eric and thanks for posting.....Yes I do have the correct pot and I've already done the 1.5k to 1k mod in the tone stack...I have this .0047 cap socketed and maybe I just need to continue to track back towards the .0033 value or was it .001?

The original was .0033  --a pretty small change. I'd try a .001, or .002. You can also try lowering that resistor to 470R.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH